SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#235081 - 05/30/08 06:07 AM Vocal Processors - PITCH Correction
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
I would like some education on pitch correction capabilities in vocal processors.
I am not such a good singer and I would like some input as to how to use pitch correction or vocoder to keep me on key.

What has been your experience?

I know it won't make me Andy Williams, but ow much will it help, which ones are best and any suggestions on how to best use them?

If it will really help me I would be willing to buy a high end unit like TC Helicon Voiceworks Plus.

Thanks,
Lee

#235082 - 05/30/08 06:20 AM Re: Vocal Processors - PITCH Correction
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA

#235083 - 05/30/08 07:05 AM Re: Vocal Processors - PITCH Correction
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I have not used pitch correction, and I have a question - Pitch correction only works 'after the fact', no? ... as when you are trying to correct the pitch of a note on a recording. I sometimes get the impression that some people might be looking for pitch correction in 'real time' and I don't understand how that would work.
thnx,
t.

#235084 - 05/30/08 07:32 AM Re: Vocal Processors - PITCH Correction
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Tony and Lee..pitch correction does work in real time..I would say the higher quality units will work better..

Vocoder mode is the easiest way to achieve what you are after..

It would depend how accurate you play the keys [on key]...and the timing of your voice to what you play[although it is easier to play to your own singing]..

You can also rely on lead tracks if you are using SMF's...This also depends on accurate timing of your vocals...

Unlike other folks comments ..I think it can improve your vocals...and also train you to sing on key...

Matter of fact a harmonizer can make a great singer terrible just as easily as a poor singer....Misuse of a harmonizer can kill a great vocalist too..

#235085 - 05/30/08 09:01 AM Re: Vocal Processors - PITCH Correction
chony Offline

Loc: New York
In my experience, if you can't sing on key, pitch correction will make it much worse - not better. Pitch correction is for someone who does sing bascially on key, but wants it to be perfect.

However, if you choose for each song the scale that you'll be singing in - ie you knock out 5 of the 12 notes in an octave - you may have more success.

The principle is that pitch correction corrects you to the closest note. If you are closer to the wrong note than the right one (it happens even for people who think they CAN sing on key), it will pitch correct you the wrong one.

Chony

#235086 - 05/30/08 09:23 AM Re: Vocal Processors - PITCH Correction
Dnj Online   content

Common people either you can sing or you can't there is no magic bullet! lets stop trying to sugar coat it....play & sing a song....record it.......let your friends listen to it & ask for an honest opinion from 3 or 4 different people. Then listen to it yourself & you'll decide if you should pursue singing as a possible addition to your music or should you get a singer to perform with you.

#235087 - 05/30/08 11:58 AM Re: Vocal Processors - PITCH Correction
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
For most automatic pitch correction (the kind you would use in real time) you have to set the key, the scale type and the amount of correction. It won't correct you from a Ab to a C but it might correct a half step. The problem is if your off more than that it may correct you to a G instead of a C. It corrects it to the nearest note in scale, which may not be the right one.
I just got my hands on a digitech live 4 www.digitech.com/products/Vocalist_Live4/ and it has pitch correction.
download the manual and read about pitch correction.

[This message has been edited by mikeathome1 (edited 05-30-2008).]

#235088 - 05/30/08 12:07 PM Re: Vocal Processors - PITCH Correction
leeboy Offline

Don, I don't play out so I won't be hiring a singer...I play for my own fun and for friends some.

Fran, I see what you are saying...my hope is that it may help me to learn to sing better. I'm not expecting miracles.

Chony, what kind of pitch correction equipment do you use, or have tested?

Come on guys I get close to the note most of the time... I realize if your off tons it will go to the wrong note.

There got to be many more of you out there that use/have used or have at least tried these things? Especially the high end ones!
They must work for some applications as it seems like they sell a lot of them.

Does anyone think it can help a singer to LEARN to sing better..more on key?

Thanks for the input....
Lee

#235089 - 05/30/08 12:32 PM Re: Vocal Processors - PITCH Correction
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
Many people find it disconcerting to hear their voice singing a different pitch than they're actually singing. I'm not talking about harmony, I'm talking about the exact note you are singing, only in tune. This is why people who use live autotune usually use it for the front house mix only, and have no autotune in their monitor. From what I've heard it is even harder to sing in tune if you aren't hearing what your voice is doing. If you are hearing the pitch corrected signal rather than the actual pitch your voice is producing, it is harder to tell what your voice is in fact doing.

#235090 - 05/30/08 12:43 PM Re: Vocal Processors - PITCH Correction
leeboy Offline

FAEbGBD,
Thanks for the input...I can see what you mean. It could be a little wierd.

However, If I could just sing something close and come out sounding as well as Any Williams, Johny Mathis etc.... I think I would like that! HaHaHa...:-)

I did play a little with pitch correction on the PA1XPRO I once had, but didn't really take it too seriously!
Lee

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online