SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#223111 - 12/21/07 09:37 AM Some thoughts on my PA800
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Let me start by saying I don’t want to delve too deeply into any keyboard’s OS. I want to play, enjoy, keep my audiences happy without spending hours and hours tweaking keyboard settings . I also don’t care to dissect every feature of a board. I have to do enough dissecting on my day job, music is my hobby and a part time endeavor, bottom line is have some fun, maybe earn a few extra dollars.

In the last year I have owned and sold off the PSR 3000, Tyros2 and G70. I still own the Clavinova CVP 307 and intend to keep it for home use. 88 keys with a graded piano hammer action and arranger features is a good fit and hard to beat when I want to play piano solo. BTW I enjoyed both the Roland and Yamaha boards I sold. In the big picture nothing wrong with either of them.

I’ve had the PA800 for about 5 weeks and this is what I like about it.

Touch Screen
Unplugged Styles
Bossa Styles
Live Sound
Songbook feature easy to setup and create custom playlists. I like having a master list of songs in the Songbook then on the fly adding them to whatever custom playlist I happen to be working from at the time.
When using the Songbook feature choosing next song and getting a smooth segue into the next song style
When using the Songbook feature the ability to place midi or mp3 files into a custom playlist.
On screen Qwerty keyboard
The MP3 very easy to use and the ability to choose recording quality level.
2 USB connectors
To my ears authentic sounding B3 organs
Using the joy stick to trigger the rotary effect of the organs.
EC 5 pedal. Simple to set up and versatile.
Great Wah trumpet, I love the wide eyes my audience gets when I'm playing it.
Discovering that some of my favorite styles were the same favorite styles I played on the Tyros as converted styles.

My dislikes, I will miss the better keyboard action on the Tyros 2 and of course the superb action of the G70

A final thought: I’ve resigned myself that to the fact that unless I accept the weight of a G70 I’ll have to settle for more synth like action vs. a piano action. I’ve also found the longer I ‘m playing an arranger board the less time I play at the acoustic piano. Most NH/Assisted living facilities and the country clubs I’ve played have pianos. So when I feel I want to play a piano solo it’s just matter of moving from one bench to the other without having to haul around a controller or a heavy weight keyboard.

Oh, one more thing, I've used the PA800 on my last 4 gigs the audiences seem to love what they are hearing. I don't remember getting as many compliments or offers of more work. Can it be the board? I have spent lots of time this last year practicing, maybe it's the practice? Could be either one, but something to think about.

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 12-21-2007).]

#223112 - 12/21/07 10:27 AM Re: Some thoughts on my PA800
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Stephen, have you recorded anything we can listen to yet?
Thanks,
DonM

#223113 - 12/21/07 11:01 AM Re: Some thoughts on my PA800
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Stephen, I'm very happy for you. I know how torn you were with using and keeping the T2 and G70. The Pa800 seems like a good fit for you. You and I both know the pros and cons of the Yammy and Rolly boards. Korg has a good board too. I liked mine when I had one; I just moved on. Good luck on your increased gigging in 2008.

#223114 - 12/21/07 11:15 AM Re: Some thoughts on my PA800
Stephenm52 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
Stephen, have you recorded anything we can listen to yet?
Thanks,
DonM

Don, I have, I'm at the day job before weekend's over I'll upload something.

#223115 - 12/21/07 11:23 AM Re: Some thoughts on my PA800
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Steve ... glad to hear you're enjoying the kb so much, and getting more work ... although I don't NEED the competition ...

t.

#223116 - 12/21/07 12:01 PM Re: Some thoughts on my PA800
Stephenm52 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
Steve ... glad to hear you're enjoying the kb so much, and getting more work ... although I don't [b]NEED the competition ...

t. [/B]

Tony yea, it's a small state we live in. We know in the larger states the counties are larger than our entire state. Good news is some of the work is in Massachusetts where I work.

If you're not doing anything Sunday Dec 30 between 11 AM and 2 PM I'm playing at Java Madness and will have the PA800 and the Roland CM30s. If you and the Mrs. aren't doing anything it be great to see you. I'd be happy to buy you breakfast or lunch.

#223117 - 12/21/07 02:56 PM Re: Some thoughts on my PA800
Dnj Online   content

Steve take pics & video for us too

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online