SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#219171 - 05/21/02 01:36 AM Tip: Adjusting the velocity curve on the PSR's
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I'm not sure if anyone has notice this little trick yet, but there is a way to adjust the velocity curve on several voices on your PSR's.. I'm not sure if this will work on the PSR-1000 and 2000, but it will work on the PSR-540, 550, 640, and 740. It's quite simple... All you have to do is adjust the touch response.. The lower the setting the more pressure it takes to activate the velocity curve, and the higher the setting the easier it is to trigger the velocity curve.. Just thought I'd throw this little tip up on the board.. Several people have emailed me asking what velocity curving is so I'll explain really quick.. Velocity curving is sound layering taken a step further. It's a voice that has 2 sides to the sound. When you apply regular pressure to the keys you get the standard voice, but if you strike the key harder the sound changes.. Velocity curving can be heard in voices such as the Electric Pianos, Bass guitars, Electric guitars and a few others.. Hope this helps clear it up for those asking.. You won't find velocity curve adjustment in the manuals. This is a little trick I found fooling around with my PSR....

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#219172 - 05/21/02 10:24 AM Re: Tip: Adjusting the velocity curve on the PSR's
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Squeak.....Yes the Nylon Guitar & Sweet Flute are an ideal example of your tip. In most cases the manual tells you about what buttons do, but does little telling you how to do things on my 9000PRO.

One of the Yamaha demonstrators gave me tip about adjusting the panel voices. For demonstration purposes they set Right hand voices on setting 20 - 45 DSP Hall 3 for most voices. Reverb is set to zero when using DSP as it will clash with the effects provided by the DSP. I have experimented with this and in most cases there is an improvement.

Graham UK

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online