Last 3 songs added to your gigs?

Posted by: Bill in Dayton

Last 3 songs added to your gigs? - 07/21/08 08:59 AM

Always interesting to see what kind of material our peers are working on...

My newest tunes are:

1) Life is like a mountain railway (Gospel)
2) Bueno Suera (Louis Prima)
3) Hello Young Lovers (King & I)

Who's next?

------------------
Bill in Dayton
Posted by: Dnj

Re: Last 3 songs added to your gigs? - 07/21/08 09:05 AM

Your My World (Cilla Black/Tom Jones)

Il Mundo (Patrizio Buanne)

Teach Me Tonight (McGuire Sisters)

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 07-21-2008).]
Posted by: Fran Carango

Re: Last 3 songs added to your gigs? - 07/21/08 09:21 AM

You were mine.

Come Prima..

I wish you love...

My solo work..not the trio

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 07-21-2008).]
Posted by: captain Russ

Re: Last 3 songs added to your gigs? - 07/21/08 09:35 AM

Donny, I've lost "Teach Me Tonight". Could i get it from you? Chords and words would be greatly appreciated.

"forgetful" Russ
Posted by: Bill in Dayton

Re: Last 3 songs added to your gigs? - 07/21/08 09:37 AM

Russ-

You have mail...

------------------
Bill in Dayton
Posted by: Fran Carango

Re: Last 3 songs added to your gigs? - 07/21/08 09:38 AM

Em7 A7 A7+5 D Gdim F#m
Did you say I've got a lot to learn?

B7 Em7 Bm7-5 A7
Well, don't think I'm trying not to learn.

B7 Em Em7 A7
Since this is a perfect spot to learn,

A7+5 D D6 Fdim A7
Teach me tonight.

Em7 A7+5 D Gdim F#m
Starting with the A-B-C of it,

B7 Em7 Bm7-5 A7
Right down to the X-Y-Z of it,

B7 Em Em7 A7
Help me solve the mystery of it -

A D Gdim D
Teach me tonight.

Bridge:

Em A7 A7+5 D D6
The sky's a blackboard high above you,

Em A7 A7+5 D Bm
And if a shooting star goes by,

Em E7 F#m
I'll use that star to write "I Love You"

Bm7-5 E7 A7
A thousand times across the sky.

Em7 A7 A7+5 D Gdim F#m
One thing isn't very clear, my love;

B7 Em7 Bm7-5 A7
Should the teacher stand so near, my love?

B7 Em Em7 A7
Graduation's almost here, my love -

Em7 A7 D Cdim Em7 A7 D Gdim D
Teach me tonight, come on and teach me tonight.
Posted by: Scottyee

Re: Last 3 songs added to your gigs? - 07/21/08 10:06 AM

Inspired by Junior Brown 's awesome surf medley guitar playing: LISTEN HERE I've recently added this medley to my performance repetoire. Great opportunity to showcase Yamaha's SA twangy guitar voices :

Pipeline; Walk Don't Run; Sleepwalk; followed with (including vocals):
Secret (asian ) Agent Man !

That said, I'm looking forward to catching Junior Brown's show when he performs here in the Bay Area(Sausalito, CA) August 30th . A Versatile performer (Country, Blues, Rock & Roll), Brown developed the "guit-steel," a double-necked guitar combining the standard instrument with a lap steel.

Scott
Posted by: cassp

Re: Last 3 songs added to your gigs? - 07/21/08 10:38 AM

I knew I played different music, but this is way different than anything yet.

I Shot the Sherrif - Eric Clapton
You Shouldn't Kiss me Like That - Toby Keith
I've Got to Stop Thinking "Bout That - James Taylor
Against the Wind/Beautiful Loser - Bob Seger
Posted by: Stephenm52

Re: Last 3 songs added to your gigs? - 07/21/08 11:39 AM

A medley of Burt Bacharach tunes:

Raindrops
Do You Know the Way to San Jose
This Guy's in Love With You

Re: Last 3 songs added to your gigs? - 07/21/08 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
Donny, I've lost "Teach Me Tonight". Could i get it from you? Chords and words would be greatly appreciated.

"forgetful" Russ

I would Russ but Fran has beaten me to it .....great song! Good luck with it..

Check your mail

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 07-21-2008).]
Posted by: btweengigs

Re: Last 3 songs added to your gigs? - 07/21/08 12:10 PM

I just re-incarnated Neil Sedaka's "Breaking Up Is Hard To Do"...both versions: Cha Cha and Ballad. FUN.

"Moments to Remember" - Four Lads

"Fool For Your Love" - Mickey Gilley

Eddie
PS - Good, interesting thread, Bill.

Re: Last 3 songs added to your gigs? - 07/21/08 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by btweengigs:
Eddie
PS - Good, interesting thread, Bill.

This hopefully will lessen the tension & friction & expose to all many of the different facets & genre's that many people enjoy playing, which in-turn will help to better understand where people are coming from when they post about what they like in way of different styles, methods of play, & choices made in gear to accomplish that with a comfort level they desire & other musicians can respect. Its all good , because its ALL MUSIC!
Posted by: cgiles

Re: Last 3 songs added to your gigs? - 07/21/08 01:28 PM

Nature Boy. Done with medium tempo walking bass after atempo intro with just guitar and organ.

Angel Eyes. Done as a semi-pretty, semi-blues ballad.

Moanin'. Done as typical jazz organ trio, ie., vehicle for a prolonged jam.

Both guitar player and I knew the tunes, had just never done them together.

chas
Posted by: Jerry T

Re: Last 3 songs added to your gigs? - 07/21/08 04:01 PM

1. Resta Cu MMe (Modugno)
2. No More Pasta Mama (Gaylords)
If anyone can direct me to English or Italian lyrics to Pizza Wundabar (De Hoehner)that'll be #3 on my list.
Ciao,
Jerry

[This message has been edited by Jerry T (edited 07-21-2008).]
Posted by: PraiseTheLord

Re: Last 3 songs added to your gigs? - 07/21/08 04:13 PM

Think About His Love - Walt Harrah
Make It Real - Mark Lowry/ Bill Gaither
God Bless the USA - Lee Greenwood
Posted by: zuki

Re: Last 3 songs added to your gigs? - 07/21/08 07:14 PM

Another Saturday Night
Night and Day
Crazy Little Thing Called Love
Posted by: hammer

Re: Last 3 songs added to your gigs? - 07/21/08 09:15 PM

It Had To Be You
Sentimental Journey
12th Street Rag

I could use God Bless the USA.

Hammer
Posted by: Beakybird

Re: Last 3 songs added to your gigs? - 07/21/08 09:44 PM

Ain't That a Kick in The Head
Ain't No Mountain High Enough
Half As Much

Beakybird
Posted by: Diki

Re: Last 3 songs added to your gigs? - 07/21/08 11:25 PM

I hear you knockin' - Dave Edmunds

Love the one you're with - Stephen Stills

Get Back - The Beatles
Posted by: hellboy44

Re: Last 3 songs added to your gigs? - 07/22/08 02:13 AM

Lay Down Sally - Eric Clapton

I Kissed a Girl - Katy Perry

The Wall - Pink Floyd
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: Last 3 songs added to your gigs? - 07/22/08 06:31 AM

Not new to me, but long "almost" forgotten:
Stars
Bring Him Home, and
Empty Chairs at Empty Tables.
All from Les Mis, and sparked by seeing it THREE times in the last 4 weeks!

(Yes, I know ... I'm a theater junky!)

Re: Last 3 songs added to your gigs? - 07/22/08 08:18 AM

* Just Once
* Skylark
* Easy to be Hard.

Just reviving old favorites i have not played in a while.

R.
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: Last 3 songs added to your gigs? - 07/22/08 08:47 AM

I am adding 2 - "Angel Eyes" - but not the one chas is adding ... this one is a pop tune by the Jeff Healey Band ... and Marley's "One Love" ... I am also considering reviving "Yellow Bird" after hearing the Caribbean/Reggae band play it on the cruise ship ...

chas ... I think it is interesting how songs such as "Nature Boy" become standard jazz tunes ...

Russ ... "Skylark" a great tune with beautiful changes ...

t.

Re: Last 3 songs added to your gigs? - 07/22/08 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
Inspired by Junior Brown 's awesome surf medley guitar playing: LISTEN HERE I've recently added this medley to my performance repetoire. Great opportunity to showcase Yamaha's SA twangy guitar voices :

Pipeline; Walk Don't Run; Sleepwalk; followed with (including vocals):
Secret (asian ) Agent Man !

That said, I'm looking forward to catching Junior Brown's show when he performs here in the Bay Area(Sausalito, CA) August 30th . A Versatile performer (Country, Blues, Rock & Roll), Brown developed the "guit-steel," a double-necked guitar combining the standard instrument with a lap steel.

Scott

Scott ... I was disappointed that it wasn't YOUR version ...

t.

Re: Last 3 songs added to your gigs? - 07/22/08 09:00 AM

Chas, great minds think alike. Play Nature Boy as often as appropriate...several times a week. Ever play Lady Blue...Leon Russell tune he and George Benson recorded? Nice little ballad.

R.

Re: Last 3 songs added to your gigs? - 07/22/08 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
Scott ... I was disappointed that it wasn't YOUR version.

HI Tony. The version posted is of course Junior Browns's, featuring his self customed made "guit steel". Though my Tyros2 rendition's definitely receiving enthusiastic approval by my audiences, especially at outdoor party fest-events, it can't compare to the awesome guitar technique and sound Junior Brown delivers playing the real thing. That said, I'm not planning to post my version here now .

Re: Last 3 songs added to your gigs? - 07/22/08 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
HI Tony. The version posted is of course Junior Browns's, featuring his self customed made "guit steel". Though my Tyros2 rendition's definitely receiving enthusiastic approval by my audiences, especially at outdoor party fest-events, it can't compare to the awesome guitar technique and sound Junior Brown delivers playing the real thing. That said, I'm not planning to post my version here now .

Understood ..

t.

Re: Last 3 songs added to your gigs? - 07/22/08 10:15 AM

Hey, Scott...dig old junior. Saw him here in Lexington. Have a fondness, since I cut my teeth on Walk don't Run, Pipeline, Sleepwalk and the like. I actually had a case built for a C-3 once. Added a Fender lap steel as a "third level", and finished the thing in white enamel. Quit drinking shortly thereafter. Still break out a Chandler steel occasionally, and am looking for an old double Fender with legs. Loved Santo and Johnnie, the guys who recorded Sleepwalk originally.

Good to hear from you!

R.

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 07-22-2008).]
Posted by: Gord

Re: Last 3 songs added to your gigs? - 07/22/08 12:31 PM

-Just added three more Irish tunes
-Come down the Mountain Katie Daly
-Donegal Danny
-Carrickfergus
Posted by: cgiles

Re: Last 3 songs added to your gigs? - 07/22/08 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:

chas ... I think it is interesting how songs such as "Nature Boy" become standard jazz tunes ...

t.

Tony, the whole subject is interesting and I'm sure there are as many theories as there are musicians. The way I see it, great tunes reach the exalted status of being declared 'standards'; not 'JAZZ standards', just 'standards'. As I'm sure you know, a large number (and some of the best) of them started life as show tunes but many also came from pop/rock (Yesterday/Beatles), etc. Because of their good song structure and great chord progressions, a lot of them have been covered by most jazz guys. There are a few that, despite a decent structure and conventional chords, have such a 'mush' factor that no jazz musician in the world will play it (ex. 'Feelings' ). Of course there are true jazz standards as well, but these are usually tunes composed by jazz musicians/composers.

Another weird thing is different tunes with the same title. Examples; 'Time after Time'/Cindy Lauper(ironically covered by Miles) and the 'real' Time After Time (that I play). 'The Thrill is Gone'/BB King and the 'real' version that I play . There are many others. How did that happen? Was this before the days of copyright?

Like to hear your comments (perhaps on a new thread).

chas

Re: Last 3 songs added to your gigs? - 07/22/08 05:46 PM

Quote:
Hey, Scott...dig old junior.

Hi Capt. even though I realize you're a hardcore hard jazz fan, I'm not surprised cuz Brown's appeal is able to cross music genre boundaries. Interestingly enough, i recently read a review in a leading JAZZ magazine praising his album "Down Home Chrome". I grew up listening to every genre of music (from Country, standards to Rock to Classical growing up), but started out studying classical as a kid, playing rock in high school, and then jazz & blues in college, and now I'm doing quite a few Country tunes. I feel, irregardless of the music genre label and beyond expected technical proficiency, it's the artist's ability to honestly communicate with heart & soul is what makes a song performance a memorable.

Speaking of: here's a Junior Brown song that's fun to perform at parties:
Highway Patrol

Quote:
I actually had a case built for a C-3 once. Added a Fender lap steel as a "third level", and finished the thing in white enamel.Quit drinking shortly thereafter.
Cool. Got any pics to post of it?

Scott
Posted by: cassp

Re: Last 3 songs added to your gigs? - 07/22/08 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
I hear you knockin' - Dave Edmunds

Love the one you're with - Stephen Stills

Get Back - The Beatles

Diki, I can't believe you haven't been doing Love the One and Get Back. Those are two dynamite beach tunes. Get Back can go on forever if you got some great guys to solo.
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: Last 3 songs added to your gigs? - 07/22/08 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
How did that happen? Was this before the days of copyright?

You can't copyright a title.

Re: Last 3 songs added to your gigs? - 07/23/08 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:
Diki, I can't believe you haven't been doing Love the One and Get Back. Those are two dynamite beach tunes. Get Back can go on forever if you got some great guys to solo.

Well, I've played them with live bands for years, but only just got round to adding them for the duo. I guess for every one song that I 'should' have already added, I've got several already done that no-one else does!

I play enough lollipops that adding chestnuts like these is not exactly high priority

Anyway, the duo is starting to go on the back burner a bit... Got a steady Fri and Sat night with a five piece starting up this weekend... A lot of Crusaders, R&B and funky New Orleans stuff to learn (or re-learn!). Sure is nice not to have to figure out which style is the least annoying on them! The drummer actually has a Grammy (whoop-te do! ), so I'm looking forward to the drums beating the pants off my G70, and that ain't exactly an easy thing to do!

I must confess, it's going to be nice to just play, and not 'operate an arranger' for a while!

Re: Last 3 songs added to your gigs? - 07/23/08 04:03 AM

Hijack?
Posted by: ianmcnll

Re: Last 3 songs added to your gigs? - 07/23/08 04:30 AM

"Walking My Baby Back Home"...done as a instrumental jazz ballad with chord subs.

"The Homecoming" by Hagood Hardy. also an instrumental...finally got the correct written arrangement and an "assembled" style that works.

"New Kid In Town" by the Eagles...a favorite I used to play in a four piece group...now on arranger as instrumental.(of course, done in my own arrangement)...love the chord progression in this tune.

Ian

Re: Last 3 songs added to your gigs? - 07/24/08 06:31 AM

I'll bet we're looking at each others songs and saying Huh?!!!! I would never do that song or what the heck is that? This thread is a wake up call to how much different musically we really are.

Re: Last 3 songs added to your gigs? - 07/24/08 01:36 PM

And thank God for that, or we'd all be competing for the same gig!

What you DON'T see much up there is anything contemporary (is the Toby Keith the newest?). Personally, I think it's because the arrangers are not very good at this stuff, but MAYBE it's just 'cos we're all a bunch of old farts (and so are our audiences!)...

Just kidding, guys!

Actually, it slipped my mind... the last one we added was Jack Johnson - 'Sitting, Waiting, Wishing', from 2005

Damn those kids, and their newfangled songs! Hey you, get off my lawn!

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 07-24-2008).]

Re: Last 3 songs added to your gigs? - 07/24/08 02:05 PM

Scott, never took a picture of the C, which I donated to a small church in 1984, but thought the other day how neat it would be to have a photo. It's about an hour's motorcycle ride away, so I'm going to take a small "road trip" the first week-end in August to see if it's still presentable. My Hammond repair man says it's still down in that area, although he hasn't made a call to work on it for several years.

Russ
Posted by: hellboy44

Re: Last 3 songs added to your gigs? - 07/27/08 10:58 PM

The newest song on the list (I believe) is "I Kissed a Girl" by Katy Perry, which we added a couple of weeks ago.

It was Number 1 on the Billboard Charts in June this year (I think), and we play it backed by a White Label Dance remix MP3 of same.

"You Shouldn't Kiss Me Like This" (Toby Keith) is from around 2000 (or 2001?) I'm not an expert on TK...