SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#234122 - 05/10/08 01:38 PM A gift from Microsoft a la SP3 for XP..
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
I thought I would mention this since nearly 60 percent of consumer PCs and almost 70 percent of business PCs worldwide still run XP. You may have not read that Windows XP SP3 is now on Microsoft's Windows Update Site. Since it is not a critical update it won't pop up in the Automatic Updates notifying you of SP3.

Warning! A word of caution for those who may have an HP computer with an AMD chipset. There have been reports of computers becoming unbootable (even in safe mode!) so if you have an HP computer with an AMD chipset you may want to forego installing SP3 until Microsoft provides a patch. Other than that specific case i.e. an HP computer with AMD chipset, it is recommended by Microsoft to update your XP OS to SP3. I installed it on my machine and everything is good to go with no apparent problems. SP3 provides many fixes and enhancements along with greater security. Your mileage may vary of course..

Best,
Mike

PS: Microsoft also recommends you disable any Anti-Virus software before installing SP3 but do so according to your own discretion.

#234123 - 05/10/08 01:58 PM Re: A gift from Microsoft a la SP3 for XP..
Dnj Offline

Im from the If it ain't broke dont fix it mentality

#234124 - 05/10/08 02:47 PM Re: A gift from Microsoft a la SP3 for XP..
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I'm from the 'If it's from Microsoft, wait a few weeks and see what can go wrong' school of thought, myself!

#234125 - 05/10/08 03:38 PM Re: A gift from Microsoft a la SP3 for XP..
Bachus Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
I'm from the 'If it's from Microsoft, wait a few weeks and see what can go wrong' school of thought, myself!

Thats with all software developers, its not only microsoft....

I would never upgrade my keyboard that i'd need in a live situation untill others toroughly tested the latest patch, not even a Wersi and those are running on Windows XP..

Tough you are right, i,'d wat a few weeks before updating, as otherwise you get to deal with the early adapter problem...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#234126 - 05/10/08 03:51 PM Re: A gift from Microsoft a la SP3 for XP..
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi All
I have been using SP3 for the last couple of months (Beta version) with no problems at all; I installed the final version about 3 weeks ago, again with no problems. (Service packs are released to business users and Network technicians long before being let loose on the public)
Hope this helps

Bill

#234127 - 05/10/08 05:15 PM Re: A gift from Microsoft a la SP3 for XP..
miden Offline

Loc: The World
I would suggest it is a perfectly safe and useful upgrade.

XP is now a very mature and stable platform, (unless you are a "tweaker" and stuff things up). I know, I get it all the time when fixing them, and no matter how many times you advise people on "safe" computing, invariably you are back there within 6 months to fix it again.
Oh well, keeps me in $'s I suppose.

#234128 - 05/10/08 05:18 PM Re: A gift from Microsoft a la SP3 for XP..
Jenkins Offline

Loc: NC, USA
Hello,

Here is a link you can use to help you decide if you want to apply the SP3 update now.
http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=2010&SiteID=17

Just keep in mind that those forums are for dealing with issues. People who have a successful SP3 installation experience may have no reason to post.

What am I doing? I'm going to do what I always do. Minor updates I install as they are available. Major updates (like SP2 & SP3)... I'll wait a few weeks to see how things shake out.

Your mileage may vary.

Thanks.

#234129 - 05/12/08 08:26 AM Re: A gift from Microsoft a la SP3 for XP..
Booby Offline

Hi,

I had to report a problem with my HP AMD computer being not able to reboot.

Fortunately with a restart in safe mode I was able to find a point to restore the previous situation. Fortunately it works perfectly and I'm sticky with my SP2.

Hope this help.

Regards.

#234130 - 05/12/08 01:40 PM Re: A gift from Microsoft a la SP3 for XP..
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Tried downloading SP3 yesterday and found that I was short on HD space. So i started offloading some of my mp3/wma files to make room. The computer pooped out. Booted up this morning and found that the computer is trying to go back to a fixed save point, but there is a missing dll, autocheck. Now it just gets to that screen and reboots. Today I'm writing from a spare laptop and having to update it to have most of the things I'm used to.

How do I get past the missing autocheck problem?

#234131 - 05/12/08 03:15 PM Re: A gift from Microsoft a la SP3 for XP..
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
See if you can start in safe mode, and do the repairs from there.
You can also re-install Windows to repair any damaged files.
Hope this helps

Bill

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online