SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#229267 - 03/15/08 03:02 PM What are the pros and cons of the Korg Pa2x PRO
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
I am thinking of getting one as I have had about everything else and my only korg is the M3R with the remote for programing it.
I am currently playing the Roland E 80 and the Tyros 2.
I think I will trade the E 80 and keep the Tyros 2 for the motorhome. The sound system can just stay in the motorhome and only a light keyboard to pack back and forth. There are plenty of sound systems here in the studio for it.
I would like to know your opinions of this Korg Pa1X PRO board for me now that I only do a very rare occaisonal gig and very little studio work anymore. I just Jam mostly now days, at home and Jam sessions in the Motorhome parks, or play for clubhouse or street dances.
Appreciate your replies.
thanks to all,
Bebop

#229268 - 03/15/08 03:36 PM Re: What are the pros and cons of the Korg Pa2x PRO
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Bebop,

Check out this thread, you will see some reviews.
http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/017130.html

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#229269 - 03/15/08 04:24 PM Re: What are the pros and cons of the Korg Pa2x PRO
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
The Korg gives you most of the good stuff from the Tyros 2 and the Roland G70/E80 in a nicely balanced package. (Even the key bed falls slap bang in the middle of the 2)
The exception is the OS which is a pain in the backside (butt) until you get used to it, when it becomes just as easy as and/or hard as any other.
Hope this helps

Bill

[This message has been edited by abacus (edited 03-15-2008).]

#229270 - 03/15/08 06:14 PM Re: What are the pros and cons of the Korg Pa2x PRO
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Bebop,
don't actually own the PA2X, I've got the PA800.
I haven't had this much enjoyment out of a keyboard since my KN7000 days.
Took 3 brands till I finally found the right one to replace my Technics.
Might be a bit of a learning curve at first though.
Fortunately PA2X's & PA800's have the same styles & can load styles from previous models. But earlier models like pa1x can't load a style created on a PA800 with the latest operating system installed. So keep that in mind if you're considering a pa1x/pro.
best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BEBOP:
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#229271 - 03/15/08 06:51 PM Re: What are the pros and cons of the Korg Pa2x PRO
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
Hi Bebop

The pros are a significant enrichening of your sound, 76 keys with great feel, and the ability to create files with all your song settings in a songbook that you can sort by alpha or genre and from which you can select for playlists.

The cons are the length of time it takes (has taken me) to set up each song given that this OS is so different from my Yamaha experience. It's getting quicker and the reward is worth it, but it needs patience and perseverance. I also still miss some of the Yamaha styles, though I am gradually finding good alternatives - it requires a rethink of the song and the way of playing the song.

I thought I would just duplicate what I had created on the Yamaha, but this just lead to frustration - you have to creatively work with what you have on the Korg Pa2X and there is a lot of good, so once you get into this frame of mind the process becomes much more rewarding.

Bottom line is I never touch my Tyros 2 now, and plan to put it on eBay shortly.

Best wishes

Graham

#229272 - 03/15/08 08:29 PM Re: What are the pros and cons of the Korg Pa2x PRO
zuki Offline

Bebop,

I have the PA800 and I can say that after every board imaginable, I really like the "live" feel this has to offer.

The OS is very intuitive and makes much sense after figuring it out (finally)

If you specific questions, feel free to email me: cjherrmann650@cs.com

Good luck.

zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#229273 - 03/16/08 02:45 AM Re: What are the pros and cons of the Korg Pa2x PRO
spalding Offline

Loc: Birmingham
The majorb issyue right now is that the PA2X and 800 have been released full of serious bugs. It would be wrong not to mention this. Korg have just released a new OS to correct the bugs. I would wait a month or two and see whether this has stabilised the OS. Other than that if you have tried the Korg PA series it is in a similar vein to its predecessors

#229274 - 03/16/08 03:45 AM Re: What are the pros and cons of the Korg Pa2x PRO
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by PraiseTheLord:
Hi Bebop

The pros are a significant enrichening of your sound, 76 keys with great feel, and the ability to create files with all your song settings in a songbook that you can sort by alpha or genre and from which you can select for playlists.

I also still miss some of the Yamaha styles, though I am gradually finding good alternatives - it requires a rethink of the song and the way of playing the song.

Bottom line is I never touch my Tyros 2 now, and plan to put it on eBay shortly.

Best wishes

Graham

Ditto!! When I first bought the PA800 I never touched my Tyros2 other playing it for 1 gig, only because I didn't have enough time to set up the PA800 for the gig. Even the night before I packed it up for shipment to it's new home I didn't bother playing it. I liked the PA800 that I upgraded to the PA2xPro.

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 03-16-2008).]

#229275 - 03/16/08 05:20 AM Re: What are the pros and cons of the Korg Pa2x PRO
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
The only pro that hasn't been mentioned is that I sell PA2Xpros.

LOL anyway I found that depending on the keyboard your coming from there will be some getting used to.

Coming from a Tyros 2 you'll probably notice the styles being more open and not as busy or full. you'll find yourself adding pads or strings because at first you think they are thin, but in some time you'll realize its just a differnt take on the style, which I think allows more room and space for your own add ons to the style.

Vocalizer is probably the best, the Roland is very close, but still second, in ,my opinion.

Midi file playback would be Roland first, Korg 2nd, Yamaha 3rd. I think Yamaha can do much better if they replace their xg sounds and make midi file GM Program changes go directly to their best voices.

Anyway I sell Korg and just finished the paperwork for Yamhaha, should see them coming in a week or so.

Frank

------------------
www.audioworksct.com
Frank@audioworksct.com
KETRON,
KORG, MACKIE, SAMSON..........,

#229276 - 03/16/08 10:21 AM Re: What are the pros and cons of the Korg Pa2x PRO
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Thank you friends for your imputes.
I haven't yet looked for one to try out but will once everyone has posted to this thread. Then I will decide to make a change or stay with the pair I am mostly using now.
Thanks to all,
Bebop

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online