SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#235545 - 06/07/08 05:25 PM Re: I tried the Korg pa-800 and...............
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Getting back to the first post from MC that many of the PA800 styles are the same as the past PA80 and other korg arrangers, I would like to add that although many styles are the same, using the RX voices throughout these styles makes the PA800 come alive which the PA80 could never come close to.
I would also like to mention that here in my store, where I sell both Yamaha and Korg, the number of things I can edit and change within the style track controls are way more on the Korg PA800 than on the Yamaha S900 or Tyros.
I really enjoy that Korg allows the player to switch the drum track played in any of the 4 variations to an additional 7 full variaitons of drum beats per variation 1 - 4. And I like that Korg allows you to change the Bass Drum and Snare drum within each of these variations. It's things like this that sets the Korg apart from many other arrangers.

------------------
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
www.kayesmusicscene.com
(Retired 2021)

#235546 - 06/07/08 07:06 PM Re: I tried the Korg pa-800 and...............
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Scott,
I haven't forgotten your offer for on-line lessons!
I am trying to get back to some good practicing when I have time now... then on to better things.

Scott, I thought it would be Yamaha too. But according to an executive in Japan that certainly should know...nope it's Korg.
LOTS of those go to Middle Eastern Countries, Europe etc. and that runs the count way up. US, Canada etc, are a small portion of overall arranger sales for all Mfg's.

Doesn't matter to me either.

Sometimes I just get a little tired of the 'XXX' is the best selling arrangers.
You have to look at it from a Global perspective.

George,
Yes if you want to have flexibilty in what you can do the Korg has it IMHO.
Yamaha seems like the more overall refined, what you get is great, just play it system. If you want the most 'In Your Face' sounds seems like Ketron has it? I don't have any Experience with Roland but I'm sure they have their strong points too.

Different strokes!

It's nice to have a choice in so many nice arranges today.

Lee

#235547 - 06/08/08 12:33 AM Re: I tried the Korg pa-800 and...............
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Lee
Try a Wersi as it does both at a cost less then 2 TOTL hardware arrangers, not forgetting less work to set up and carry around.
You then move on to the most exciting part, in that you can do things with Wersi that are just dreams for owners of hardware arrangers.
Oh and before I forget, the updates are free, and the upgrades are cheaper then changing a hardware board to another one. (The improvements are normally also far greater then changing a hardware board)
BTW the SD2 works great with the Wersi, as minimal setup is required. (You get all the sounds of the SD5 to add to your arsenal, for a ridiculously low price).
Always consider all options; just don’t expect 1 arranger to suit everyone; however what I can say is that when anyone has actually tried a Wersi live, they are normally amazed at its sounds and capabilities.
Regards

Bill

#235548 - 06/08/08 01:25 AM Re: I tried the Korg pa-800 and...............
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Please! Wersi updated (unless you count simple software ones, which are free for all other arrangers, too) are anything but free.

Here's a quote from the Wersimusic site...

"After the release of version 5.0 software, the need for faster processing became more important to the performance of the Instrument hardware. We are currently offering a hardware upgrade to greatly increase the performance and stability of the OAS software. This new hardware is compatible with all versions of software and will increase the capabilities and reliability of the OAS instruments. This upgrade comes complete with new mainboard, processor, RAM, and power supply to replace all older components. Instructions and technical support is also provided with this update. Please contact our Service Center for more information."

Sound free to you?

The thing about software driven synths and arrangers is, just like computers, you want to run the latest software, you got to have the latest hardware too. Trying to run todays software on yesterdays computer is an exercise in futility. Same thing when there is a keyboard housing it, IMO...

#235549 - 06/08/08 01:38 AM Re: I tried the Korg pa-800 and...............
Diki Offline

I quote the following from Wersi club International

"Sunday, 7 October 2007

Price List for Latest Upgrades

I offer the following translation of the latest price-list for the new items as referred to in the latest Wersi News. I do not guarantee the accuracy of this translation - it should be viewed only as a guide. We also do not know if these costs apply outside Germany.

3000200 Real Drums with Wave Player incl. Style software... 895.00 €
4003190 Open Art Arranger – new accompaniment software for OAS-Ver 7... 650.00 €
7010110 10 Inch TFT-TouchDisplay for KS1 / GS500, retrofit... 690.00 €
7010120 10 Inch TFT-TouchDisplay for GS700 / GS1000, retrofit... 990.00 €
7084205 Varnished Frames for 10" displays, for all models. Extra charge... 125.00 €
7010135 **New Rhythm Panel for OAA. Retrofit for KS1 / GS500... 290.00 €
7010145 **New Rhythm Panel for OAA. Retrofit for GS700 / GS1000... 390.00 €
7084210 **New Rhythm Panel varnished for KS1 / GS500 Special offer.Extra charge... 105.00 €
7084220 ** New Rhythm Panel varnished for GS700 / GS1000 Special offer.Extra charge... 125.00 €

**only possible with models having the software Flash installed

Complete PLUS full retrofit package
Abacus KS1 + Verona GS500
Complete PLUS upgrade for KS1 / GS500 for self-assembly incl. delivery... 1650.00 €
With varnish pre-spraying... 1880.00 €
Complete PLUS upgrade for KS1 / GS500 for assembly by Wersi technician... 1786.00 €
With varnish pre-spraying... 2016.00 €

Scala GS700 and Louvre GS1000
Complete PLUS upgrade for GS700 / GS1000 for Self-assembly incl.delivery... 2050.00 €
With varnish pre-spraying... 2300.00 €

Complete PLUS upgrade for GS700 / GS1000 for assembly by Wersi technician... 2186.00 €
With varnish pre-spraying... 2436.00 €

Service and Advice

9000305 Service charge for Upgrade on 10" displays with home Installation : duration according to model 1-2 hrs; price / hr... 68.00 €
All-inclusive delivery by postal dispatch (only for self-installation!)... 20.00 €
With no exchanged LCD/TFT 8” screen the cost becomes 400€ plus VAT... 476.00 €

9000050 Cost of delivery-I for instruments within 50 km of Wersi... 50.00 €

9000051 Cost of delivery-II for instruments within 200 km of Wersi... 100.00 €
9000052 Cost of delivery-III for instruments per an additional 150 to 200 km... 30.00 €

The complete package consists of:

OpenArtArranger, 10 inch display TFT with frame, new Rhythm panel as well as 1 sound package to the value of 125.00 € free of charge.

Real drums are not included within the complete package and, where they were not included in the original purchase of the instrument, must be ordered separately if required. Also the cost of varnish spraying has to be added if required!

The above information is subject to change without further notice."

Sound free to you?

#235550 - 06/08/08 02:58 AM Re: I tried the Korg pa-800 and...............
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Diki
Good job you had added the smiley face, as otherwise I would have thought that you were inferring that you had to purchase the screen and panel to stay up to date, which of course you don’t. (Nice to have the option though)

You are quite correct about computer hardware updates, however they can be picked up off the shelf for little money. (How much does Roland charge to update your internal G70 HARDWARE?)

Updates are Free (They are designated by an R) and are the equivalent of the Roland OS updates.

Upgrades Cost (Although when you see what’s offered it would still be cheap at twice the price) and is the equivalent of buying a new keyboard. (Designation OAS?)
The exception is the OAA, which is the equivalent of buying a brand new arranger section for your keyboard. (If you play live organ or use little backing you may not want it, so why pay for it, but again its nice to have it as an option)

Soundpacks are options, and are the software equivalent of the of the Roland SRX cards, with the main difference being that you can have as many as you want, all running at the same time, rather then having to keep swapping boards. (Don’t see Roland giving SRX boards away)

As I have said before the only way to find out about them is to try them (Which you also emphasize in many of your posts when something new comes out) and then make a decision (I can only give you my opinion, and opinions of others I have spoken too)
Regards

Bill

#235551 - 06/08/08 06:54 AM Re: I tried the Korg pa-800 and...............
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Bill,
Of course one has to keep up on the options.
I understand and appreciate what a Wersi has to offer.

If Wersi offered a KIT for 1/2 to 2/3 the cost AND supported the US like Germany... Then I would consider it. Why not have a kit for us Tech. capable folks? That's where they started.

IMHO, Wersi could care less about us in the US (and maybe some other places too like Canada). That's their decision, so be it.

If I ever find one used very cheap, I would try one in spite of the support issues.

By the way, I know the problem is NOT Chris Conti & gang....he is a very nice supportive.

Lee

#235552 - 06/08/08 09:46 AM Re: I tried the Korg pa-800 and...............
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Played a double last year in 117ΊF heat index. 1pm to 9 at night! BRUTAL...

LOTS of water, a good silent fan, shade (mandatory!), plenty of towels to wipe your hands on, and a nice dip in the pool between sets

Nothing worse than playing in wet shorts with jock itch

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#235553 - 06/08/08 10:50 AM Re: I tried the Korg pa-800 and...............
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:
Nothing worse than playing in wet shorts with jock itch

I hope this comment is not from experience.

#235554 - 06/08/08 11:43 AM Re: I tried the Korg pa-800 and...............
Diki Offline

Don't forget, if and when I upgrade to a newer Roland (or anything), I sell my current keyboard. For damn good money (I try to keep them as mint as possible, and with Roland's construction values, that's not difficult).

So the cost of 'upgrading' is the cost of a new arranger (minus the discount I negotiate for), and subtract the money I get for my old arranger, which I can sell with it's vast collection of heavily tweaked styles, SMFs, and highly tuned sound, which does NOT come on an OOTB arranger, and get back a fairly decent proportion of the original cost.

Sometimes I can even break even (like I did between G800 and G1000) by waiting a few months until one of the gadfly's unloads a new one they can't figure out, and get it for what I can sell my tweaked out old one. A free HARDWARE update! Not too shabby!

Look, don't get me wrong, there is MUCH to like in Wersi's. But they are anything but cheap, and keeping up with the software route is anything but free...

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online