SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#217858 - 09/02/05 09:06 PM Tyros 2 Product USA Product Release News
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Today I received my official announcement of the release of the new Yamaha Tyros2. Availability will begin October 2005. MSRP will be $4095.00 with the optional TRS-MS202 speakers continuing at $299.00 and the optional L7S stand at $249.00. MAP price for the Tyros2 is $3495.00.
Here is the exact information I received from Yamaha in a email sent directly to me from the Marketing Manager of Portable keyboards:
"Bursting with innovative new features, TYROS2 is a true musical powerhouse. Revolutionary Super Articulation Technology delivers the best and most expressive voices we've ever put into a keyboard. 400 dynamic accompaniment styles meticulously recreate every nuance of the world's most popular musical genres. With the brand new Hard Disk Recorder, you can record what you play and what you sing, including vocal harmony, to an optionally installed hard disk drive.

Super Articulation Technology -40 playable Mega voices

Audio Rendering: optional hard drive recording at CD Quality

Newly-designed high quality keyboard action

Up to 1GB Custom Voice sample/playback (Wave, AIFF)

Internet Direct connect: connect directly to Internet Content

RGB/Video out: connect to a computer monitor or display device

USB "To Device" Storage devices and USB "to host", 32 midi channels

Text file viewer for lyrics, song or Registration information

More Mega Voices and Super Articulation equals even more realistic styles.

There is a picture of the Tyros in black and white and it looks the same as the current Tyros. 61 keys, same display and attachable speakers and music rack.
This letter is dated September 4, 2005. This is everything I know as of now!

George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#217859 - 09/02/05 10:57 PM Re: Tyros 2 Product USA Product Release News
eddiefromrotherham Offline

Loc: Rotherham,England.
Quote:
Originally posted by George Kaye:
With the brand new Hard Disk Recorder, you can record what you play and what you sing, including vocal harmony, to an optionally installed hard disk drive.

Thanks for the info George.
I particularly like the sound of the features above which I have extracted from your report.
cheers
Eddie

------------------
Eddie from Rotherham
www.yamahakeyboards.info

#217860 - 09/03/05 03:10 AM Re: Tyros 2 Product USA Product Release News
to the genesys Offline

"Up to 1GB Custom Voice sample/playback (Wave, AIFF)"

Wow!! that would make the Tyros II an endless sound resource.

#217861 - 09/03/05 06:29 AM Re: Tyros 2 Product USA Product Release News
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
Thanks George,

So no cutoff corners??, still with a place for the coffee cup??

#217862 - 09/03/05 08:16 AM Re: Tyros 2 Product USA Product Release News
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Thanks George. Not for me though--they still use the same, damned lousy LCD display that's not sunlight-viewable. For that kind of MSP you would think they would have at least improved the keyboard's LCD to 20th century technology. I sent Yamaha a letter about this more than a year ago, sent another follow-up letter, and after about 6 months recieved a form type of reply that essentially said "We have received your letter. Thank you for your interest in Yamaha products." BIG DEAL! I tore up the letter and tossed it in the trash where it belonged.

I'm still searching for a reasonably priced sunlight viewable display to replace the one in my PSR-3000. When I find one and get it installed, I'll post the information here.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#217863 - 09/03/05 09:58 AM Re: Tyros 2 Product USA Product Release News
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Probably not for me either Gary, but perhaps it'll be a wait and see for me, much like the PA1x deal. There may be a few new features that would make me want this more than a Tyros "classic", or a 3000 but it's also a little steep for me for an arranger, for as much use as I'll get out of it.

I do like the USB to midi, works great with the Motif ES, but it certainly isn't a must for me on a board that won't see much studio use. New and more realistic styles sounds nice, I guess we can judge that later. Better key action sounds good, I'm guessing maybe like the Motif series boards.

I couldn't care less about the internet connection or sampling, pretty much a waste of money for me on an arranger. I rarely use the sampling facilities in the Motif, as I much prefer a dedicated sampler. I don't care much about the video facilities, might be nice for some of you guys though. I can already play the megavoices on the Motif, but I also have vst apps that work better for playing similar multisampled parts, Real Guitar for example. I'd probably never use the CD / Audio option, though some live players might like it for capture of a performance.

AJ

#217864 - 09/03/05 10:51 AM Re: Tyros 2 Product USA Product Release News
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
You mean there are NO angled edges?

If George is saying it looks 'just' like the Tyros I assume it won't have any angled edges?? Right or wrong?

Boy would I like to see a pic right about now. Any way you can scan that B&W and post it on the Forum George? If you want you can send me the email and I will print and then scan it.

Or if you could just tell us if it has the angled edges or not would be sufficient.

Okay, my impressions so far. No 76 keys... What a bummer!! 40 PLAYABLE Mega Voices!! Finally!! That's a BIG +(plus) in my book. Thank you Yamaha! Up to 1 Gig of Samples. Wow!! That's a Big bonus! I wonder what the load time is for 1 Gigabyte though?? If it is similar to the Motif ES' load time you're in for a loonnnggggggg wait. Hopefully it is much faster than the Motif ES' load time. I know that's a technicality but it's an important one, especially if you you're gigging with it or even in the studio and want to load large samples.

A better keybed. That's good news if it comes close to the Korg Pa1X or Roland G70. Maybe it will surpass both of them who knows?

I doubt if it will have wider keys though which is a disappointment for those wanting wider keys like the Pa1X and G70 have.

I am sorry to inform Yamaha that I will NOT be getting the Tyros2. Due to limitations beyond my control i.e. there is not a 76 key version available, no improvement to the LCD technology as Gary stated, plus the fact it costs about $1,000 more than my current Tyros and I wouldn't be getting 76 keys anyway. So, I will pass unfortunately.

Now OTOH if Yammie did make a 76 key version I would most definitely have SERIOUSLY considered getting one, and if everything else was what I expected I would have DEFINITELY gotten one! No if's and's or but's!! And Yammie would have been roughly $2,000 dollars richer as a result from the profit margin.

Now you multiply that by another 5 to 10 thousand (world wide) who also would have purchased it because of a 76 key version and you can see the vast amount of 'extra' loot they could have taken in. I guess they don't need the extra cash??

Oh well, hopefully the Tyros2 will be a hit nonetheless. Being able to play the Mega Voices in a Live setting is a huge bonus. Plus the Sampler, plus the Hard Disk recording, plus the better Keybed.

Now if they only had made a 76 key version.... I am dumbfounded as to why they didn't seeing Korg and Roland already anted up with the Pa1XPRO and G70. A majority of Yammie employee's may be thinking the same thing, along with the rest of us. Don't they want to stay competitive with the rest of the market place? Maybe not...

Best regards,
Mike

#217865 - 09/03/05 11:40 AM Re: Tyros 2 Product USA Product Release News
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I can't stress enough that unless Yamaha has made huge strides, the megavoices really aren't anything special when you play them, not when you measure them against apps like Real Guitar or BFD drums. I can't agree more about the sampling either Mike. Nice feature to have, pretty much useless on the Motif, hopefully better for the future Tyros owners. Doing it in a dedicated sampler, even a software one, is so much easier, quicker and more intuitive.

My laptop always accompanies me now when I play out, so it really isn't very hard for me at all to turn the lead voices down on my Motif or PA80 and load up Real guitar or even the Plugsound Fretted module and get a better and more realistic guitar sound than is available on either of my kbs.

Certainly to me, the megavoices and sampling capabilities aren't a good reason to drop an extra grand on a kb. Now if these and the other features are worth it to someone, I can definitely see that.. Maybe the combo of having new styles, maybe the USB connectivity, the video thing, the text file capabilities.. etc. As I said,I don't see it for me personally, but everyone has different needs.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 09-03-2005).]

#217866 - 09/03/05 12:23 PM Re: Tyros 2 Product USA Product Release News
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
There is a picture of the Tyros in black and white and it looks the SAME as the current Tyros.

Quote:
Originally posted by PraiseTheLord:
So no cutoff corners??, still with a place for the coffee cup??

Though I didn't see the b&w flyer pic George received, my confidential (yet reliably verifiable) source has ASSURED ME that Tyros2 DOES INCLUDE the 'cut-off' corners, and looks just as shown in the Tyros2 photo below. I believe the pic in the flyer doesn't include the actual pic of the new Tyros2, because Yamaha wants to keep it under wraps until its officially premiered publicly at the 'European Dealer' TYROS2 PRESENTATION this coming week. Impressive online Tyros2 'audio demos' should quickly follow.

As far as the price of Tyros2 goes. I was assured that Tyros2 will be going for nearly the SAME price as Tyros1, even with all the new Tyros2 features & enhancements. Considering the Yamaha MSRP & MAP prices cited by George, we'll have to wait to see what the actual Tyros2 'street price' ends up being.

Ok folks. Stay tuned. - Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 09-03-2005).]

#217867 - 09/03/05 02:18 PM Re: Tyros 2 Product USA Product Release News
Ensnareyou Offline

Loc: California
It sounds like the Tyros 2 doesn't have multitrack hard disk recording otherwise Yamaha would certainly have used that feature to promote sales since it would be a very beneficial new addition. What does "Audio Rendering" really mean? My guess is that the HDR will be a very rudimentary 2 or 4 track recorder that only allows you to record basic audio probably with no editing either. We will soon see and hear when Tyros 2 is released to the public.

I also didn't read anywhere in the press release that it said the Tyros 2 has "Sampling", just the ability to play back WAV and AIFF files. That means its sample editing features will be minimal at best. Probably very similar to the sampler the 9000 Pro had but with more RAM storage for samples which was pretty useless if you ask me.

The RGB/Video output will be nice feature if the Tyros supports at least 1024 x 780 resolution or higher. 1600 x 1200 would be even better!

As for the "Super Articulation Technology" and "Mega Voices" ... they are nothing more than multi-sampled, multi-velocity samples that any good sampler can create. Its nothing new and it always makes me laugh when a manufacturer creates a fancy new name and acts as if they are releasing something groundbreaking. I'm sure the new multisampled "MEGA" sounds will be great compared to cheaper arrangers like the PSR3000 but they still won't be on par with the best samplers or arranger/workstations currently on the market.

Hopefully Yamaha will support the Tyros 2 and actually improve it over time, not drop it like they did with the 9000 Pro. With Yamaha's track record of poor software support I wouldn't count on it though. I myself will likely never own another Yamaha product again after getting the run-around on support for my 9000 Pro.

Quote:
Today I received my official announcement of the release of the new Yamaha Tyros2. Availability will begin October 2005. MSRP will be $4095.00 with the optional TRS-MS202 speakers continuing at $299.00 and the optional L7S stand at $249.00. MAP price for the Tyros2 is $3495.00.
Here is the exact information I received from Yamaha in a email sent directly to me from the Marketing Manager of Portable keyboards:
"Bursting with innovative new features, TYROS2 is a true musical powerhouse. Revolutionary Super Articulation Technology delivers the best and most expressive voices we've ever put into a keyboard. 400 dynamic accompaniment styles meticulously recreate every nuance of the world's most popular musical genres. With the brand new Hard Disk Recorder, you can record what you play and what you sing, including vocal harmony, to an optionally installed hard disk drive.

Super Articulation Technology -40 playable Mega voices

Newly-designed high quality keyboard action

Up to 1GB Custom Voice sample/playback (Wave, AIFF)

Internet Direct connect: connect directly to Internet Content

RGB/Video out: connect to a computer monitor or display device

More Mega Voices and Super Articulation equals even more realistic styles.

There is a picture of the Tyros in black and white and it looks the same as the current Tyros. 61 keys, same display and attachable speakers and music rack.
This letter is dated September 4, 2005. This is everything I know as of now!

George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online