SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#238735 - 07/22/08 02:14 PM First impression...M-Audio Sono 88
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Wow it sure is long..54 inches..only 9 inches deep and 3 inches high..

Weighs in at 17 pounds..

This is info that can not be found on line or in the manual..

The keyboard fits in my GigSkinz bag (G70 size)..

When I listened to on line MP3's of the stock sounds..I thought they were just okay..and would do the job I intended...A controller with go to sounds as an extra..

My primary consideration to get this board was the convenience ..built in USB Audio and midi interfaces..

Also the assortment of mixing control..everything can be controlled independently...The Mic input..The guitar/instrument input...and the voices (on board sounds..all of these are controlled with a master volume too..including a pair of audio ins..

This all worked perfectly..and should be ideal with the trio..

As a controller (midi) the EMU is better with on board controller's ..buttons and knobs..but the Sono 88 shines with the over all features..

The key feel is nice..about the same resistance as the EMU...both are semi weighted...at first I thought the Sono would have the same keybed as the Axiom 61 I used ..but the Sono is much better..easier to play than the Axiom61..

For a just released keyboard , I was surprised that I could not load the drivers...I have SP3 XP and I had to download the new drivers...It also installed the new firmware..I am glad that M-Audio included updates to firmware..

Back to the sounds..The Steinway grand sample is not too bad...as are the strings, organ and Rhodes..Choir is ok and clav I can never play..

The GM sound bank is decent..I thought it would be the soft synth Key Rig (I also own)..but it seems to be better on the Sono..

I will give it try tomorrow night on the boardwalk gig...

So far I believe it is a keeper..

More too come....or maybe an offer to sell..

#238736 - 07/22/08 06:06 PM Re: First impression...M-Audio Sono 88
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
August 1st.

#238737 - 07/22/08 07:59 PM Re: First impression...M-Audio Sono 88
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:
August 1st.

or sooner

#238738 - 07/22/08 11:17 PM Re: First impression...M-Audio Sono 88
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
hee hee ... anything to keep from lugging that G70 around huh!

#238739 - 07/22/08 11:22 PM Re: First impression...M-Audio Sono 88
miden Offline

Loc: The World
It is good to see M-Audio seem to have improved its line.

The original had so much promise, but never lived up to the hype, and was simply, a dog. ( I know I had one!)

The series unit Fran is testing may turn out to be a watershed for M-Audio in their controller department.

Dennis

#238740 - 07/23/08 05:08 PM Re: First impression...M-Audio Sono 88
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
the problems I've heard about for the past couple of years is reliability. I hope they got that fixed!

------------------
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
www.kayesmusicscene.com
(Retired 2021)

#238741 - 07/24/08 07:24 AM Re: First impression...M-Audio Sono 88
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
M-Audio ProKeys Sono 88 for sale...used on a one and a half hour show on the boardwalk....

Just kidding..Cass and Donny..good thing you didn't bet money..I am keeping the Sono..

The Sono 88 worked perfectly with the trio..Once I set the mixer correctly..allowing head room for my master volume on the Sono...with head room for the Sono control of the mic..and voices (presets) on the Sono...After that ..all my control (volume changes) were done on the Sono..

This controller is the board I need (wanted) for that September gig..(the hard to get through the crowd to set up gig)...

The piano, organ, and string patches (voices)..cut through the mix...And the Sono 88 has patch remain (like Roland)..I can hold a sound while switching to another..no glitches...

It took a little while for me to get comfortable with the keys...but liked the keys in quick order...

If you guys/gals are looking for a nice piano...even if you are not interested in all the Sono 88 has to offer...mic,instrument, aux ins,..USB Audio and MIDI interfaces...a GM wave table etc..I would recommend this 17 pound piano..The grand piano sounds terrific...and plays with great dynamics too..velocity from a soft push on a key with no sound to a wide open sound with a hard strike...just like the real deal..

The preset organ is also very playable..( jazz organ with a little percussion)...The strings are full and very velocity sensitive..the choir doesn't do it for me, but I am use to Roland choirs...

I found myself using the grand most all night ..while switching to the organ and strings....

It was nice being able to control the mixes from the Sono instead of reaching down to the mixer...

I guess this finishes my first impression...

BTW: The Sono88 also fits in my soft bag (g70) size bag....made it easy to carry..the bag folds in half and I tuck it out of the way..

As I mentioned this is the perfect controller board to use with the band (trio)....We use MP3 tracks (our own) , and sequences played from the lap top..Rarely need arranger play..and If I do something on the cuff..I use "jammer live" as my drum machine..with "Mixcraft 4" as my wrapper playing combinations (same as zones) with VST's...It all works fine....

So..........Not for SALE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#238742 - 07/24/08 07:29 AM Re: First impression...M-Audio Sono 88
Dnj Offline

Fran.....good luck!

Glad to hear everything went well on your maiden voyage down the shore last night with the M Audio Sono 88. Only YOU can tell if its right for your needs....be happy, make money

Carry On

#238743 - 07/24/08 11:44 AM Re: First impression...M-Audio Sono 88
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Fran, glad to hear you are finally happy with something and will keep it more than a week or two - now maybe a month or two. Let's see what you do with it after the Sept. job.

Seriously, the Sono 88 sounds like a nice machine. I still have no need for another board, but it's good to know where to start looking if I change my mind. It may be worth keeping long past September (in the Rain).

#238744 - 07/24/08 01:42 PM Re: First impression...M-Audio Sono 88
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
So..........Not for SALE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For now....

Let's revisit it in six months, eh, Fran..?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online