SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#232990 - 04/23/08 03:24 PM question for Rikki
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Hi Rikki,
I know you have used the EMC Styleworks program extensively, as well as the fact you are a wiz at creating styles, so I thought you would be the best person to ask....

When I convert a style in EMC (tyros to pa) the file is always about 500+kb in size, when the original is usually only about 40-60kb?

I have the save option to save as a single style only, not a set so I cannot figure out why the huge increase in size.

If you can shed any light on this, or maybe a couple of tips I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Dennis

#232991 - 04/23/08 07:08 PM Re: question for Rikki
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Dennis,
I'm running Styleworks Universal XT & Styleworks 2000 Universal.
As far as I'm aware , I can't SAVE an individual PA1X style, they're saved in
3 banks of 32 styles or I can save as a set.
Is your styleworks just for Korg?? Maybe the programs are slightly different, or else I've overlooked an option.

Are you sure you're just saving an individual style and not a complete bank?
ie the rest of the default styles that load automatically in EMC.
I checked the default bank of styles in my EMC & bank 1 is just over 400kb's.

Have you tried loading your converted style individually into your korg & are there no other styles showing up?

Quite frankly the 500kb's doesn't make any sense for an individual style.

If you're still stuck, send it to me, & I'll check it out on my korg.

rikkisbears@hotmail.com

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by miden:
Hi Rikki,
I know you have used the EMC Styleworks program extensively, as well as the fact you are a wiz at creating styles, so I thought you would be the best person to ask....

When I convert a style in EMC (tyros to pa) the file is always about 500+kb in size, when the original is usually only about 40-60kb?

I have the save option to save as a single style only, not a set so I cannot figure out why the huge increase in size.

If you can shed any light on this, or maybe a couple of tips I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Dennis

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#232992 - 04/23/08 08:01 PM Re: question for Rikki
miden Offline

Hey Rikki,
Thanks for the reply.
In the options pull down menu, it gives me the option to save data as a set (ticked) or not (unticked). They then get saved as just a *.sty file (still huge though!!!)

When I try the converted style, it works fine, and there is only one style available to load, it does take a bit of time though which is also unusual.

I will investigate further from your suggestion that it might actually be saving the default Korg Set data as well as the converted style file..

If I have no joy, I might have some more questions for you if thats okay.
Cheers
Dennis

#232993 - 04/23/08 08:23 PM Re: question for Rikki
miden Offline

Hi Rikki,

I now tried having the default setting (save as a set turned on) and when opened on the PA, all 3 user banks are there. Along with Global-Performance-Sound folders as well.

I think the thing to do is convert several before doing the transfer to the PA. Fill up the user banks that are getting saved to disk, rather than just one at a time.

It was just a bit confusing.

Thanks for your help.
Cheers
Dennis

#232994 - 04/23/08 11:24 PM Re: question for Rikki
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Dennis,
not sure how your pa1x?? loads styles.
With the PA800 I have the option of loading an individual style from a bank into either Favourites or a user slot. So normally, I convert the style & save, even if it means saving all the banks for just 1 style. I've had EMC crash & lock up , so I'd hate to lose a complete set of converted styles..

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by miden:
[B]Hi Rikki,

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#232995 - 04/23/08 11:52 PM Re: question for Rikki
miden Offline

Rikki,
Same with the PA, you can load individual styles from a set.. I hear what you are saying about EMC..good advice!

I will follow that, and if I have to save full user sets for one style, so be it.

Thanks again for taking the time to help out, I appreciate it.

Cheers,
Dennis

#232996 - 04/24/08 04:46 PM Re: question for Rikki
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Dennis,
you didn't mention which version you're using. The latest XT versions also include a certain amount of editing
ie Note Event list edit , it allows you to alter & delete track data, but you can't add any additional data, & they've also included the ability to save & load individual style tracks.
The software still has some bugs & won't load & convert PA800 styles ( even though it's supposed to)

I find the event list edit & the ability to import & export tracks quite handy , though not neccesary, as the Korg has great editing functions onboard anyway.

best wishes
Rikki

[B]Rikki,

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#232997 - 04/24/08 06:36 PM Re: question for Rikki
miden Offline

The older version!!

I tend to be a bit of a minimalist when it comes to styles Rikki, so I don't really need a lot of editing.

Personally I hate using "generic" onboard styles to try and cover several songs. To me, even though the song changes, it still SOUNDS the same.

I'd rather have styles that TOTALLY represent the original song (well as much as humanly possible). It's one of the reasons I use so many midis with jump points. Very accurate representations of songs.

With the styles I want to try to only include enough to distinguish the song if it has particular hooks (you know, bass lines certain drum patterns etc etc), or otherwise pretty much just bass/drums and maybe one guitar track..the rest I try to play myself.

I have been mucking around with some of the available Yamaha styles that have been setup to play specific songs, (Gary Diamonds are about the best I have heard!!) and because of these I am starting to warm more to playing shows using styles instead.

Hence the questions about EMC as I want to try and convert these to the Korg.

And if that's not enough, I am then going to work on getting the Motif ES rack setup to be used as the sound source for all the Korg styles...That will be a huge job!! BUt with the sound of the Yammi it shoud be awesome and therefore worth it!!

Cheers
Dennis

*****LEST WE FORGET*****

#232998 - 04/25/08 10:13 PM Re: question for Rikki
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Dennis,
be interested to hear how well the conversions go.
I find EMC sometimes messes them up too much, so then I use OMB & do them via midi to style import function on the pa800.
Unfortunately a lot more work though .

best wishes
Rikki

[B]

I have been mucking around with some of the available Yamaha styles that have been setup to play specific songs, (Gary Diamonds are about the best I have heard!!) and because of these I am starting to warm more to playing shows using styles instead.

Hence the questions about EMC as I want to try and convert these to the Korg.

And if that's not enough, I am then going to work on getting the Motif ES rack setup to be used as the sound source for all the Korg styles...That will be a huge job!! BUt with the sound of the Yammi it shoud be awesome and therefore worth it!!

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online