SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#237111 - 06/29/08 10:08 PM PC GERUS...Help needed Hard Drive problem...
Dnj Offline

I have two WORKING laptop Hard drives EXTERNAL both used for backup in USB cases.

I wanted to install one on my Tyros......so before I did that I DELETED all the files on the Hard Drives on my PC....

Now they dont work in the Tyros....They will not be recognized in my PC USB ports either....is it possible that I deleted some kind of utility files that make these things work....if so how can I fix them or reinstall the files....I cannot format them either they wont show up on the PC.....HELP?

#237112 - 06/29/08 10:41 PM Re: PC GERUS...Help needed Hard Drive problem...
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Donny, below is the link for the compatible hard drives for the T1. Known to work with it.

There are a LOT of 2.5 drives that do NOT work with the T1.

FWIW when I had my T1, it had the USB port freeze problem, which was fixed under warranty, BUT the hdd interface didn't work at all, even with a recommended drive. The info from Yamaha Australia was that it was NOT related to the USB problem but I have my doubts.. In any case I could never get a drive to work, even the recommended ones.

Sorry to say this but you will just have to experiment with other drives until you find one that works.

This is a KNOWN issue with the T1, which was apparently fixed on the T2
http://www.yamahapkclub.com/tyros/info/hd.htm

Dennis

PS When I was researching HDD's for my T1, lots of people said that ALL of the ones on the list were proven to work, so it was probably just an issue with my particular T1.

[This message has been edited by miden (edited 06-29-2008).]

#237113 - 06/29/08 11:26 PM Re: PC GERUS...Help needed Hard Drive problem...
miden Offline

Loc: The World
And just so you know, I have a special tool that allows me to run any sort of hard drive (3.5", 2.5", SATA, whatever) external of the PC, to format it, or transfer data, or troubleshoot, and I formatted and re-formatted the 2.5 hdd I had (off the list) as FAT, FAT 32 and I even tried ntfs as a long shot...but nothing worked.

As I said I think the interface was stuffed on mine, so you might have better luck.

#237114 - 06/30/08 05:20 AM Re: PC GERUS...Help needed Hard Drive problem...
Dnj Offline

Using it in the Tyros is one thing ,,,but now since I DELETED ALL THE FILES ON THE HARD DRIVES they wont work even in my PC either nothing shows up USB?

#237115 - 06/30/08 05:56 AM Re: PC GERUS...Help needed Hard Drive problem...
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Donny,
Here is an excerpt from a help forum. I hope this helps.

Unplug ALL USB devices.
Open Device Manager.
View, Show Hidden Devices.
Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.

Taken from: http://www.techsupportforum.com/hardware...d-under-xp.html

#237116 - 06/30/08 06:00 AM Re: PC GERUS...Help needed Hard Drive problem...
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
I don't know if this would help but if the drive has the master/slave jumpers I would try changing them.
Do other usb devices still work?

#237117 - 06/30/08 06:02 AM Re: PC GERUS...Help needed Hard Drive problem...
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
How did you DELETE the files on the hard drive? There seem to be many disk wiper programs out there, so I'm assuming they do something other than just eliminate files. It's possible you deleted a folder or file needed to recognize the drive. I'll keep looking.

#237118 - 06/30/08 09:06 AM Re: PC GERUS...Help needed Hard Drive problem...
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
I vaguely recall from long ago days when I was more involved in such things that there is a regular format and there is a low level format.
On a new empty drive the low level format only had to be done once and was usually done by the Manufacturer before it is shipped to the distributor/user.
After it has been low level formatted then from that time on it only needs to be regulerly formatted, if it needs to be formatted at all because regular format does not remove the low level format.
I don't know if this is still the case but if it is then you need to do a low level format and I have forgot how to do that.
Email the manufacturer and ask them.
Hope this helps,
Bebop

#237119 - 06/30/08 12:03 PM Re: PC GERUS...Help needed Hard Drive problem...
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi DNJ
Is the USB drive recognised as connected but you can’t see it in My Computer, or is it not recognised by Windows at all.
If the second then try changing the lead, and using other USB ports, if this still fails then there is probably a fault with the USB interface in the drive.
If it is the first one, then you have probably deleted the Partition and will need to go into Disk manager to create a new one. (Control Panel, Administrative tools, Computer Management then Disk Management)
BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU DO IN HERE and only highlight the drive that is shown as not partitioned, you can then right click and choose create.
Hope this helps

Bill

#237120 - 06/30/08 12:06 PM Re: PC GERUS...Help needed Hard Drive problem...
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by mikeathome1:
I don't know if this would help but if the drive has the master/slave jumpers I would try changing them.
Do other usb devices still work?

Yes all other devices thumb drives etc work fine...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online