SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#222858 - 12/16/07 03:21 PM DSL Cable or whatever
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
I downloaded BIAB day before yesterday on my old IBM 600 at one coffee shop in Grand Junction that was 26.6 kb per sec. I had to shut down and loose everything after 2 hours because they were closing.

Yesterday I downloaded at a coffe shop near my home and it was at 160 kb per sec. This only took 23 minutes. The file is 159MB. BIAB doesn't work very good on my old computer.

So, today I bought a new computer from Best Buy. The coffe shop near my home is closed, so I'm back in town at a third coffee shop and it is downloading as I type at 60.5 kb per sec.

It's obvious that all DSL Cable or whatever is not the same. If ever I decide to get DSL,Cable or whatever, What will I need to know to figure out which is the fastest?

Boo

#222859 - 12/16/07 04:26 PM Re: DSL Cable or whatever
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.
Hi brickboo,

DSL will be faster than dial-up.

Cable or Broadband , well be even faster.

I used to have just dial-up , and selling on eBay and up-loading pic`s was a pain , but like you , my old iMac was not able to handle broadband speed.

I bought a new Mac , and now have broadband service . and it screams as far as speed.

I had to down load a 350 + MB download and thought it would take a few hours , instead it was a few minutes !!

However , they are charging way to much for the service , I know I`m cheap !!
But hey , all your doing is tapping into a server , I mean you are not really seeing anything tangible , it is just a service.

I would find it very hard to go back to dial up !!

Good luck !
Gary 

#222860 - 12/16/07 05:36 PM Re: DSL Cable or whatever
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
jedi, I don't know what kind of service you are using, or what your paying, but DSL is costing me about $24 per month ...
This week I will be looking into 'bundling' cable TV with HD and DVR, telephone, and DSL I'net for $99 per month ...
And you are right ... I could NEVER go back to dial up ...
t.

#222861 - 12/16/07 06:06 PM Re: DSL Cable or whatever
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
I've had both cable and dsl I went back to dsl because it's half the price and I really don't notice any difference in speed with the cable.
Everybody on my street has cable and I also had the bundle. But when I got to paying $175 a month for cable,phone, internet,and dvr I had to sit myself down and have a talk with myself.
Now I pay $7.09 for cable $24.99 for dsl and I have a prepaid cell phone with my home number that costs me 10 cents a minute I spend about $15.00 a month. I also use Skype and I use the Skype out (I think it's called) where I can dial any number in the USA from my computer, that cost about $3 a month.

Hey editing is back! Let's use it respectfully.

[This message has been edited by mikeathome1 (edited 12-17-2007).]

#222862 - 12/16/07 06:28 PM Re: DSL Cable or whatever
jedi Offline

Yes , good DSL is fine , if you can get it !!

In my area , good service for just about anything is like trying to find a good arranger keyboard !! LOL

Y`a for the past 6 months i have had a 19.99 deal , but that is ending next week

We might be getting Verizon at some point for DSL and TV , that might be better than Comcast.

I still think that you pay too much no matter what you get !

Don`t have a clear view to the southern sky , so Dish is out , and I don`t think I would want it any way , O__well !

Later ,
Gary 

#222863 - 12/17/07 06:45 AM Re: DSL Cable or whatever
kalimero Offline

Loc: Dubrovnik, Croatia
brickboo,

Download speed roughly depends on three factors:

a) your internet connection speed
b) bandwidth capacity (and the load) of the route from your PC to the server you are downloading from
c) internet connection speed (and the load) of the server you are downloading from

Factor b) is in most cases irrelevant because routes between the servers are with much higher capacity then connection speeds of servers (or your PC).

Factor c) tells you that even if You have high speed connection to the internet (let say 4 Mb/sec) it doesn't mean you will always achieve that download speed (512 KB/sec in this case) because of two reasons.

Reason 1: Connection speed of the server (or PC if we are talking about peer-to-peer services) is lower then yours (in that case max. download speed will be the connection speed of that other PC/server).

Reason 2: If there is lots of connections (other then Yours) on the specific server/PC then the bandwidth of it's internet connection is shared and the speed will be reduced acordingly (for instance if you download from server connected at 512 KB/s, and there is 4 PC connected to the server, that is you, and three other users, your download speed will be 128 KB/s).

Anyway, when acquiring new high speed internet connection, choose the speed according to Your needs, and financial abilities (there is no need to buy extra high speed connection and paying lots of money if you use just a fraction of it.

[This message has been edited by kalimero (edited 12-17-2007).]

#222864 - 12/17/07 09:36 AM Re: DSL Cable or whatever
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I have Comcast cable inet, which is supposed to be 6 mbps, lightening fast. It is - most of the time, but is rarely over 4 mbps. A good 2 mg DSL line would be acceptable for most of the things I do, but we have cable TV, so it is convenient to have the cable inet. If this package gets any more expensive, I'm going to switch to DSL. My son has it; he's a computer support guy. It works fine for him.

#222865 - 12/17/07 11:03 AM Re: DSL Cable or whatever
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
A word to the wise Comcast users - when your promo runs out (even the month before) contact Comcast and ask for the RETENTION dept. They usually have the best available deals; usually not the same as the regular sales agents. Be sure to ask for a 'retention' agent. I just switched from cable and internet at $90 to inet, phone and cable with dvr and free HBO for $113 for 1 yr. - expensive, but cheaper and better service than the competition offer.

#222866 - 12/17/07 11:44 AM Re: DSL Cable or whatever
jedi Offline

Thanks "cassp" for the tip

I called last week , and was given a number to call before the 23rd , "retention dept. , I`ll give it a try , thanks

Gary 

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online