SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#238675 - 07/22/08 06:31 AM Re: Last 3 songs added to your gigs?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Not new to me, but long "almost" forgotten:
Stars
Bring Him Home, and
Empty Chairs at Empty Tables.
All from Les Mis, and sparked by seeing it THREE times in the last 4 weeks!

(Yes, I know ... I'm a theater junky!)

#238676 - 07/22/08 08:18 AM Re: Last 3 songs added to your gigs?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
* Just Once
* Skylark
* Easy to be Hard.

Just reviving old favorites i have not played in a while.

R.

#238677 - 07/22/08 08:47 AM Re: Last 3 songs added to your gigs?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I am adding 2 - "Angel Eyes" - but not the one chas is adding ... this one is a pop tune by the Jeff Healey Band ... and Marley's "One Love" ... I am also considering reviving "Yellow Bird" after hearing the Caribbean/Reggae band play it on the cruise ship ...

chas ... I think it is interesting how songs such as "Nature Boy" become standard jazz tunes ...

Russ ... "Skylark" a great tune with beautiful changes ...

t.

#238678 - 07/22/08 08:50 AM Re: Last 3 songs added to your gigs?
tony mads usa Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
Inspired by Junior Brown 's awesome surf medley guitar playing: LISTEN HERE I've recently added this medley to my performance repetoire. Great opportunity to showcase Yamaha's SA twangy guitar voices :

Pipeline; Walk Don't Run; Sleepwalk; followed with (including vocals):
Secret (asian ) Agent Man !

That said, I'm looking forward to catching Junior Brown's show when he performs here in the Bay Area(Sausalito, CA) August 30th . A Versatile performer (Country, Blues, Rock & Roll), Brown developed the "guit-steel," a double-necked guitar combining the standard instrument with a lap steel.

Scott

Scott ... I was disappointed that it wasn't YOUR version ...

t.

#238679 - 07/22/08 09:00 AM Re: Last 3 songs added to your gigs?
captain Russ Offline

Chas, great minds think alike. Play Nature Boy as often as appropriate...several times a week. Ever play Lady Blue...Leon Russell tune he and George Benson recorded? Nice little ballad.

R.

#238680 - 07/22/08 09:19 AM Re: Last 3 songs added to your gigs?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
Scott ... I was disappointed that it wasn't YOUR version.

HI Tony. The version posted is of course Junior Browns's, featuring his self customed made "guit steel". Though my Tyros2 rendition's definitely receiving enthusiastic approval by my audiences, especially at outdoor party fest-events, it can't compare to the awesome guitar technique and sound Junior Brown delivers playing the real thing. That said, I'm not planning to post my version here now .

#238681 - 07/22/08 09:34 AM Re: Last 3 songs added to your gigs?
tony mads usa Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
HI Tony. The version posted is of course Junior Browns's, featuring his self customed made "guit steel". Though my Tyros2 rendition's definitely receiving enthusiastic approval by my audiences, especially at outdoor party fest-events, it can't compare to the awesome guitar technique and sound Junior Brown delivers playing the real thing. That said, I'm not planning to post my version here now .

Understood ..

t.

#238682 - 07/22/08 10:15 AM Re: Last 3 songs added to your gigs?
captain Russ Offline

Hey, Scott...dig old junior. Saw him here in Lexington. Have a fondness, since I cut my teeth on Walk don't Run, Pipeline, Sleepwalk and the like. I actually had a case built for a C-3 once. Added a Fender lap steel as a "third level", and finished the thing in white enamel. Quit drinking shortly thereafter. Still break out a Chandler steel occasionally, and am looking for an old double Fender with legs. Loved Santo and Johnnie, the guys who recorded Sleepwalk originally.

Good to hear from you!

R.

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 07-22-2008).]

#238683 - 07/22/08 12:31 PM Re: Last 3 songs added to your gigs?
Gord Offline

Loc: Kelowna,British Columbia,Canad...
-Just added three more Irish tunes
-Come down the Mountain Katie Daly
-Donegal Danny
-Carrickfergus

#238684 - 07/22/08 12:51 PM Re: Last 3 songs added to your gigs?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:

chas ... I think it is interesting how songs such as "Nature Boy" become standard jazz tunes ...

t.

Tony, the whole subject is interesting and I'm sure there are as many theories as there are musicians. The way I see it, great tunes reach the exalted status of being declared 'standards'; not 'JAZZ standards', just 'standards'. As I'm sure you know, a large number (and some of the best) of them started life as show tunes but many also came from pop/rock (Yesterday/Beatles), etc. Because of their good song structure and great chord progressions, a lot of them have been covered by most jazz guys. There are a few that, despite a decent structure and conventional chords, have such a 'mush' factor that no jazz musician in the world will play it (ex. 'Feelings' ). Of course there are true jazz standards as well, but these are usually tunes composed by jazz musicians/composers.

Another weird thing is different tunes with the same title. Examples; 'Time after Time'/Cindy Lauper(ironically covered by Miles) and the 'real' Time After Time (that I play). 'The Thrill is Gone'/BB King and the 'real' version that I play . There are many others. How did that happen? Was this before the days of copyright?

Like to hear your comments (perhaps on a new thread).

chas

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online