SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#232468 - 04/18/08 11:26 AM If your depressed dont read this
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Just read the all articles in the Latest news, to see how ignorant some people are.
http://www.cledgriffin.fsnet.co.uk/

Bill

#232469 - 04/18/08 11:50 AM Re: If your depressed dont read this
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Quote:
Originally posted by abacus:
Just read the all articles in the Latest news, to see how ignorant some people are.
http://www.cledgriffin.fsnet.co.uk/

Bill

Sorry, but Simon is right. I make most of my money of arrangers, but there's no question that when using "styles" and "sounds" of any keyboard, you are extremely limited. Yes, even with Super Articulation... An arranger is a jack of all trades but a master on none.

#232470 - 04/18/08 12:05 PM Re: If your depressed dont read this
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Ignorant,and unfortunately,influential

#232471 - 04/18/08 12:39 PM Re: If your depressed dont read this
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Look, guys... Here's the problem.

Many professional musicians DO use arrangers, and get very good results with them, often as good as dedicated WS's and SMFs, with far more interactivity. No argument there at all...

BUT.... VERY many absolutely terrible players use arrangers, people that can barely play a note. Now, stick these guys (and gals!) in front of a WS, and the odds are they will just shake their heads and give up. There is NO WAY that they can make themselves sound good enough to even fool themselves they don't suck, yet alone anyone else. So you'll NEVER have to listen to them play.

But stick them at an arranger, call up a style and hit the One Finger Chord section, and all of a sudden, it sort of sounds like music (even if they haven't the first clue what single finger to press!). This then leads them to the conclusion that they CAN play music, and someone else REALLY needs to hear this! In fact, as many people as possible...

And don't get defensive. We ALL know someone (or two) that will inflict their appalling playing on you if you give them half a chance (uncles, aunts and little old ladies that had a year of piano when they were eight are the worst culprits!). They just are SO proud of themselves, it's so hard to burst their little bubble with the information that, firstly, the chords are all wrong, they played them completely out of time, and the melody was just FUBAR.

But if you didn't have the first clue about music, you MIGHT be able to convince yourself that this was good...

So don't get all bent out of shape, those of you that DO play well, even well enough to make a living. I KNOW you know exactly the kind of person I'm talking about! And THEY are the kind of person Simon Cowell is talking about... (not you!)

Now, if I were the Prime Minister, I wouldn't ban these things completely. No, sir! But I WOULD make it necessary to have a license to play one in public that was obtained by being able to play something decent WITHOUT the auto ACC! That might at least relegate these awful players to their bedrooms and living rooms, where they actually belong!

Everyone deserves the opportunity to make music for themselves, and arrangers are the best way for non-musicians to achieve this. I've no problem with this... It's when they convince themselves they CAN play, and make you listen to it that I start to have a problem!

And so does Simon

#232472 - 04/18/08 12:49 PM Re: If your depressed dont read this
John DiLeo Offline

With the introduction of electronic computer driven music......this is only the beginning & its all still in its infancy. In years to come making music the way we do today will be a thing of the past dont kid your self to a hanging on attitude of the old days ...believe me its all coming very soon & it will change before your eyes taking Music Faking to a
"Whole 'Nother Level" my friends....shun it or embrace it but it will be part of our lives as sure as day. We're just stuck in Music Purgatory because of our baby boomer status in the world in between the Two World of then & now!.

#232473 - 04/18/08 01:14 PM Re: If your depressed dont read this
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
The artist mentioned in the parents reply, IS a professional musician and CAN play with out any backings.
Remember Simon Cowl didn’t even let her start playing.
Here is a link to her web site http://www.sarahfoley.co.uk/

Bill

#232474 - 04/18/08 01:15 PM Re: If your depressed dont read this
Diki Offline

Well, whatever this 'magic bullet' is, it can't come soon enough for me and Simon!

Anything that can turn these awful players into something even a music lover could enjoy can't get here soon enough!

Oh, wait... There IS something already that can do this. It's called a STEREO, and it requires NO SKILL WHATSOEVER. You just hit Play, and great music comes out...!

Amazing, isn't it..?

We ought to get one of these into the hands of all those bedroom arranger players in exchange for their keyboards...

#232475 - 04/18/08 01:18 PM Re: If your depressed dont read this
Diki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by abacus:
The artist mentioned in the parents reply, IS a professional musician and CAN play with out any backings.
Remember Simon Cowl didn’t even let her start playing.
Here is a link to her web site http://www.sarahfoley.co.uk/

Bill

After that awful Stars Wars clip, can you blame him?

And just remember, the show is called 'Britain's got TALENT', not 'Britain's got an arranger'

You want to demonstrate your talent, sit down at a piano.

You want to demonstrate your arranger, get a job in a music store!

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 04-18-2008).]

#232476 - 04/18/08 01:18 PM Re: If your depressed dont read this
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Forget a workstation. Sit them down to a real grand piano. Now there's where you have to know what you're doing. I've played solo piano, and with bands and orchestras for years. However in the retirement community market, an arranger is the way to go. They want an interactive show. The arranger is the best way to produce this. In the places I play, all the other guys use arrangers too and I always ger"Wow, you're way better than all the other guys who play here." Once again, it's not the instrument so much as it is the player. Just my humble opinion.

Ciao,

Joe

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala

#232477 - 04/18/08 01:30 PM Re: If your depressed dont read this
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
FUBAR?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online