SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#231313 - 04/04/08 09:08 PM Why so emotional about the Bose PAS???
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
(This is the new thread I was referring to earlier.)

I've noticed something happening recently and I want to get to the bottom of it.

More than one thread lately has, let's face it, either gone completely OT, been derailed (by myself as well as others) or been sent downhill in the worst way, all because of four words:

Bose Personal Amplification System.

Now I've got to make a few things clear before we start.

1. I think people CAN have their own opinions on ANY piece of gear, philosophy, working methods, Religion, favourite colour...WHATEVER.

2. I don't think, and have never said, that the Bose system is for everyone, and people can love the sound, hate the sound, judge the sound as is their right.

3. I'm not espousing the system in this thread - even though you all know what side of the fence I'm on - I want an honest civil discussion.

4. Failing that, I'm happy for this thread to degenerate sooner or later into a Love/Hate Attack/Defend diatribe (from BOTH sides) because maybe this thread can be like a "virtual swear Jar" where people can post things as nasty as they like if it keeps other threads from being "Bose polluted".

Now what I want to say, more than ANYTHING else is this:

This system has caused more "hate talk" and Emotionalism than any other PA system I can recall.
Some *ahem* "discussions" about it even rival the fierce "My arranger is better than yours" debates (and we all know how THOSE go).

Why can OTHER pieces of gear (well PA's and the like) be rationally discussed, other companies and their methods (Advertising/Marketing/Research & Development) be discussed in a balanced way (mostly) and not the Bose PAS or Bose itself?

I've even had emails from more than one Synthzone member (and they will remain anonymous) advising me on the system in PRIVATE so as not to cause trouble!!

I mean, when was the last time someone on a forum felt they had to hold "secret talks" about some PA gear for fear of ridicule or attack????

This is ridiculous.

Some will think I'm making a mountain out of a molehill, others will be nodding their head in agreeance with me, (and other's probably won't care at all!) but this really deserves a thread on it's own for a while so we can at LEAST clear the air.

Love the Bose? Fine.
Hate the Bose? Fine - really, I mean that.

But for God's sake, can we try to discuss it NORMALLY like most other pieces of gear - well PA gear....

How about it?

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#231314 - 04/04/08 09:12 PM Re: Why so emotional about the Bose PAS???
Dnj Offline

Well you have some people paying under $200.00 for a so called pro computer speaker PA that sounds great...& then you have others paying $3000.00 for a bose PAS setup....& you wanna know why there is a conflict?

#231315 - 04/04/08 09:22 PM Re: Why so emotional about the Bose PAS???
zuki Offline

So what is your question?

I didn't like the Bose for the following reasons:

1. I like to hear more detail/separation of my keyboard arranger.
2. I didn't have time to devote to making it sound good.
3. It was very expensive and allowed for quite the shopping opportunity upon return.
4. I am USED TO 2 speaker cabinets - one in each ear if you will.
5. There are too many pieces to tear down and set up (minor issue I could've lived with).
6. Lastly, some love the sound, others not, plain and simple (I am the latter).

Now that was civil?

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#231316 - 04/04/08 09:31 PM Re: Why so emotional about the Bose PAS???
hellboy44 Offline

Yes it was Zuki, thank you and I appreciate the reply.

As for price, I think, yes, that's an initial sticking point for many.

Keep 'em coming boys.

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#231317 - 04/04/08 09:56 PM Re: Why so emotional about the Bose PAS???
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I think the negative reaction comes from some of the zealotry of those that DO use a Bose PAS. 'I like it' and 'I don't' don't really get people's goat up. But the patent cheerleading for this system from many that DO, 'This is the best PA in the world!', 'Nothing even comes close' 'I played a 40,000 arena with ONE sub, and they all partied their brains out!' (OK, that one's an exaggeration!), when waved in front of those of us that HAVE tried it, and found it lacking, especially in low mids and 'punch' (great highs, though) is a little hard to swallow.

Look, I don't even like Bose stereos. They all (IMO) have a 'sound'. And the LAST thing I want to hear is a 'sound' of the stereo itself. I just want the music, as uncolored as possible. I listen to probably 90% of all music through my Mackie HR824's. The rest of the time, it's B&W monitors ($3.5k of them). I think I know what 'flat' sounds like. I work part time as a mastering engineer, for everyone from local acts up to national bands. I would NEVER master anything on a Bose system. They are just too 'hyped'.

Their PA's, same thing. Now, this is just my opinion. I don't try to force feed MY preferences in PA gear down anyone's throat. Would that SOME PAS users would do the same...

#231318 - 04/04/08 10:07 PM Re: Why so emotional about the Bose PAS???
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
To get my opinion, just hit Search. I've voiced it for three years, and don't intend to comment on it again.
Anyone coming to the Shreveport Jam April 12 can hear, and play through it themselves. There will be traditional systems to A-B also.
DonM

#231319 - 04/04/08 10:11 PM Re: Why so emotional about the Bose PAS???
hellboy44 Offline

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#231320 - 04/05/08 03:26 AM Re: Why so emotional about the Bose PAS???
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
A solution to the stereo issue, is to use TWO Bose systems in stereo.

Expensive? Maybe...but you wouldn't need monitors, and that's got to count for something...good monitors or "in-ear" systems aren't cheap.

The L1 system would also look much cleaner on stage.

Ian

#231321 - 04/05/08 05:35 AM Re: Why so emotional about the Bose PAS???
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
With regard to the "MANY" pieces of setup:
A traditional PA would include
2 speaker stands (wide footprint)
2 wires (usually ugly, mostly dangerous)
2 30+ lb speakers ( you need to LIFT UP )
* maybe even an extra sub

so, that's 7 pieces, IF you're using powered speakers....add ONE more if you need a PA head...TWO more for a separate mixer and power amp.

Then, you still don't have:
modeled inputs
active EQ
intelligent compression
tiny, tiny footprint, LARGE coverage

I won't engage in hate talk ... I'm just trying to make the advantages clear. Some people won't like it, and that's fine, but many people have converted after trying it .... so, I'm trying to show the advantages to everyone. In the end, you make your own choice, of course.

Take the price, and divide all the components up, and it not as expensive as you might guess, considering all the advantages! And the rugged covers that are included with the system fit beautifully, store easily and protect the finish from scratches and light bumps.

My biggest love is the quick, consise setup. I'm in and ready to go in about 10 minutes. No need to even sound check, because I know what it will sound like.

#231322 - 04/05/08 05:49 AM Re: Why so emotional about the Bose PAS???
zuki Offline

One resident asked me if I brought in a stove pipe

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online