SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#227122 - 02/15/08 08:03 PM Another one bites the dust!
zuki Offline

.........the PA800. A great board with incredible sounds, styles and an array of wonderful options - but not for ME.

Currently in the ads section and on eBay.

Next up for me - T2 - any trade interests?

zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#227123 - 02/15/08 08:15 PM Re: Another one bites the dust!
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Hey Suki,

I am selling my PA1X too. Have it on ebay and several websites - will get the Tyros 2 next.

Hammer

#227124 - 02/16/08 12:52 AM Re: Another one bites the dust!
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...

#227125 - 02/16/08 02:01 AM Re: Another one bites the dust!
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO
i must say, i find quite remarkable how easy you change your oppinion about these boards, zuki. nothing wrong with this, it's your oppinion, but i really am amazed how alot of us here would buy a pretty powerfull piece of technology and in a matter of days, they are ready to change. again! i believe it is just too much fun doing it... must be, otherwise i don't understand.
peace, brother!

#227126 - 02/16/08 04:56 AM Re: Another one bites the dust!
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
I think that on a board such as this one, too many people get led to slaughter by the resident 'Judas Goat'. Assigning credibility to someone who repeatedly showers praise on their latest acquisition only to sell it and reverse course an 'instant' later.......well, don't you really deserve the disappointment you will inevitably experience by following such a person's lead.

Why a T2, Zuki? You could wait a couple of weeks and get a G70, plus a like-new Traynor K4 to go with it.....at full price, of course. Good luck on your next 'rebound' purchase. You might want to 'try before you buy' next time. Might save you a coupla' bucks. JMO.

chas

chas

#227127 - 02/16/08 05:44 AM Re: Another one bites the dust!
zuki Offline

You don't know the board until you have it long enough to figure if it will do the necessary things for your respective venue. One week was long enough for me to realize that it would take many months to make it work.

Adimitis, I tried many many nights to customize it for my job and finally got frustrated.

It really boiled down to the styles department. Although they are really very good, the versatility lacked, as much as tried.

I think Korg is close, but not yet there. It kind of reminds me of the Ensoniq days - power with little finesse.

I've played live with Yamaha only and will continue to do so. I wish they just would incorporate more in-your-face drums and better bass.

The T2 is desirable: a bit more power, pop up screen, key bed, more styles/sounds and a few other items.

Sorry if I mislead anyone. Don't blame Donny for sharing his excitement and swaying others to look at it. We all are big boys here.

zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#227128 - 02/16/08 05:48 AM Re: Another one bites the dust!
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
It took me about a week to figure out that the PA800 wasn't for me also. It was just too hard to come up with styles I liked. This is not a problem with Yamaha, Ketron or Roland.
Still, I fought it for a couple of months. SOOO glad to get back to something "friendly".
Still, you can't really know this kind of thing unless you have it to try. It may be perfect for someone else.
DonM

#227129 - 02/16/08 06:09 AM Re: Another one bites the dust!
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
I am in the same boat - been trying for over a week to setup styles for my gigs - very frustrating. It is really a shame because when I do find a good match it sounds great.

Hey Don, email me a contact phone number - if the wife and I head your way today or Sunday I will need to call you.

Hammer

#227130 - 02/16/08 07:06 AM Re: Another one bites the dust!
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
"I've played live with Yamaha only and will continue to do so. I wish they just would incorporate more in-your-face drums and better bass."

Zuki, you can do this using Yamaha's onboard Style Creator program by creating a custom style, or via the Mixing Console and storing the information in registrations. It's very easy to do, and extremely effective.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#227131 - 02/16/08 07:07 AM Re: Another one bites the dust!
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I love my PA800. It is not as simple as the Yamaha system, but with all the plusses it gives me, I'll deal with the extra work to get comfy.

Things I can't do with the Yamaha:

1)sing through a pro mic input with outstanding harmony
2)mix live, seq, and mp3 effortlessly
3)trigger the harmony in real time with NO hiccups. I turn on/off alot. Yamaha has serious issues with the arranger being on or off.
4)keep the sound playing as I switch to other sounds. Yamaha cuts too many sounds off when you switch to another
5)octave of the RH does not change if I switch out of arr mode. (really dumb)
6)mutipads, songbook - no contest
7)keybed is so much better. tighter. firmer.

Things I miss on the Yamaha:

1)simpler styles
2)fillin/var buttons are the same
3)easier mixer section

These days, I play more all live with no auto styles, and in this scenario, I'd much rather play the 800 than any Yamaha arranger. The keys feel better, the sounds work better for me, and the general look and layout of the board is more reminisant of when I started playing keys long ago.

Roland keys are too long, Yamaha is too short, Korg is JUUUUUST right !
( Sound like Goldilocks, huh? )

Yamaha makes a terrific product, and if they ever put the arrangers inside a better feeling keyboard, I may go back, but for mow - I simply can't. I'm spoiled by the great feel and versitility of the Korg.

The 800 was worth the ticket price just as a piano/bass/vocal machine. The rest is gravy !

The closest thing I had to this PA800 was the Yamaha 9000pro, but the vocal input was no match, and neither were the drum sounds. So much inprovement has happened since those days.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online