SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#233699 - 05/05/08 04:52 AM Tyros Question: Effects on style
chony Offline

Loc: New York
I'm making a few custom styles right now. I programmed the drum beats on my computer (using Cubase), and have done all the instruments on board the T2, but for some reason DSP 1 (the style DSP) in the mixer is greyed out, and I can't select an effect for the style. Anyone know the solution?

Thanks, Chony

#233700 - 05/05/08 08:57 AM Re: Tyros Question: Effects on style
jwyvern Offline

Chony, when you're in Mixing Console Style Effect screen highlight DSP1 & push Type (F) then push Parameter (F again).
Now scroll down the box that appears (using the 5 Down button) till Connection is highlighted.
Change the Value from Insertion to System.

Hope it works for you

John

#233701 - 05/05/08 09:08 AM Re: Tyros Question: Effects on style
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Quote:
Originally posted by jwyvern:
Chony, when you're in Mixing Console Style Effect screen highlight DSP1 & push Type (F) then push Parameter (F again).
Now scroll down the box that appears (using the 5 Down button) till Connection is highlighted.
Change the Value from Insertion to System.

Hope it works for you

John

Thanks John, that did the trick. I wonder why it greyed out in the first place?

Perhaps you could answer this one too: For some reason when I apply effects on an instrument in a style it doesn't sound the same as when the Yamaha engineers did it on theirs. For example the Yamaha rock styles have some luscious sounding distortions on their guitars, but when I use the exact same distortions with the exact same parameters on mine, it still sounds like the original (uneffected) signal is coming through behind the effect. I tried playing with the settings but didn't get anywhere. Perhaps you'd know?

Thanks, Chony

#233702 - 05/05/08 10:10 AM Re: Tyros Question: Effects on style
jwyvern Offline

Chony, if you go back to the screen where you changed the connection, depending on the effect, there is usually in the extreme bottom right an "Effect Return Level". Try altering that, see if that helps.

John

#233703 - 05/05/08 11:04 AM Re: Tyros Question: Effects on style
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Distortion on guitar parts is also a function of how HARD you are hitting the distortion effect. Take a VERY careful look at average velocity levels, and overall dynamic range of the factory parts.

Sometimes it is best to hit a distortion with a pretty low level signal, and crank the distortion WAY up.

You know... 11, 11, 11, 11... Where can you go from there?

#233704 - 05/05/08 11:59 AM Re: Tyros Question: Effects on style
jwyvern Offline

The Yamaha Rock styles often use Mega guitars (with distortion) and the velocities used will be quite critical to trigger the various timbres (and not straightforward to edit) if that is the case.
John

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online