SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#237121 - 06/30/08 12:07 PM Re: PC GERUS...Help needed Hard Drive problem...
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:
How did you DELETE the files on the hard drive? There seem to be many disk wiper programs out there, so I'm assuming they do something other than just eliminate files. It's possible you deleted a folder or file needed to recognize the drive. I'll keep looking.

select ALL files>Delete

#237122 - 06/30/08 01:40 PM Re: PC GERUS...Help needed Hard Drive problem...
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Donny are these proper external hard drives or are they hard drives inserted into a "CADDY" ?

If they are proper USB external drives, and you are trying to connect via the USB port on the Tyros, then perhaps your T1 DOES have the dead USB port problem. It is a chip on the USB PCB within the T1 that is the problem.

Yamaha are STILL fixing this under warranty as it is a manufacturing problem.

The T1 I had repaired was earlier this year. AND I bought it secondhand, although the original owner was not a computer person so never plugged anything into the USB port and therefore did not know.

Contact Yamaha USA and you will find that what I am saying is correct.

As to the disk now not working on the PC...simply deleting files from the hdd will NOT stop it working.

There must be something else that has happened.

Dennis

#237123 - 06/30/08 02:01 PM Re: PC GERUS...Help needed Hard Drive problem...
jwyvern Offline

That's one of the missing parts to the jigsaw Dennis, we haven't been able to confirm whether Donny was trying to connect to the Tyros USB or (as more likely?) was fitting the HD into the Tyros bay. If the latter it still didn't work regardless but that could have been a format issue- NTFS tends to confuse Tyros's.

But again - after the exercise the HD was unrecognised by the PC- which people seem to agree could not have been as a result of simply deleting files from it.
And all this happened to TWO external units not just one- more than coincidence?.

So how did Donny reassemble the units before retrying in the PC? Is there something wrong there?

Or were there "reformat cock-ups" within Tyros as a result of it getting confused which has rendered the disks unreadable?
This has happened to me once in a minor way on Ty2 with USB sticks originally formatted to NTFS and then reformatted directly on Ty2.

Just thinking aloud in case it rings any bells with some one with more knowledge on the subject.

John

#237124 - 06/30/08 02:03 PM Re: PC GERUS...Help needed Hard Drive problem...
miden Offline

Perhaps another thing you could try, would be to run fdisk and delete all partitions on the hdd (its probably only got the one), and then re-create a new partition and format.

From what you have said, the issue is now getting your PC to see the hdd and if this is indeed the case and the partition table has been corrupted, you will need some other tools apart from a PC.

BTW what size is the hdd...2.5" or 3.5"?

For this purpose I will assume its a 2.5"..
Do you know someone with an old laptop that you can remove the hdd from and instal yours?

If so, you can then run a windows 98 boot disk (fdisk is not part of the tools that get loaded with XP and above), and then run the fdisk utility on your disk.

If fdisk doesn't see the disk then it is probably going on a one-way trip to the bin.

If you can in fact get your PC to see the hdd, then you can run fdisk from the PC on it, and then do a full format.

I say fdisk, as it is free. Most 3rd party disk partitiong tools will cost you, and it might not even be a partition problem.

It can still be recovered by far more complex tools than this procedure, but the cost would outway the purchase of a new hdd.

Dennis

#237125 - 06/30/08 02:06 PM Re: PC GERUS...Help needed Hard Drive problem...
miden Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by jwyvern:
That's one of the missing parts to the jigsaw Dennis, we haven't been able to confirm whether Donny was trying to connect to the Tyros USB or (as more likely?) was fitting the HD into the Tyros bay. If the latter it still didn't work regardless but that could have been a format issue- NTFS tends to confuse Tyros's.

But again - after the exercise the HD was unrecognised by the PC- which people seem to agree could not have been as a result of simply deleting files from it.
And all this happened to TWO external units not just one- more than coincidence?.

So how did Donny reassemble the units before retrying in the PC? Is there something wrong there?

Or were there "reformat cock-ups" within Tyros as a result of it getting confused which has rendered the disks unreadable?
This has happened to me once in a minor way on Ty2 with USB sticks originally formatted to NTFS and then reformatted directly on Ty2.

Just thinking aloud in case it rings any bells with some one with more knowledge on the subject.

John

Yes John, it would be good to know EXACTLY the steps Donny has taken, even including all the keystrokes he used in deleting the disk.

I agree, that the same thing happening on 2 disks does point to a non-coincidence.

Dennis

#237126 - 06/30/08 03:35 PM Re: PC GERUS...Help needed Hard Drive problem...
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:

select ALL files>Delete

I believe Donny did exactly as he said. It's the easiest possibility and a very probable one. I've done it myself with pretty much the same results. Heck if I can remember what my son did to get it back up and running, but it is possible to fix it. I'm thinking a CAB or DRIVER folder was lost and now the PC can't identify the drive.

#237127 - 06/30/08 04:18 PM Re: PC GERUS...Help needed Hard Drive problem...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
You apparently deleted the HD's driver file. If you kept the CD that came with the HD it contains the driver file that must be installed in order to recognize and formate the HD in the USB container. If not, you'll have to download the driver and installation disk from the manufacturer.

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#237128 - 06/30/08 04:27 PM Re: PC GERUS...Help needed Hard Drive problem...
kla4 Offline

Loc: NL
Question : Does the drive still 'start' spinning? .... after connecting the USB lead.

Or do you use an extra power-supply?

Is it possible you touched the on/off switch on the back of the drive? (to OFF)

First thing to do is get them alive again connected to your PC. (Most drives are sold including a 'driver/tools CD)

Check the USB ports on the PC using an USB stick.... if they still work, the port is fine.

#237129 - 06/30/08 04:53 PM Re: PC GERUS...Help needed Hard Drive problem...
miden Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
You apparently deleted the HD's driver file. If you kept the CD that came with the HD it contains the driver file that must be installed in order to recognize and formate the HD in the USB container. If not, you'll have to download the driver and installation disk from the manufacturer.

Gary

Gary, it's not required for XP, but if he is running 98 or ME then yes he will need to install th USB driver.

Dennis

#237130 - 06/30/08 07:39 PM Re: PC GERUS...Help needed Hard Drive problem...
Dnj Offline

Thanx boyz.... I have XP

Im taking it in tomorrow to the shop for a fix

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online