SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#220668 - 10/14/04 03:21 PM Adding a hard drive
wizboy Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Hi all,

How do you add a hard drive to the Tyros ? Is it just those regular 3.5" hd or does it have to be laptop size 2.5" ?
Also what is the maximum capacity recognized on the Tyros ? Does it have to be preformatted ? I know that this question was addressed before but i guess i missed it.

Thanks
Claude

#220669 - 10/14/04 03:54 PM Re: Adding a hard drive
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Claude,

The Tyros will accept any generic 'off the shelf' laptop hard drive which meets the following criteria:

2.5 IDE
Height 12.7 mm max
40 GB max capacity

I myself installed an IBM TravelStar 20GB (4200 RPM) in my Tyros and its been working flawlessly ever since I initially installed it. Installation is a breeze (less than 10 minutes) with full instructions covered on page 162 of the Tyros Owners Manual.

I personally couldn't live w/o the hard drive. I have about 300 MB of files (custom styles, registrations, voices, & midi files) stored on my Tyros hard drive available for instant access. I STRONGLY recommend you keep the hard drive contents backed up (via USB) to your PC & on CD. I organize & manage the contents on my Tyros hard drive thru my PC via USB connection & Tyros HDD storage mode, which allows the Tyros HD to be navigated via Windows Explorer. Much easier to create folders, sub folders & move files from the PC for sure.

Scott

#220670 - 10/15/04 04:44 AM Re: Adding a hard drive
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
f.y.i. I don't think I've ever seen a recent 2.5" notebook hard drives that was thicker than 12.7mm.

Also, just in case you get collared by a salesman on commission, note that there are some new high-performance "Momentum" hard discs made by Seagate. I don't think the extra zip will make much difference when used in a keyboard , so save you money and get a "normal" 4200 rpm one.

#220671 - 10/15/04 05:22 AM Re: Adding a hard drive
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Since I work in the computer field I have access to a parts graveyard. I have installed 3 different 2.5 inch hard drives removed from laptop computers and the Tyros has not recognized any of them. I wonder if it was because they were already formatted with Windows on them?

Tom

Tom

#220672 - 10/15/04 07:05 AM Re: Adding a hard drive
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Cavanaugh:
I have installed 3 different 2.5 inch hard drives removed from laptop computers and the Tyros has not recognized any of them. I wonder if it was because they were already formatted with Windows on them?

Tom

Possibly, although the Tyros is a little picky (quirky is more like it) as not all Hard Drives will work (Brands, Models, etc.) It's a kind of Plug and 'Pray' type scenario if you ask me.

Btw, if the 3 laptop Hard Drives were properly "re-formatted" before installing them in the Tyros you would think at least one out of the three would work, Brand/Model/Size, etc. notwithstanding.

Best regards,
Mike

#220673 - 10/15/04 11:57 AM Re: Adding a hard drive
SD_FAN Offline

Loc: São Paulo, SP / Brazil
For Tyros HD compatibility see at:
http://www.yamahapkclub.com/tyros/info/hd.htm

I had installed an cheap 4.0GB Toshiba that work very well.

Cheers
Armando

[This message has been edited by SD_FAN (edited 10-15-2004).]

#220674 - 10/15/04 02:00 PM Re: Adding a hard drive
Dnj Offline

No Problem...its an easy procedure to install the HD ..
a screwdriver, & read the directions step by step!!

good luck

#220675 - 10/15/04 02:33 PM Re: Adding a hard drive
wizboy Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Thank you all for your responses. I'll probably go with the IBM TravelStar then since Scott has already experimented it and had his working.

Claude

#220676 - 10/16/04 06:28 AM Re: Adding a hard drive
juneau Offline

Loc: Red Wing, MN, USA
For any of you that use a Mac, I discovered that I can easily back up my Tyros 10 Gig HD to my Mac's external 250 Gig HD using the USB cable. I back up all my files to the HD attached to the Mac, including files from my PC, which I back up over my LAN.

#220677 - 10/17/04 08:50 AM Re: Adding a hard drive
Smurf Offline

Loc: Ohio
Hello Folks,
A little OT, I was reading thru the past posts and seen someone (Beakybird?) had used a device called the HDM. It was a solid state Flash Card device that you mounted in your board if you have a floppy drive, and it made the keyboard "see" a number of "floppy drives", thus saving you the pain of carrying a ton of floppys around. I found the site listed and checked it out. My question, is anyone still using this, or planning on ordering it? Just wondering.....sounds interesting. Smurf

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online