SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#235048 - 05/28/08 04:27 PM Max usb pen drive size for PSR-S900?
svpworld Offline

Loc: UK
Anyone know what the max size of a usb memory stick that can be used with the psr-s900? I've tried 4GB and it seems ok, what about 8 or even 16GB?

Simon

------------------

forum.svpworld.com - No adverts, No spam, No nonsense!
share your music, get help and advice, make new friends! All platforms invited!!

#235049 - 05/28/08 05:34 PM Re: Max usb pen drive size for PSR-S900?
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
I have used up to a 4Gig - never tried anything larger with my 3K.

Hammer

#235050 - 05/29/08 10:39 AM Re: Max usb pen drive size for PSR-S900?
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
My psr3000 copes with a 20 gig hard disk in a USB case, so a big USB stick ought to be OK. Try before you buy if possible. I'd format the memory stick on the S900 rather than a PC.

Regarding "which stick" I wouldn't get a memory stick with built-in "extras" like security or compression because although these features work fine on a PC they can seriously confuse the keyboard. Personally I buy cheap generic sticks but others feel it's worth sticking to big names for better quality, although in my experience the big names have this habit of including "extras" as previously mentioned so I remain unconvinced!

After that the biggest issues with a large capacity drive are the time it will take to read the directory structure, and the limit on the maximum number of files / folders you can have in a single folder. On the 3k and Tyros I don't think you can have more than about 250 entries per folder, anyone know if this is still the case on the S900?

Hope this helps!

#235051 - 05/29/08 01:42 PM Re: Max usb pen drive size for PSR-S900?
Dnj Offline

Corsair drives are all I use.....
http://www.corsairmemory.com/products/voyager.aspx

#235052 - 05/29/08 03:01 PM Re: Max usb pen drive size for PSR-S900?
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
I have used all kinds of thumb drives with my PSR 3000 and have had no issues except for those with the security stuff on them. I always format them if needed on my PC and have never had a problem. It is still true that folders can contain only 250 entries. I also use a powered usb hub with a 20 gig hard drive and have never had a problem with access times. The only thing I have noticed is that a few of my thumb drives are rated as being "faster" than others and these do seem to provide a bit faster access times. But I don't think that has ever been a problem for me on gigs.

Hammer

#235053 - 06/01/08 12:26 PM Re: Max usb pen drive size for PSR-S900?
svpworld Offline

Loc: UK
Well I can confirm that a Kingston DataTraveler 8GB works fine on the S900, and at £20 it's a snip!

Regards
Simon

------------------

forum.svpworld.com - No adverts, No spam, No nonsense!
share your music, get help and advice, make new friends! All platforms invited!!

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online