SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#219615 - 09/05/01 09:56 PM Ketron (Solton) SD1 : Does it have a thing like Panel Memory Registrations?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
AS you may all know, I currently play the Technics KN5000 which includes a thing called 'Panel Memories Registrations'. There are up to 10 banks of 8 'Panel Memories' available (total: 80 panel memory locations). Each 'panel memory' contains unique custom settings (auto-accomp pattern variation selection, tempo, key, sound patch selection, part volume levels, etc).

I use these Panel Memory registrations to store settings for each different PART of a given song, such as panel memory (PM) #1 for the first A section, PM#2 for the second A section, PM#3 for the bridge, PM #4 for the 3rd A section, PM #5 for the solo, etc... . I then use a foot controller pedal to incrementally move up Panel Memories as I proceed thru (playing) the song (AABA-solo-AABA).

My QUESTION: Does the Ketron (Solton) SD1 have something similar to Technic's Panel Memory registrations? HOW (on the SD1), do you set up unique customized registrations for each DIFFERENT part of a song? Can you use a foot controller pedal to trigger incrementally, customized registration changes for each section (AABA-solo-AABA) of the song?

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 09-05-2001).]

#219616 - 09/06/01 05:56 AM Re: Ketron (Solton) SD1 : Does it have a thing like Panel Memory Registrations?
Henry01 Offline

Loc: Dublin, California, USA
Scott,

Ketron SD1 has the same 'Registration' feature as in Technics KN5000. SD1 has 2 types of registrations (Block & Single). The on-board flash memory holds 1 block registration which has 198 memory locations. Each memory location holds the status of all buttons and internal parameters. Up to 999 block registrations can be stored in each folder in the internal hard drive. You can load any block registration file from disk to replace the block registration in flash memory. Single registrations are stored in hard drive or floppy disk. Up to 999 single registrations can be stored in each folder in the hard drive. Single registrations are loaded from disk each time it is used.

Henry

[This message has been edited by Henry01 (edited 09-06-2001).]

#219617 - 09/06/01 10:29 AM Re: Ketron (Solton) SD1 : Does it have a thing like Panel Memory Registrations?
Maged Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
Scott,
And, let me add on that (Despite I have an X1 not an SD1) all the registrations are footswitch assignable. You can assign [Registration UP] and [Registration DOWN] to 2 switches of the Ketron FS-6 or FS-13

#219618 - 09/06/01 11:19 AM Re: Ketron (Solton) SD1 : Does it have a thing like Panel Memory Registrations?
Scottyee Offline

Henry01 & Maged: Thanks for your explanations. Assuming that the X1 and Sd1 operate similarly, I do have a few more questions to ask in order to better understand the concept of 'block' and 'single' registrations:

Is a Sd1 'single' registration actually a subset file (one of the 198 memory locations) of a 'block' registration, or is it a separate file completely unrelated to the 'block' registration file?

I assume that a Sd1 'block' registration is equivilant to the Technics 'Panel Memory' registration ( capacity up to 80 single registrations) and that each SD1 'single' registration is equivilent to one of the 80 single registrations on the Technics, right?

I understand (from what Henry is saying), that Sd1 'single' registration files are stored in a separate hard drive folder location than where the 'block' registration files are stored. Can a 'single' registration be then imported into one of the 'block' registration's 198 memory locations and become part of a 'block' registration?

Technics KN keyboards have 8 separate 'panel memory' buttons (in a row) which allow you instant access to 8 'single' registrations. There is also a separate 'bank change' button which allows you to change banks (1-8) giving you quick access to all 80 'single' registrations. Does the SD1 have a setup similar to this? How are the 198 memory locations of the SD1's 'Block'registration accessed? Via a set of buttons like on the Technics KN keyboards or?

Maged: Glad to hear that registrations are assignable (up/down) via footswitch.
I assume that to perform a customized song, you would load a 'BLOCK' registration consisting of 'customized single' registration setups for different parts of a song (verse, chorus, bridge, etc), and then use the footswitch to trigger registration changes incrementaly, right?

Thanks again in advance.

#219619 - 09/06/01 12:06 PM Re: Ketron (Solton) SD1 : Does it have a thing like Panel Memory Registrations?
Maged Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
Scott,
To the best of my (limited) knowledge, there is no difference between the Single & Block registrations other than the location it’s stored in.
In Block Registration you’re limited to 198 locations, in single registrations the sky is the limit (Depending on how big your hard drive is).
To me, the benefit of having the single registration is the possibility of creating folders on your hard drive containing different music styles/songs. For instance, you can create a folder and call it Jazz, and then you can store 999 registrations in that folder. Using the same way you mentioned, suppose there is a song called “DREAM” you can call the first registration Dream “A” and store it in the Jazz folder, and then Dream “B” then Dream “SOLO” then Dream “C” an so on. Then you can switch between them using the footswitch.
And, to answer your other question, you usually select between the “Single” and “Block” mode from the Utilities menu. That way, when the “Single” mode is active, the footswitch toggles between single registrations, and when the “Block” mode is active, the footswitch toggles between Block registrations.
I also think that single registrations are accessed directly from the disk and there is no need to load them in the block registration memory, so you don’t really have to erase a block registration to load a single registration.

I hope this helps…

Maged

#219620 - 09/06/01 12:14 PM Re: Ketron (Solton) SD1 : Does it have a thing like Panel Memory Registrations?
Dnj Offline

Hi,
With my PSR9000 when I change registration on the fly in mid song (for a medley lets say) the transition is smooth and silent and unnoticiable very important in a live peformance. Is it the same on the SD1 when doing the above? This was the cause of my freeze ups on the X1 and I was wondering if a new OS fixed this on the X1/SD1? Also I don't
remember if the X1/SD1 units display more then one registration titles on screen at once to pick from like the KN series with 8 and the Psr9k/9pro with 10?

donny nj

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 09-06-2001).]

#219621 - 09/06/01 02:00 PM Re: Ketron (Solton) SD1 : Does it have a thing like Panel Memory Registrations?
Henry01 Offline

Scott,

You are correct that a Sd1 'block' registration is equivilant to the Technics 'Panel Memory' registration (80 in KN5000 & 198 in SD1) and that each SD1 'single' registration is equivilent to one of the 80 single registrations on the Technics.

You can call up any registration in the block registration memory by pressing the Block Registration button, and then followed by 1 to 3 numeric digits (1-999).

Single & block registration files can be stored in any folder and can be in the same folder on the hard drive.

To perform a customized song, you would load a 'BLOCK' registration consisting of 'customized single' registration setups for different parts of a song (verse, chorus, bridge, etc), and then use the footswitch to trigger registration changes incrementaly.

A single registration can also call up a .TXT file (lyric), a .MID file and a style file having the same name as the registration file.

Henry

#219622 - 09/06/01 02:55 PM Re: Ketron (Solton) SD1 : Does it have a thing like Panel Memory Registrations?
Henry01 Offline

Dnj,

I have not had any problem switching registration on both the X1 and SD1 during song play or arranger play. In fact, I just tried it repeatedly on my SD1 for about 10 minutes with no problem. It switched everything as expected without any noise or unwanted effect. May be Maged could try it on his X1 to verify this.

When using single registration, the screen displays 10 titles at a time. With block registration, I just use a number between 1 and 198. The screen does not display any title until a memory location is selected.

Henry

#219623 - 09/06/01 03:19 PM Re: Ketron (Solton) SD1 : Does it have a thing like Panel Memory Registrations?
Scottyee Offline

Henry: I can assume (from what you are saying) that you can import stored 'single' registrations setups into one of the 198 memory slots of a 'block' registration. Can you do the REVERSE as well? That is: Export a registration located in one of the 'Block' registration's 198 memory slots and save it as a 'single' registration?

Henry: Glad to hear that (on the SD1), that you don't hear any 'timing' or 'noise' glitches whatsoever, when you switch 'styles variations' or even to 'another style altogether'. This is critical when you want to perform a song medley transitioning from one style to another.

Henry, I assume from what you are saying that selecting Registrations 1 thru 9 would only require you pressing the 'Block' registration button and then enter a single digit only: 1... not 001, and selecting registration numbers 10 thru 99 require entering two digits: 10..., not 010.

The Ketron (Solton) 'registration selection' concept (though different than Technics/Yamaha approach) sounds GREAT and appears to minimize the number of physical buttons on the keyboard. I also like the idea of the screen being able to display 10 'registration titles' at a time. The Technics KN5000 does NOT do this. Do you still need to press the 'Block' button and enter the registration number (1-198) to access these 10 titles or is there a button shortcut available when these 10 titles appear on the screen?

Thanks again to Henry, Maged, and Donny for your continued interest and support.

#219624 - 09/06/01 03:41 PM Re: Ketron (Solton) SD1 : Does it have a thing like Panel Memory Registrations?
Henry01 Offline

Scott,

Yes you can stored 'single' registrations setups into one of the 198 memory slots of a 'block' registration. And also export a registration located in one of the 'Block' registration's 198 memory slots and save it as a 'single' registration easily.

Once you pressed Block Registration once, the button LED stays lit and you can switch from one reg. to another reg. by just pressing 1 to 3 numbers. Press 4 for #4, not 004. Press 26, not 026...

When 10 titles are displayed on screen, you scroll to the title you want and then press 'LOAD'. I prefer using numbers, it's much faster.

Henry

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online