SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#236803 - 06/24/08 09:27 PM Re: To Bose or Not to Bose
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
I'd say go for the Model II with the T1 module. I received mine today and played a gig with it tonight. Worked like a charm. Still got some tweaking to do.

#236804 - 06/25/08 07:00 AM Re: To Bose or Not to Bose
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I say get the new model, but wait on the mixer. Use the Yamaha straight into the 1/4" input, and only spring for the extra money if you need what the mixer offers. I love the Tone match, but I play guitar, laptop and wireless mic thru it as well as my PA800. For me, the new setup is well worth the extra money in portablity. The footprint of the pedestal unit is so much more versitile. The sound is slightly better, but I would not have made the change if the pedestal unit was the same on both. All things considered ... I'm glad I'm in Philadelphia! ( with a BOSE! )

#236805 - 06/25/08 08:59 AM Re: To Bose or Not to Bose
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Dave ..don't get carried away..you are glad you live in a Phila. suburb...with a Bose ..

#236806 - 06/25/08 09:45 AM Re: To Bose or Not to Bose
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Dave,
What does the tonematch do?
Hammer

#236807 - 06/25/08 06:04 PM Re: To Bose or Not to Bose
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
The Tonematch is essentially the Mixing desk with separate FX (Compression/Modulation/Reverb/Delays etc etc) for each channel and in addition provides finer EQ control over each channel to the point where you can actually input what particular Mike or Guitar or (to an extent) Keyboard you are using to provide even more control, tonally, over your overall sound.

I just was over at the Bose forums recently, and they casually mentioned that the crossover point between the Subs (B1s) are slightly higher in the Model 2, which I believe might help with the "hole" that can be heard in the lower mids of the old system. Additionally, (regarding that) I have been stacking my B1s vertically as recommended by many on the forum, as it provides a fuller, rounder, and even more punchy(!) Bass sound - placement of the B1s can make a big difference depending on the room.

Hammer, you really should go over to the Bose forums (and the Bose Wiki) and do a search on...well ANYTHING you want to know, as I practically guarantee you - it's been covered.

Love or hate the Bose, there's no denying that the Bose Forums are absolutely INCREDIBLE when it comes to discussions, help, advice, Technical issues - geez just about ALL anyone would want to know about the system.

Go there now if you're still interested in the Bose - really.....right now - you will be amazed.

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#236808 - 06/25/08 07:52 PM Re: To Bose or Not to Bose
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Hammer,

There isn't a hill of beans difference between the two. I have a bad back, had two back surguries, and 32 pounds isn't enough weight to worry about. Granted, there are days when that 32-pound base unit feels like it doubled in weight, but most of the time it's nothing I can't handle, even at age 68.

Here's the deal. I use the Bose L1 for everything now. The Logitech Z-5500 hasn't been out of the house for nearly six months, and the way things are going it will likely stay in the house until I have problems with the Bose L1, which isn't likely. In the time I've owned the L1 it has been on more than 1,000 jobs, the base unit's case is a bit worn from sliding it out of the van and loading it on the Rock "N" Roller cart, but the sound is superior to every sound system I've used in nearly 50 years.

Go for the 45-day trial period and if you don't like what you hear, send it back. It's the best deal on the market that I know of.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#236809 - 06/26/08 01:57 AM Re: To Bose or Not to Bose
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by hellboy44:
The Tonematch is essentially the Mixing desk with separate FX (Compression/Modulation/Reverb/Delays etc etc) for each channel and in addition provides finer EQ control over each channel to the point where you can actually input what particular Mike or Guitar or (to an extent) Keyboard you are using to provide even more control, tonally, over your overall sound.

I just was over at the Bose forums recently, and they casually mentioned that the crossover point between the Subs (B1s) are slightly higher in the Model 2, which I believe might help with the "hole" that can be heard in the lower mids of the old system. Additionally, (regarding that) I have been stacking my B1s vertically as recommended by many on the forum, as it provides a fuller, rounder, and even more punchy(!) Bass sound - placement of the B1s can make a big difference depending on the room.

Hammer, you really should go over to the Bose forums (and the Bose Wiki) and do a search on...well ANYTHING you want to know, as I practically guarantee you - it's been covered.

Love or hate the Bose, there's no denying that the Bose Forums are absolutely INCREDIBLE when it comes to discussions, help, advice, Technical issues - geez just about ALL anyone would want to know about the system.

Go there now if you're still interested in the Bose - really.....right now - you will be amazed.

Multiple B1's. Hmmmm....

So you are implying that the basic '1 stick, 1 sub' at $2500 is not enough for the gig. How much extra is each sub? Not to mention an actual USER admitting the 'hole in the low-mids' thingy that all the rest of us have been saying for a while...

Don't get me wrong, I STILL believe the Bose's, at the right task and in the right room, is a very good system. But it's nice to see a user finally even 'fess up to a couple of the things we've been talking about in the past. A lack of strong bass (I didn't want to say 'weak' 'cause that would get a knee-jerk reaction ) and a presence hole in the mid low-end is pretty much how I heard the basic system (haven't heard L2, but I AM familiar with L1) in action. Great coverage, but hyped, rather than 'flat' was my impression. YMMV

#236810 - 06/26/08 03:40 AM Re: To Bose or Not to Bose
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
If money is no object, I guess go for the works, although needing inputs for just a kb and mic is an overkill. I have used my model 1 for several years. My Z5500 also stays home. I added the Tonematch because I sometimes need 6 inputs. It adds effects like compression and reverb, but a model 1 and a single B1 alone,is all you really need for a great sound experience.

#236811 - 06/26/08 05:11 AM Re: To Bose or Not to Bose
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
Hammer,

There isn't a hill of beans difference between the two. I have a bad back, had two back surguries, and 32 pounds isn't enough weight to worry about. Granted, there are days when that 32-pound base unit feels like it doubled in weight, but most of the time it's nothing I can't handle, even at age 68.

Here's the deal. I use the Bose L1 for everything now. The Logitech Z-5500 hasn't been out of the house for nearly six months, and the way things are going it will likely stay in the house until I have problems with the Bose L1, which isn't likely. In the time I've owned the L1 it has been on more than 1,000 jobs, the base unit's case is a bit worn from sliding it out of the van and loading it on the Rock "N" Roller cart, but the sound is superior to every sound system I've used in nearly 50 years.

Go for the 45-day trial period and if you don't like what you hear, send it back. It's the best deal on the market that I know of.

Good Luck,

Gary

Gary I know better and I know you are not on the payroll at Bose. You are very convincing.....been toying with the idea of a Bose for quite some time and with a 45 day trial what's not to like!!

#236812 - 06/26/08 05:26 AM Re: To Bose or Not to Bose
Dnj Offline

Steve let us know how you like it.....
I tried it & sold it just wasn't the sound I was looking for....but many enjoy it.
The sound is very subjective. I have also seen DJ's using Two poles and 4 bass modules stacked.

http://www.soundwavesmm.com/eventpics.htm

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 06-26-2008).]

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online