SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#233615 - 05/02/08 08:46 PM Re: Arrangers...Karaoke......Same? Yes and No. Karaoke is popular
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
And yet, magically, you found the time to join in, Joe...

Surely the high road would have been to not post at all (because you were practicing?) if you are SO against it

#233616 - 05/04/08 10:17 AM Re: Arrangers...Karaoke......Same? Yes and No. Karaoke is popular
JIMSAX Offline

Loc: Baltimore MD USA
Amen Joe!!!!

#233617 - 05/04/08 11:07 AM Re: Arrangers...Karaoke......Same? Yes and No. Karaoke is popular
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Jim and Joe, I can see your point. I am not exactly overjoyed to have to re-hash the same (or slightly different spin on the same) all the time...

BUT... let's face it, if you are not keen on these kinds of threads, instead of just simply bitching about it, why don't you start your own, fascinating threads that will divert everyone's attention permanently away from this topic? You know, be a part of the solution, not part of the problem?

And then, when most of the members ignore them, and go back to this tired topic, just basically recognize that, no-one cares about your fascinating topics, useful tidbits, stuff that interests YOU (or me!), and either join in or hit "back' without comment. But complaining about stuff without offering an alternative strikes me as...

#233618 - 05/04/08 11:17 AM Re: Arrangers...Karaoke......Same? Yes and No. Karaoke is popular
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
One two cha cha cha.

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala

#233619 - 05/04/08 05:24 PM Re: Arrangers...Karaoke......Same? Yes and No. Karaoke is popular
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
But leave the vast majority of your show to a machine, while you play a minimalist part (if anything), and where, exactly, IS the difference between you and karaoke?

For one there is no TV screen with displayed lyrics. In fact here is no music video or CDG.

No members of the audience can select a song to sing.

The backing tracks are MINE..not recordings of the original arrangement

I guess its that people who feel they are "excellent players" have to separate themselves from the rest with semantics in order to support their elitism. In the end the money is the same and the everyday club audience doesn't care how many years one took lessons. The just want to hear Margaritaville and Sweet Caroline. Not Paganini. they don't care if one is playing or wandering the room.

Karaoke requires more than just a background track.

by definition: an act of singing along to a music video, esp. one from which the original vocals have been electronically eliminated.
-Random House dictionary

a device that plays instrumental accompaniments for a selection of songs to which the user sings along and that records the user's singing with the music; also : a form of entertainment involving the use of a karaoke machine

-Websters

By shear definition leaving the keyboard and singing cannot be described as Karaoke at all.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#233620 - 05/04/08 05:38 PM Re: Arrangers...Karaoke......Same? Yes and No. Karaoke is popular
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
You can put your boots in the oven, but that doesn't make them biscuits.

If you're singing over a background track...AND you're not playing your keyboard...it is Karaoke...in MY opinion...you can call it whatever YOU want.

You seem to want only one, and only one, response.

You should realize that people learn, and benefit, from many replies.

There are no elitists around here...just realists.

There's NOTHING wrong with singing over a backing track...but it is what it is.

Ian

#233621 - 05/04/08 05:45 PM Re: Arrangers...Karaoke......Same? Yes and No. Karaoke is popular
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Or you could just POST a posting where every occasional word is in CAPS so it seems like someone is SHOUTING those words into your face to make you think that what they SAY has got to be the TRUTH.

And by the way singing to backing tracks really is not the definition of karaoke. There are live bands around that offer karaoke services where people sing the songs they pick to live music played against a click to allow the lyrics display to sync with the music. Karaoke is simply unpaid singers singing. Paid professional singers singing to backing tracks really isn't the same thing.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 05-04-2008).]

#233622 - 05/04/08 05:58 PM Re: Arrangers...Karaoke......Same? Yes and No. Karaoke is popular
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
We could call it "Professional Karaoke"...since the singer is being paid.

Call it whatever you wish...perhaps "Karaoke" is the wrong term...but it is still singing over a backing track whilst not playing anything.

I do know that I wouldn't pay to see it.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 05-04-2008).]

#233623 - 05/04/08 06:43 PM Re: Arrangers...Karaoke......Same? Yes and No. Karaoke is popular
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
All this just makes me realise an ultimate truth.

There's no Black and White - just shades of Grey.

(or, if you're an optimist)

"all the colours of the Rainbow!!!!"

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#233624 - 05/04/08 07:09 PM Re: Arrangers...Karaoke......Same? Yes and No. Karaoke is popular
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
We could call it "Professional Karaoke"...since the singer is being paid.

And the singer's performance is different in what way ? Singing over a backing track versus singing over a live track ... isn't the only difference the musical backing ?

I think you will find that all professional singers have sung to backing tracks at some times during their career.

( I was tempted to type ALL in caps there but resisted the temptation lmao ).

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 05-04-2008).]

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online