SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#236813 - 06/26/08 07:10 AM Re: To Bose or Not to Bose
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
Hammer, below is a link to the Bose Forum (topic being a "Model 1 / Model 2 differences?" kind of discussion.
http://bose.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/867107664/m/8041000005

(Hope the cut n paste link works).

Specs wise...

Model 1:

Weight

* L1™ Model I power stand: 35 lb (16 kg)
* L1™ Model I Cylindrical Radiator® loudspeaker
o Top Section: 14.5 lb (6 kg)
o Bottom Section: 16.0 lb (7 kg)
* R1 remote control: 0.6 lb (0.27 kg)
* B1 bass module (optional): 28 lb (13 kg)

Dimensions

* L1 Model I power stand: 26.0’’W x 26.0’’D x 5.0’’H (66 cm x 66 cm x 12.7 cm)
* L1™ Model I Cylindrical Radiator® loudspeaker (each section):
o Top Section: 43 1/8’’H x 3.5’’W x 4.0’’D (109.54 cm x 8.89 cm x 10.1 cm)
o Bottom Section: 43 1/2’’H x 3.5’’W x 4.0’’D (110.49 cm x 8.89 cm x 10.1 cm x )
* R1 remote control: 2.8’’W x 5.6’’D x 1.6’’H (4.0 cm x 7.1 cm x 14.1 cm)
* B1 bass module: 15.3’’H x 10.3’’W x 18.0’’D (38.0 cm x 25.0 cm x 45.7 cm)

Model 2:

Weight

* L1™ Model II power stand: 23.7 lb (10.7 kg)
* L1™ Model II Cylindrical Radiator® loudspeaker
o Top Section: 16.3 lb (7.4 kg)
o Bottom Section: 17.4 lb (7.9 kg)
* B1 bass module: 25.1 lb (11.4 kg)

Dimensions

* L1™ Model II power stand: 5’’H x 10’’W x 27’’D (12.8 cm x 26.2 cm x 69.2 cm)
* L1™ Model II Cylindrical Radiator® loudspeaker
o Top Section: 43 ¼ ’’H x 3½’’W x 4’’D (109.86 cm x 8.89 cm x 10.16 cm)
o Bottom Section: 43 3/4’’H x 3½’’W x 4’’D (111.13 cm x 8.89 cm x 10.16 cm)
* B1 bass module: 15’’H x 10¼’’W x 17¾’’D (38.0 cm x 26.0 cm x 45.0 cm)

(A bit of "specs overkill" regarding Weight/Height...... sorry, but you get the idea)

Hope that helps you in some way.

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#236814 - 06/26/08 07:19 AM Re: To Bose or Not to Bose
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
A half-dozen KJs and at least one DJ in my part of the world switched to the L1 during the past two years and every one of them said they would never go back to a conventional sound system. And, they're all using a single L1 with a single sub cabinet.

One of the KJs came to a place where I was playig a happy hour last week just to hear the system. When I finished playing he quizzed me about settng up the volumes, which must be done exactly as the manual states or you will not be happy with the sound. After showing him how this was done he admitted that he didn't read the manual--just plugged everything in and turned up the volumes. He said he was happy with the sound, but had some distortion at higher levels. He called a few days later to thank me for showing him how to set the system up and that everything sounds fantastic now.

Diki, I don't hear a hole and lower mid-range sounds, but I'm old and my hearing is shot to hell. And, when playing and singing I would think it would be nearly impossible for the performer to hear any deficit in sound if it did exist. As it has been stated many times, there is no "One Size Fits All" sound system--it does not exist. However, for me, the L1 is about as close as it gets.

Good luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#236815 - 06/26/08 07:21 AM Re: To Bose or Not to Bose
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Steve let us know how you like it.....
I tried it & sold it just wasn't the sound I was looking for....but many enjoy it.
The sound is very subjective. I have also seen DJ's using Two poles and 4 bass modules stacked.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 06-26-2008).]

Donny, I'm very tempted but I'm also waiting to hear some feedback on the new Coda R. Hopefully you and Fran will demo it soon
http://www.acousticimg.com/products/prod_coda.html

#236816 - 06/26/08 08:18 AM Re: To Bose or Not to Bose
Dnj Offline

Steve,

mon/tues or wed we will be testing one out here in Philly! We'll let you know pro/con

#236817 - 06/26/08 10:12 AM Re: To Bose or Not to Bose
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
Re: the photo with the two L1's and 4 B1's: I can't imagine using that kind of arrangement in an enclosed area. I'm surprised that there is glass in those widows. I regularly use the L1 and one B1 for most indoor venues and find the arrangement suitable for even larger indoor venues. Two B1's for Large outdoor venues -for some of the Italian festivals I do, the areas are about football field size and two B1's very adequatly fill the space.
As well, 'all things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia' 'er I mean the Phildelphia 'burbs ... (with a Bose... a PA800 ... and a Giulietti midi and a ....
Ciao,
Jerry

#236818 - 06/26/08 11:40 AM Re: To Bose or Not to Bose
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Gary, I'm sure it works for you and all those others very well. It's just curious, if as you say, the L1 is so perfect OOTB, why people DO add in multiple (and VERY expensive) B1 subs. Are they ALL idiots, or could there possible be a reason for it?

Thing is, for me, as a fifty-something, there are many places I won't listen to music because it is too loud FOR ME, but apparently not too loud for the customers and the management . And I often play these joints, at volume levels that I wouldn't go to myself out of choice, But they are PACKED, and really DO want the volume levels where they are. We often get told to turn up from where I think is a comfortable level, so having a PA that stays full, round and punchy at these high levels is a must.

So I have to have a PA that kicks major booty when needed. If I were in mid-level or lower joints all the time, maybe it could work for me (but I still have issues with the stereo), but if you've got a roomful of screaming kids, and they want close to concert levels, well, just from seeing others' L1 rigs, and all the subs they get, it strikes me that this is what you REALLY need to get up to that level. And it ain't cheap....

Just remember... it ain't ME buying those extra subs, and multiple sticks! These are actual L1 owners, at least tacitly acknowledging what it takes to get a good sound from the Bose systems (if by good you mean LOUD, full, and punchy!)

What do they know, that we don't?

#236819 - 06/26/08 12:10 PM Re: To Bose or Not to Bose
Dnj Offline

#236820 - 06/26/08 07:32 PM Re: To Bose or Not to Bose
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
"What do they know, that we don't?"

The flip side of the coin is what to we know that they don't? If I crank the L1 with a single sub gain past 25 percent it's almost enough to blow your eardrums out. As posted above, two L1s and four subs--there shouldn't be any glass in those windows!

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#236821 - 06/27/08 05:36 AM Re: To Bose or Not to Bose
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I believe that One stick and one sub produce a perfectly balanced sound for most applications. In some music ( mostly more modern stuff ) the beass requirements are heavier. I've had 2 subs in the past and found the second one to be of little use for 90% of my work. If you do a lot of Hip Hop or otherwise bass-intense songs, you may want the extra ooomph.

The biggest problem in making the switch to a Bose system is adjusting your thinking. We've been programmed to beieve that a boomy, overdone bass with peircing, brittle highs are the norm. That's what many conventional systems have given us over the years. I, for one, am grateful that there is now a better option for acurate sound reproduction that fills a room, and breaks down to a very portable, manageable unit.

It's not for everyone, but most of the musicians I know have some serious hearing losses. I don't.....nor will I have! I have always protected my hearing above all other things, and I intend to do so forever. The Bose system covers any room, (inside or out) that I have ever done, and it does it with a smooth, acurate sound that travels to the back tables without hurting the ears of the front tables !

I'm Sooooooo spoiled.

#236822 - 06/27/08 05:44 AM Re: To Bose or Not to Bose
Dnj Offline

Remember you'll have to make a choice also between STEREO or MONO One bose or two

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online