SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#232304 - 04/16/08 10:00 AM Re: Thanks to All - and HELP!
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Randy I too use BIAB on gigs. I converted some into midi files to load into my i30 for the convenience on 1-hour gigs so as not to have to set up the laptop.

On longer gigs I use BIAB on the laptop. I can improvise better when seeing the chords on the screen for the more difficult tunes like "All The Things You Are."

I also really enjoy the turn-arounds using the pedal bass on the 2nd and 4th beats. It makes the tunes swing more and inspires my improvisation.

Man you sound great on the Christmas tune. That’s the only tune that loads complete for me.
Boo

#232305 - 04/16/08 10:48 AM Re: Thanks to All - and HELP!
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Boo - thanks for the good words - most appreciated from a fellow reed man! I will zip the demos and email them to you, or if you send me your mailing address, I'll fire you a CD w/more stuff than is on the web site.

I have heard from another person that they can't play all the tunes. Not sure what the problem is yet.

I use several BIAB tracks on my gigs. I also have several I did on the Tyros and some of the Hal Leonard backing track series.

Thanks again for checking the site out and the kind words! Let me know how you want me to send you the files...

Randy

[This message has been edited by saxxman (edited 04-16-2008).]

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#232306 - 04/18/08 06:44 PM Re: Thanks to All - and HELP!
saxxman Offline

Boo - you will have "snail mail" on Monday - the Xmas CD as well as the whole demo CD.

Hope you like them!

Randy

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#232307 - 04/18/08 07:40 PM Re: Thanks to All - and HELP!
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
The first time into the site I was only getting 30 - 40 seconds of the songs ... second time in they all D/L fine ...
t.
PS ... Randy - thnx for the info ...
t.

#232308 - 04/18/08 08:14 PM Re: Thanks to All - and HELP!
zuki Offline

Randy,

Your bandwidth is too limited with the Go Daddy package you have. Move up to the 10 page deluxe and you'll be fine

[This message has been edited by zuki (edited 04-18-2008).]

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#232309 - 04/18/08 09:03 PM Re: Thanks to All - and HELP!
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Randy,
Thanks a bunch. Looking forward to practicing some of your licks. Ha! Ha! I try to copy everyone. I always hear don't copy, do your own stuff. I can't imagine someone copying and being able to play exacty like Dexter, Coltrane, Rollins, Sanborn or any of the greats and being disappointed with their playing. The same goes for Hank jones, McCoy Tyner, Wynton Kelly and the restof the great pianist.

#232310 - 04/18/08 10:11 PM Re: Thanks to All - and HELP!
saxxman Offline

Guys: Thanks again for checking the load times. Zuki - I will check into the bandwidth thing. I think you may be right. GoDaddy doesn't publish much about troubleshooting and you have to call their tech support guys to get some answers, which I will do. I am not sure if it has to do w/clicking before all have loaded. I noticed that if I sit for 30 seconds they all load, but if I jump on one right away it seems to interrupt the loading.

Nearly all the recordings were done a few years ago. I am cranking out my Korg D1600 this weekend and intend to put at least a couple straight jazz tunes out there. Maybe a couple Cole Porter tunes is what I am going to try for if I can get my D1600 to cooperate. Haven't recorded anything with it yet.

Boo - yeah - One of my favorite albums to listen to lately is Gene Harris and Stanley Turrentine and they put out some terrific sounds.

Randy

#232311 - 04/19/08 02:24 AM Re: Thanks to All - and HELP!
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Still got my MGS-64 in a little rack bag, got my KX5 remote in a little Korg keyboard bag, I want to sit in and jam with a band with a tight stage, this combo is killer!

Basically, it's close to the same engine as my old G1000, so I am very happy and familiar with all the sounds. And the pitch strip on the KX5 neck is the most intuitive bending device I've ever player. It's at the perfect angle and size to be utterly string-like (if you've played guitar or bass) and you can do all kinds of hammer on/off, trill and slide guitar things on it.

I don't care if it looks too retro eighties. To me, what matters is the control you get over the sound. This thing has no equal! I have a K2500 AND a Triton both with strips. They are nowhere NEAR as good as this cheap remote!

And don't get me started about sax emulation...! Learn all you want about the NOTES these great sax players played, and you still know NOTHING about making an arranger sax sound like a real one. The phrasing, with tonguing, legato, timbre, dynamics, scoops, bends, screams, moans and wailing (!) just are beyond modern technology. SA is a good start, now combine that with a breath controller and a palette of sax squeaks and noises, and you might have more of a start, but that's all it is... A start.

Any sax emulation that ever gets indistinguishable from the real thing is going to be SO complicated to play, and have voluntary control over all those myriad sounds is going to be just as hard to play as the real thing.

Might as well just LEARN sax...!

#232312 - 04/19/08 04:38 AM Re: Thanks to All - and HELP!
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Randy, nice sax work, especially 'Rainbow'. Hearing you list your influences nearly brought a tear to my eye since nearly all of those guys are also heroes of mine as well. I had the good fortune to work with Grover in Atlantic City one summer when he was in his early 20's but he a formidable player even then. It was a great time to be a musician. He was introduced to me by Charlie Earland, a great organ player and friend of mine who died way to soon. This was a period when organ trio's and quartets ruled the club scene. They're starting to make a minor comeback, at least in jazz clubs, and I'm lovin' it.

chas

#232313 - 04/19/08 05:48 AM Re: Thanks to All - and HELP!
saxxman Offline

Diki - you're right about the Roland sound module. I have a buddy in Nashville and he does many of his tracks with the Roland DS-330 which has a very similar sound engine as the MGS-64. I picked one of those up on Ebay a couple years back still in the box for $85. A great little module it is too.

Chas - yeah, I hope the combo's come back. Such a heritage we have in this country. I saw Grover in San Francisco and I saw Stanley w/his band there too. Another time in S/F I lucked out and got to go to see James Moody - a very cool guy and a terrific player. What amazes me is that the music schools like North Texas State and Berkley are still cranking the grads out.... used to be you waited for Maynard Ferguson to come to town and hoped someone on the bus got sick... now I guess they all are making recordings and building web sites. I wish it was like the "good old days" too.

Randy

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online