SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#232537 - 04/23/08 11:44 AM Re: Does Yammy have a problem 76 keys?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
But you can't make the argument for a lightweight AND easily transported rig, AND insist that you use an 88 AND a featherweight 61...

And, let's face it, if you WERE a 'real' pro, at least in Ian's definition, you wouldn't be playing an arranger at all! You'd be playing a big old stage piano/WS in a live band...

You know, Ian... I am tired of all this 'arranger-bashing'. Are you saying that arranger players are not 'pro'. That you have to play an 88 or a multi keyboard rig to be considered one? That you have to be on TV in a live band?

No, OF COURSE you are not...

I just thought I'd get in on the idée fixe of the week...

Mind you, I might bring up the fact that just about every 'pro' in my area, if they are NOT playing an 88 stage piano (no arranger 88's in my area) are playing a 76, whether WS or arranger...

Weird, isn't it?

#232538 - 04/23/08 12:44 PM Re: Does Yammy have a problem 76 keys?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Yes, a light weight and easily transportable rig...that would be a 25 lb P85 piano(or equivalent), and a 61 note 25 lb S900...I'd set them up in an "L" configuration....piano on the right.

If I was in a band, I'd still want two keyboards...but I'd set up differently...one above the other...and I'd replace the arranger with a B3 clone(XK-1 probably)...then I could use the second keyboard as another organ manual if I wanted.

That's pretty light..and the extra stand would be negligible...using lightweight cases both would easily fit in my Honda Accord.

BUT, since most of my playing involves ONLY arranger,(in arranger mode...auto accompaniment) the 61 notes are just perfect for my needs.

Ian

#232539 - 04/23/08 01:18 PM Re: Does Yammy have a problem 76 keys?
Diki Offline

But also, 100% arranger mode ALL the time is about the only time when a 61 IS sufficient for a gig...

How many of us play ONLY in that mode? Not many, by the number of requests for MP3 players, dual sequencers, etc. that get tacked onto your 'pure' arranger.

Live band? You'd take TWO keyboards. SMFs or MP3 (if you used them)? You'd take TWO keyboards...

A LOT of us want just one. And there is ONLY one choice if you do do more than just play in arranger mode. A 76.

The numbers in the poll showed just HOW different many, if not most, of the members here feel about this issue from you, Ian...

But, of course, you are right and we are all wrong, aren't we? We must be idiots for wanting a smaller, lighter, more easily transportable rig than an 88 AND a 61. And the larger stands, more wiring, and MIDI issues between the two (wouldn't you like to trigger the arranger in pianostyle mode from the 88?), a mixer, blah blah blah..!

Oh, hold on a minute... you are the one touting the PSR BECAUSE it is smaller, lighter, and more transportable...!

Once again, you want it BOTH WAYS....

ANYTHING to avoid that recognition of how useful a 76 could be, huh? Doesn't all this spin make you dizzy?

#232540 - 04/23/08 01:45 PM Re: Does Yammy have a problem 76 keys?
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
And there is ONLY one choice if you do do more than just play in arranger mode. A 76.

But...I only play my S900 in arranger mode.

It means nothing to me what others use...that's them, not me..I don't have to please anyone else but me.

You need a 76 note arranger...I don't.

You lug around a big heavy keyboard...I don't.

You make money playing...so do I.

Different approaches...but the same result.

Simple, eh?

Gee...I sure miss playing.

Ian

#232541 - 04/23/08 02:12 PM Re: Does Yammy have a problem 76 keys?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Well you two... let me squeeze a few words in here. I have the E-60 arranger which I use for styles and SMF's. Stacked above it is my XK-1. The organ sounds on the E are also good enough to use and work effectively with the XK-1 for double manual stuff without having to midi up.

Just boasting ...

#232542 - 04/23/08 02:20 PM Re: Does Yammy have a problem 76 keys?
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:
Well you two... let me squeeze a few words in here. I have the E-60 arranger which I use for styles and SMF's. Stacked above it is my XK-1. The organ sounds on the E are also good enough to use and work effectively with the XK-1 for double manual stuff without having to midi up.

Just boasting ...

Yep, that's a cool set up...show off!!

That XK-1 must be a real joy to play...I envy you...it's got the B-3 nailed.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 04-23-2008).]

#232543 - 04/23/08 03:43 PM Re: Does Yammy have a problem 76 keys?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Thanks Ian,

The only problem right now is... I think the trio is pretty much dead. We have no work and the future doesn't look good for us either. I must decide if I want to look for another group, go solo or hang it up. Building new clientele is not something I look forward to.

#232544 - 04/23/08 05:31 PM Re: Does Yammy have a problem 76 keys?
Dnj Offline

Cass....Hang it up? What? go SOLO my man & dont look back there's a whole wide open world for ya to perform at....if you need suggestions talk to me, Gary, Zuki, Beakybird, Fran, Dave, Don M, Eddie, Scott Yee, Bill C & many more OMB acts...we'll get ya going! But quit is never a good option in my book.

#232545 - 04/23/08 11:06 PM Re: Does Yammy have a problem 76 keys?
Diki Offline

Yeah... and the hell with playing music with other people, anyway. What did other musicians ever do for YOU, anyway?

Other than teach you how to play, how to interact with others musically, and show you stuff you would have NEVER thought of yourself... But hey, f*ck 'em. You've got an arranger...!

#232546 - 04/24/08 06:12 AM Re: Does Yammy have a problem 76 keys?
Dnj Offline

Yes Diki SOLO work baby .....is what many people here love to do why knock it?....& most have performed 20 years or more with other people, bands, and what have you & come from good musical stock. Yes yes YES thank goodness for arrangers, & just because very good players CAN play arrangers as a OMB act is a blessing versus all the BS that goes on with bands in today's day & age. Sure there's a place for bands .......but now we have choice something we didn't have years ago before computers in music. Personally I wouldn't want to ever go back to playing with others after doing & managing, & directing it for 25 years. OMB is my thing now & has been very successful for the last 17 years & I look forward to making my act better every day & arrangers let me be creative enough to do that. Sorry for teh rant but I will defend OMB playing to the hilt when I hear or read a "DIS"...sorry I gotta run to another double with my OMB today, Oh Gee, was I supposed to put a smiley in there tongue & cheek?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online