SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#237942 - 07/12/08 12:41 PM Food for thought about G series
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Have you ever wondered why Roland released the MP3 player in a new operating system ..only for the E-80 and not the G70?

Think about it..There is no hardware advantage the E-80 has that it could not have been included ...also the G70..

Want to know my thoughts?

Who cares if you don't.. Here they are..

There is and has been on the work table a new Roland top of the line arranger work station...(GX90)??

Not only does it have an MP3 player, but 8 track recording...(secret specs)...

Roland would be shooting themselves in the foot if they released the MP3 option in a new OS..for the G70...Most of us would just keep the updated G70 rather than buy a new Roland G series...

Along the same line of thought..there will not be a new top model E series this time around....possibly a model that would fall under the E80 with some of the goodies ..vocal in put and harmonizer...

Fear not ..The new G series is on it's way...Than I hope that Roland releases the MP3 upgrade for the G70..

Sure I will buy the new model, but I want to keep the G70 too..hopefully with the MP3 modification...

#237943 - 07/12/08 12:50 PM Re: Food for thought about G series
Dnj Offline

I'm waiting patiently....I hope the T3 & Gx90? come out together at years end so we can compare and weigh our needs.....If it looks like & built like the new Fanthom with that big color theyre off to a good start....
http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?ObjectId=919&ParentId=83

#237944 - 07/12/08 01:02 PM Re: Food for thought about G series
miden Offline

Loc: The World
I reckon you guys will be waiting a lot longer than the end of the year for a new 76 note arranger from Roland. And almost certainly nothing when the T3 is released which according to some sources is in September.

Dennis

#237945 - 07/12/08 01:33 PM Re: Food for thought about G series
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Fran, it's well known that there ARE considerable hardware differences between a G70 and an E80.

There are quite a few features from the E80 that Roland explained (a long time ago) could NEVER make it to the G70 because of the hardware. The lyrics viewer in style mode, the .bmp viewer, amongst others. Remember there are TWO Mastering Tools sections in an E80 (one for the Keyboard Parts, one for the Style/Song Parts), two extra MFX sections and a different output structure.

The E80 is anything but a repackaged G70...

#237946 - 07/12/08 01:53 PM Re: Food for thought about G series
Fran Carango Offline

And where are the differences for the audio path...I say none..

I think it is as simple as making use of the insert effect path..

#237947 - 07/12/08 02:02 PM Re: Food for thought about G series
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Well, who knows, Fran?

I certainly take Roland at their word when they say there ARE considerable hardware differences. Plus, I don't think the mp3 player has anything to do with the IFX section. AFAIK, when you use the mp3 player on the E80, it doesn't disable any of the effects blocks, so I don't think that is the mechanism used.

But finally, to be honest, adding an mp3 player to the G70 is the LAST thing that Roland should do to it! There are still a few OS niggles that need changing a LOT more than adding yet another marginally useful NEW feature.

And BRING BACK THE CHORD SEQUENCER...! The hell with MP3's!

#237948 - 07/12/08 02:34 PM Re: Food for thought about G series
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.
I have never owned either of these boards , nor have I ever seen either , so this may sound like a dumb response.

But ,

Is there a reason you can`t hook up an MP3 player to the audio inputs ?

Or would that not work ?

Sorry , but I had to ask , thanks.

Gary 

#237949 - 07/12/08 02:40 PM Re: Food for thought about G series
Fran Carango Offline

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jedi:
[b]I have never owned either of these boards , nor have I ever seen either , so this may sound like a dumb response.

But ,

Is there a reason you can`t hook up an MP3 player to the audio inputs ?

Gary, that works fine with it's own volume control too..

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 07-12-2008).]

#237950 - 07/12/08 02:45 PM Re: Food for thought about G series
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Sure you can, with separate controls, but it would be strictly outboard; no integration with the board at all. In other words, you couldn't tie it to a user program.

#237951 - 07/12/08 02:59 PM Re: Food for thought about G series
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
I don't want to start a flap here, but does anything say 'amateur hour' more than someone playing (or faking) along to an mp3 recording? I realize that an on-board mp3 player may have a few more bells and whistles and possibly some navigational advantages over a standalone player, but aside from 'break' music, what's the point? Why not just put a buck in the jukebox and play along with that. Sorry, I just can't see it, especially with a band. I thought the whole purpose of a BAND was to provide LIVE music. Maybe some of you 'PRO's' can 'splain' it to me.

chas

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online