SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#236823 - 06/27/08 05:53 AM Re: To Bose or Not to Bose
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
Show business sometimes two looks better and creates a more impressive image than one.

#236824 - 06/27/08 06:12 AM Re: To Bose or Not to Bose
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
There will be people who are made very happy by the Bose PA, and I wouldn't laugh at them even though it is resoundingly not my sort of sound system.

In my type of work, which is restaurant music, I don't want my system to fill the room...only a portion...people who want to listen will sit closer, those who prefer more quiet and less music for their dining experience will sit further away.

Also it is not stereo...and I want stereo.

Unless I change the type of venue I work in, and unless they make a stereo system, the Bose will never be a consideration for me.

Ian

#236825 - 06/27/08 06:18 PM Re: To Bose or Not to Bose
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
I checked at the local GC today and they will match the Bose 45 day trial period. They want $2400.00 for the L1 Mod2 with one amp. Does that sound about right to everyone?

Hammer

#236826 - 06/27/08 08:28 PM Re: To Bose or Not to Bose
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Hammer,
I presume you meant 1 sub, not amp. The Power Stand (PS1) actually has three amps in it, one for each of the L1s and a third for the sub.

$2400 sounds about right for new, in the box. I haven't seen new ones discounted anywhere.

I have the Model I and used it on a job tonight at a fancy country club. It was a very odd shaped room..almost too hard to describe. The Bose covered it like a glove. I don't know how a conventional system could even come close in this situation.

Eddie

Eddie

[This message has been edited by btweengigs (edited 06-27-2008).]

#236827 - 06/27/08 09:08 PM Re: To Bose or Not to Bose
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
There seem to be two distinct types of rooms, one of which the Bose is excellent for, one of which isn't.

As Ian pointed out (and I have mentioned in the past), there are many rooms where they WANT you at dance levels close to the band, and they want as quick a drop-off in volume past that point as is possible. The Bose would work against you under those circumstances.

Then there are rooms where they want an even volume (usually fairly low in comparison!) all over the room. Bose is excellent under those circumstances.

The sound balance of those types of rooms is normally exactly what the Bose delivers... Not a LOT of bass and punch, crisp, clear, sort of a home stereo on steroids. Not what you would call a club level.

So, depending on the room, the Bose works for you, or against you. I would imagine that those who are the most fervent admirers of the Bose work the latter, and those dissatisfied work the former. I'd also bet that the majority of L1 users that are happy with the system play to primarily over 30 (or 40 or 50!) year old crowds, and those that either need multiple B1's or another system altogether are playing to younger crowds.

Take a meter into any club where the 20-somethings hang out... Pretty scary! It costs a fortune to sub out a Bose system to be able to handle that SPL and low end impact!

Strokes for folks... Sorry, but the L1 system works best for those that have venues that play to it's strengths.

#236828 - 06/27/08 09:57 PM Re: To Bose or Not to Bose
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
Hammer let us all know how you get on with your Trial.
You're lucky in the fact that you get 45 days (in the U.S.) as elsewhere (AFAIK) there is nowhere near such a Trial period.

We had the system for barely a week - basically Wed to the next Monday.

The first few days were spent getting familiar with the system and setting it up - AND reading the Manual (I do recommend this) and then the gigs themselves at a variety of venues and audiences.

Arrive early and give yourself enough time to sound check - as you should on most gigs of course - and I would recommend walking round the back of the room/venue to hear how the sound "spreads" and see if you like what you hear.

Those first few days of getting to grips with the system are very important. You'll find yourself asking audiences about the sound (like we did) at different venues - it'll happen, trust me. Don't be afraid to put the Bose anywhere you like - optimal is as stated, behind you at least 7-8 feet, but many of the venues we play simply don't allow for this - it hasn't been an issue though, as for some reason you can hear everything clearly, even vocals (especially vocals) when your behind the system itself.

Good luck.

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#236829 - 06/28/08 07:40 AM Re: To Bose or Not to Bose
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Hammer,

List price was $1.995 plus sales tax the last time I checked. With tax my cost directly from Bose was $2,250. $2,400 is a bit on the high side unless that includes sales tax in your area. Most GCs will match any advertised price, so you may want to check this out.

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online