SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#231566 - 04/07/08 01:59 PM Re: Still Deciding.......ugh..
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Richard Shiflet lives in your neck of the woods..He owns a G70..

Maybe he will volunteer..

#231567 - 04/08/08 12:21 AM Re: Still Deciding.......ugh..
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Im giving the Pa2x a second look. reason being is I am used to a workstation and the Korg is a workstation AND arranger. I am used to recording all the parts myself. In this case I can add just a bass styles or replace any part with instruments from different styles.

I really want 76 keys so I don't have to buy two keyboards. After download the Korg demos (not Mp3) and putting them up on my sound system I have to say the Korg equals the Tyros in many areas.

The S900 is a great "sound module" but the lack of sliders and controllers turn me off..
There are some things that need not be imbedded deep in the non touch screen.

I just read the Korg has digital out. Thats a great feature and a good match for my Prosonus Firebox. I will ask a few questions of the Korg Pa2X and PA800 owners in another thread if you guys don't mind.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#231568 - 04/08/08 02:10 AM Re: Still Deciding.......ugh..
Ensnareyou Offline

Loc: California
I quite like the sound and layout of the PA2X Pro but am disappointed by the recent shift in Korg's build quality, or lack thereof. Many manufacturers have taken a downward turn and have decided to use cheaper materials to make their instruments. Yamaha has been notorious for doing so for many years (PSR and Tyros for example) and now Korg has taken Yamaha's queue. The new Korg M3 workstation and PA2X arranger are departures from their previous instruments and while they may look cool, they certainly don't pass my quality/materials test. The PA2X Pro is definitely better built than say an M3 or Tyros II but compare either one of these to the build quality of a Korg Oasys and you'll be sickened by it all.

Perhaps I'm different than many other players who don't seem to care if a keyboard is built with cheap plastic parts, has a poor key action, or buttons that seem so flimsy that they'll snap off, but I think any keyboard that costs more than $2,000.00 should look like it's worth $2,000.00+, not $200! I've seen cheap toys at Wal-Mart that have better materials than many of these new arrangers. There's definitely something wrong with that picture!

#231569 - 04/08/08 02:39 AM Re: Still Deciding.......ugh..
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I agree that build quality is important. Eventhough it may not be most important, it goes a long way in instilling pride in owning a quality keyboard, not to mention longevity.

That was a major reason I traded my PA800 for a G-70

#231570 - 04/08/08 05:45 AM Re: Still Deciding.......ugh..
John DiLeo Offline

After reading past posts, It seems people care more about weight vs quality build which is heavier to carry. I've never had an issue with my PSR3000 regarding construction, so who's right or wrong?

#231571 - 04/08/08 05:49 AM Re: Still Deciding.......ugh..
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Common misconception...size and weight equal quality and performance.

Don't be fooled.

#231572 - 04/08/08 06:07 AM Re: Still Deciding.......ugh..
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bernie9:
I agree that build quality is important. Eventhough it may not be most important, it goes a long way in instilling pride in owning a quality keyboard, not to mention longevity.

That was a major reason I traded my PA800 for a G-70

I respectfully disagree with you Bernine. I say the build quality on the PA800 is VERY GOOD. It's not cheap plastic and the keys are good and tight. If you're comparing to an all steel, refrigerator weight product, then best to those who want to haul that around. No money in the world would have me hoist the G70 in and out of a car. It might last 10 years, but I wouldn't!

zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#231573 - 04/08/08 06:12 AM Re: Still Deciding.......ugh..
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Please don’t buy because of another’s opinion, we all have different needs both musically and physically, there lies the criteria for selecting your keyboard. I have seen the G 70 – E 80 – and the Tyros 2, all are very fine keyboards, they all meet your needs but in a different way.
My choice was a S900. Cost, size and weight made my decision. For me, there was not enough of what I wanted in the above keyboards to justify the dollar cost.

John C.

#231574 - 04/08/08 06:33 AM Re: Still Deciding.......ugh..
richard_shiflet Offline

Loc: Greenwood, SC -USA
The G70 is a great keyboard, both in the build quality and in that it is designed more like a "Pro" board and not like one for "home" use. I've never owned a keyboard with speakers built in, and the last 61 key instrument I owned was a Korg I3 (about 20 years ago)and it was midi-ed to an 88 key Roland.

I have taken the G70 out on a few gigs, but it was on the top tier of a 2 tier keyboard stand and midi-ed to the MSX88 Pro Mediastation beneath it. I prefer the fully weighted hammer action and 88 keys. I am now just taking the Mediastation by itself. I have moved anything that I needed over from the G70 and I'm using the G70 at home to take advantage of its styles that the Mediastation doesn't have.

Also I prefer either Giga sounds for my piano or NI Akoustik Piano, but I feel that the Roland is one of the better ROM Piano sounds of any major keyboard brand with the exception of Kurzweil and they don't make a portable arranger.

If you would like to demo the G70, just let me know I am in SC also. I'll send you an email with contact info.

In the end, pick what feels right for you. There are a lot of happy musicians here playing keyboards that I have no interest in, and there are many who would not like the keyboards that I use. That is why we're fortunate to have several choices, everyone has different priorities and requirements.

As long as you can express your music and enjoy doing it then you have made the right choice.

#231575 - 04/08/08 08:21 AM Re: Still Deciding.......ugh..
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by John DiLeo:
After reading past posts, It seems people care more about weight vs quality build which is heavier to carry. I've never had an issue with my PSR3000 regarding construction, so who's right or wrong?

I'm with you. I would rather a lighter board made of plastic then a heavy metal one like my 61 key Triton was. It was all metal. The PSRs are light. I am only concerned with what it does. I would rather "add" the metal at my convenience "as in a case." LOL

I have not read of any build quality issues en mass that affected the sound or operational quality of any of these arrangers.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online