SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#143202 - 05/14/02 08:59 AM To those of you who sing out there
Mosiqaar Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA
I am new into the lead singing world so I need some tips if there are any.

My nose gets stuffed and dry after singing for a while. Is there anything to keep it open for better breathing and more open voice? Or does that mean I should stop singing ? lol

Any other tips? Thanks.

#143203 - 05/14/02 10:27 AM Re: To those of you who sing out there
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Once it gets stopped up, just do Willie Nelson songs the rest of the night!
Seriously, this happens to me when the place I'm working has a lot of smoke. Makes me want to move to California where they don't allow it. Sorry I don't have a "real" answer.
Don

#143204 - 05/14/02 10:39 AM Re: To those of you who sing out there
George Pchakjian Offline

Loc: Irvine Ca, USA
The name is "nasal Decongestant" spray into the nose and inhale as deep as you can from your nose. I hope that helps.

Dr. "G" signing out. .

JerjyBeck

#143205 - 05/14/02 11:31 AM Re: To those of you who sing out there
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Those nasal sprays more often than not, aggravate my throat. If it's a choice between breathing or singing ..... you make the call. Sudafed works pretty good with minimal down sides.
Stay away from the "Cloraceptic" type sprays that numb your throat too - it's like shooting an ingured knee with cortozone and then playing aggressive sports. No pain .... NO warning of ingury ! (very bad)
The best thing any of us can do for the pipes is keep your throat lubricated with NON alcohohlic, and NON caffinated beverages.
(Try WATER - it's pretty good)
That seems to be a tough concept for many musicians, but I know lots of people that NEVER drink at work. Imagine that? Showing up at work and NOT pouring a drink right away. Hmmmmmm? How do they get along?
Stay away from booze, smoke, loud talking and don't push your limits if you don't feel well.

[This message has been edited by Uncle Dave (edited 05-14-2002).]

#143206 - 05/14/02 11:46 AM Re: To those of you who sing out there
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Right on Dave. I never drink when I work. Since I work just about every night, I seldom drink at all. I have used Cranberry Juice or Orange Juice over the years, but lately, just water. It is low in calories too.
I instruct the bartender, if somebody insists on buying me a drink, to not put liquor in it. It's hard enough to do what we do when we're sober. I have good friends who are musicians who feel like the liquor loosens them up and makes them better. In most cases it just makes them THINK they are better.
DonM

#143207 - 05/14/02 11:50 AM Re: To those of you who sing out there
Anonymous
Unregistered

One of the singers I work with has a similar problem, and she uses a product available at Walgreens. Its called Wal-tussin, $2.99 for 12 softgels. It is non-drowsy. It seems to help her for about 3-4 hours.
Eddie

#143208 - 05/14/02 12:09 PM Re: To those of you who sing out there
Mosiqaar Offline

Thank you all this is good stuff...so far I have only been using those little Listerine things you put in ur mouth for fresh breath, they actually open up those pipes very good but only for about 10 minutes.

UD as far as not drinking at work, I really have to work very hard to not do so. I perform only on weekends and those are actually my "nights out" so I dont want to not have fun lol. I do not over do it though.

DonM, actually certain drinks do loosen your throught up from what I hear from singers, but the ones they mentioned are koniac and Whisky. If I do that, I would only go for one drink the whole night, other wise like you said I wold only think I sound better.

Thanks guys, keep the hints coming, I am really benefitting from this.

#143209 - 05/14/02 12:40 PM Re: To those of you who sing out there
Nobby Offline

Loc: Palmyra Mo. U.S.A.
I have lung problems! The only thing my Doctor will let me use is a product called
"Ocean!" Most all of the other over the counter products are habit forming, will only work for a short time, then your body becomes used to them & they won't work anymore! Also they do more harm than good to your body! Believe Me!!
Dr. Nobby

------------------

#143210 - 05/14/02 01:08 PM Re: To those of you who sing out there
Mosiqaar Offline

where do you get this product "ocean" Nobby? Do I have to have subscription?

#143211 - 05/14/02 01:11 PM Re: To those of you who sing out there
Anonymous
Unregistered

How long does your voice need to recover from a flu (that normally affects throat also)? I caught a flu this weekend and will have to sing next weekend. Will I make it 'till then? Any "secrets" to achieve a normal voice?

-- José.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online