SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#238685 - 07/22/08 05:46 PM Re: Last 3 songs added to your gigs?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
Hey, Scott...dig old junior.

Hi Capt. even though I realize you're a hardcore hard jazz fan, I'm not surprised cuz Brown's appeal is able to cross music genre boundaries. Interestingly enough, i recently read a review in a leading JAZZ magazine praising his album "Down Home Chrome". I grew up listening to every genre of music (from Country, standards to Rock to Classical growing up), but started out studying classical as a kid, playing rock in high school, and then jazz & blues in college, and now I'm doing quite a few Country tunes. I feel, irregardless of the music genre label and beyond expected technical proficiency, it's the artist's ability to honestly communicate with heart & soul is what makes a song performance a memorable.

Speaking of: here's a Junior Brown song that's fun to perform at parties:
Highway Patrol

Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
I actually had a case built for a C-3 once. Added a Fender lap steel as a "third level", and finished the thing in white enamel.Quit drinking shortly thereafter.
Cool. Got any pics to post of it?

Scott

#238686 - 07/22/08 06:01 PM Re: Last 3 songs added to your gigs?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
I hear you knockin' - Dave Edmunds

Love the one you're with - Stephen Stills

Get Back - The Beatles

Diki, I can't believe you haven't been doing Love the One and Get Back. Those are two dynamite beach tunes. Get Back can go on forever if you got some great guys to solo.

#238687 - 07/22/08 11:21 PM Re: Last 3 songs added to your gigs?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
How did that happen? Was this before the days of copyright?

You can't copyright a title.

#238688 - 07/23/08 12:49 AM Re: Last 3 songs added to your gigs?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:
Diki, I can't believe you haven't been doing Love the One and Get Back. Those are two dynamite beach tunes. Get Back can go on forever if you got some great guys to solo.

Well, I've played them with live bands for years, but only just got round to adding them for the duo. I guess for every one song that I 'should' have already added, I've got several already done that no-one else does!

I play enough lollipops that adding chestnuts like these is not exactly high priority

Anyway, the duo is starting to go on the back burner a bit... Got a steady Fri and Sat night with a five piece starting up this weekend... A lot of Crusaders, R&B and funky New Orleans stuff to learn (or re-learn!). Sure is nice not to have to figure out which style is the least annoying on them! The drummer actually has a Grammy (whoop-te do! ), so I'm looking forward to the drums beating the pants off my G70, and that ain't exactly an easy thing to do!

I must confess, it's going to be nice to just play, and not 'operate an arranger' for a while!

#238689 - 07/23/08 04:03 AM Re: Last 3 songs added to your gigs?
Dnj Offline

Hijack?

#238690 - 07/23/08 04:30 AM Re: Last 3 songs added to your gigs?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
"Walking My Baby Back Home"...done as a instrumental jazz ballad with chord subs.

"The Homecoming" by Hagood Hardy. also an instrumental...finally got the correct written arrangement and an "assembled" style that works.

"New Kid In Town" by the Eagles...a favorite I used to play in a four piece group...now on arranger as instrumental.(of course, done in my own arrangement)...love the chord progression in this tune.

Ian

#238691 - 07/24/08 06:31 AM Re: Last 3 songs added to your gigs?
Dnj Offline

I'll bet we're looking at each others songs and saying Huh?!!!! I would never do that song or what the heck is that? This thread is a wake up call to how much different musically we really are.

#238692 - 07/24/08 01:36 PM Re: Last 3 songs added to your gigs?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
And thank God for that, or we'd all be competing for the same gig!

What you DON'T see much up there is anything contemporary (is the Toby Keith the newest?). Personally, I think it's because the arrangers are not very good at this stuff, but MAYBE it's just 'cos we're all a bunch of old farts (and so are our audiences!)...

Just kidding, guys!

Actually, it slipped my mind... the last one we added was Jack Johnson - 'Sitting, Waiting, Wishing', from 2005

Damn those kids, and their newfangled songs! Hey you, get off my lawn!

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 07-24-2008).]

#238693 - 07/24/08 02:05 PM Re: Last 3 songs added to your gigs?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Scott, never took a picture of the C, which I donated to a small church in 1984, but thought the other day how neat it would be to have a photo. It's about an hour's motorcycle ride away, so I'm going to take a small "road trip" the first week-end in August to see if it's still presentable. My Hammond repair man says it's still down in that area, although he hasn't made a call to work on it for several years.

Russ

#238694 - 07/27/08 10:58 PM Re: Last 3 songs added to your gigs?
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
The newest song on the list (I believe) is "I Kissed a Girl" by Katy Perry, which we added a couple of weeks ago.

It was Number 1 on the Billboard Charts in June this year (I think), and we play it backed by a White Label Dance remix MP3 of same.

"You Shouldn't Kiss Me Like This" (Toby Keith) is from around 2000 (or 2001?) I'm not an expert on TK...

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online