SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#220946 - 12/30/03 11:17 AM Band in a Box: Worth upgrading to new 32 bit 2004 version?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Any Band in a Box http://pgmusic.com/bandbox.htm users here upgrade to the new Band in a Box 2004 32 bit version? I've got version 11 installed and wonder if Band in a Box 2004 sports enough improvements to make it worth the upgrade.

Also curious if it's possible to easily convert Band in a Box Styles into Yamaha (.STY) Styles for use in the Tyros. Thanks, - Scott

#220947 - 12/30/03 11:39 AM Re: Band in a Box: Worth upgrading to new 32 bit 2004 version?
Jos Maas Offline

Loc: Hantum, The Netherlands
For Biab to Yamaha style conversion: http://www.1manband.nl/convert.htm

Jos

#220948 - 12/30/03 01:53 PM Re: Band in a Box: Worth upgrading to new 32 bit 2004 version?
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Scott. Yes I have the new BIAB2004 upgrade from v12c. I find it has a number of additions.
Import a midi file showing chords with just one button press F7.
You can morph all the built in styles taking any part Drums Bass Piano etc, mix and match from any style.
The main advantage of the program now being 32bit apart from improved graphics is its much quicker at building a solo or melody and faster at displaying notation.
You can now record vocal directly into your chord sequence and add vocal harmony using the TC-Helicon Audio Harmony.
Plus other additions including. 101 Riffs blues Piano. 101 Riff Jazz.

Graham UK.

#220949 - 12/30/03 08:06 PM Re: Band in a Box: Worth upgrading to new 32 bit 2004 version?
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Graham hit all the high points for BIAB 2004. I just upgraded from ver 11 so I'm gaining all the stuff from ver 12 and ver 2004 (2 upgrades). In one or the other they improved/enhanced all, or at least most of the older styles. That alone makes it worth while.

Between the 2 upgrades, there is a plethera of improvements and additions. With all the learning curves I have going now, it'll take awhile before I have full control of it, but if you use BIAB, even occasionally, I would strongly recommend the upgrade.

#220950 - 12/30/03 08:19 PM Re: Band in a Box: Worth upgrading to new 32 bit 2004 version?
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Ha! Now that I stated why I'm not upgrading to Sonar 3 - I'll admit that I did upgrade to BIAB 2004. It's noticebly faster. One thing I also got for BIAB that I LOVE is "101 Essential Jazz Riffs for Piano"... wish I had this resource long ago - it's a basically a collection of jazz riffs that can be played in any key, any tempo and the notation and the keyboard can be displayed at the same time. This has already given me some new soloing ideas.

I use BIAB for creating my lead sheets also. Sometimes I'll grab half-baked midi files from the web just to get the chording for a certain song, use BIAB to create a lead sheet and then play with various BIAB arrangements until I get a rough new sketch, then polish the final midi file in Sonar. Very useful.

#220951 - 12/30/03 10:41 PM Re: Band in a Box: Worth upgrading to new 32 bit 2004 version?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by The Pro:
I use BIAB for creating my lead sheets also.

I particularly like using BIAB for creating decent looking lead sheets 'on the fly' and in seconds flat. Just type in the chords and record the melody, and presto!

I just upgraded to BIAB 2004 specifically for its new leadsheet display of: repeats and 1st & 2nd endings, which will give BIAB lead sheet printouts a more polished, condensed professional appearance, like pro published leadsheets look like.

Scott

#220952 - 12/31/03 11:34 AM Re: Band in a Box: Worth upgrading to new 32 bit 2004 version?
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
I just received 2004 also.

Importing midi files for chord display is not new. My version 11 imported the chords form midis also. I wonder why they advertise this as a new feature? Anyone know the answer?

I've always used the soloist feature for improving my improvision. It always plays great licks on Bossas, Swing, Big Band, anything really. The notes played along with the overall feel and rythym of the solo has really help me.

For what I want to do, it is the most important feature of all. Anyone who wishes to improvise should not be without this program.

It has thousands of tunes in it. Get a tune you want to learn (many have the melody with the chords)and go to the notation window and the notes for the melody or any part you're interested in is displayed highlighted. Similar to a bouncing ball. If the tune is to fast, simply slow it down. Many great old jazz tunes that are great for horn players are in the program.

I really don't think jazz horn players are aware of this program. What a shame. Wish I had this option when I started playing.

It does sax solos that for the most part is what a sax man would play. It does the same with Guitar, Piano, Trombone and so forth.

As you can tell I recommend it highly just for this one feature.

For me it literally takes 2 minutes or less to type in the chords from a fake book and have a sequence to play along with to learn a tune or just for fun. Some of the harder tunes might take a few more minutes.

The upgrade I got was $59 from version 11. Many of the new and old features are geared for guitar players. I don't blame PGMusic. At my local music store there are a few pianos, a few arrangers amps and PAs. There are no horns of any kind and the wall at last count, I think the owner said he'd have between 800 and a 1000 guitars hanging soon.

Guess what is the most popular instrument in America. And if you can figure that out, see if you can figure out which is the most popular genre of music played in America.

I'll give you a hint. It's not jazz, rock and roll, hard rock, rap or anything else you can invent. It has always been and always will be the most popular genre of music. Live with it.

#220953 - 12/31/03 11:56 AM Re: Band in a Box: Worth upgrading to new 32 bit 2004 version?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
As I've always said, I do both kinds of music, Country and Western.
I don't quite follow you though Boo. If you say you want to improvise, doesn't that mean you make up your own stuff, not copy it from some computer program?
Wait'll Uncle Dave sees this.
DonM

#220954 - 01/01/04 12:43 PM Re: Band in a Box: Worth upgrading to new 32 bit 2004 version?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by brickboo:
Guess what is the most popular instrument in America. And see if you can figure out which is the most popular genre of music played in America.

Back up those statements Boo.
I'm curious as to your sources.

#220955 - 01/01/04 01:08 PM Re: Band in a Box: Worth upgrading to new 32 bit 2004 version?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I tried to watch Dick Clark on several occasions last night. Apparently the most popular music is Rap. If you insist on calling it music.
DonM

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online