SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#217144 - 04/12/05 12:02 PM Promega 2 vs. PC1X
Wazza Offline

Loc: Sonnega, Friesland, The Nether...
Hi,

I've been taking piano lessons for the past few months, right now I'm still playing on my 61-key Korg PA-60, which isnt really ideal for playing piano.
So, I've been thinking of getting a digital (stage) piano.
I've been looking around the web checking the different brands and models, and I've decided to either go for the GEM Promega 2 or Kurzweil PC1X.
Personally I think the Promega has the best piano sounds, but the Kurzweil offers more sounds and features (which are important, if I ever decide to play in a band).
I have played the Promega 3 a few years ago, back then I didn't like it that much, but I used really lousy headphones, So I can't really judge it with such bad headphones.
The online demos sound pretty good, however, it seems to me it sounds a little weak in the upper key ranges, but those are only online demos.
I'll probably visit a store in the near future to check the Promega out (This time with some decent headphones).
The problem is, I can't really compare it to the Kurzweil since no store in my area sells them.
If I decide to go for the Kurzweil, I'll have to rely on audio demos and order it from Germany (fortunately they offer a 14 day trial period, If you dont like it, you can send it back).
My question is: has anyone compared the Promega's to the Kurzweils?, or do you own one (user experiences etc.)?
And how does it compare to the Fantom X's piano? (I own the Fantom XR)
If you were in my position, which would you pick?
Any feedback appreciated.
Thanks in advance,

Greetz ,
Marcel

#217145 - 04/12/05 12:12 PM Re: Promega 2 vs. PC1X
lukitoh Offline

Loc: Hayward, CA, USA
Have you tried Yamaha P series ?

It has 88 graded hammer action and I thought it was the best I have heard. It should be easily found in music stores. Many pros think it's the best out there.

#217146 - 04/12/05 03:25 PM Re: Promega 2 vs. PC1X
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Marcel,
the contenders for the title of best digital piano at the moment are:
- Gem Promega 3
- Roland RD 700 SX
- Yamaha P 250
(in alphabetical order!)

The Kurzweil is still an excellent choice, but right now seems one step behind the others.
My advice: try and play the first three (it shouldn't be a problem where you live) and then make up your mind.

[This message has been edited by Dreamer (edited 04-12-2005).]

#217147 - 04/13/05 04:49 AM Re: Promega 2 vs. PC1X
Wazza Offline

Han & Andrea, Thanks for your reply's .

Han:

I've looked at the P-series as well, they sound pretty good too, but I prefer the Promega, probably because the Yamaha P-series use a Yamaha Grand Piano sample (Yamaha CFIIIS, as far as I know), and the Promega uses a Steinway and a Fazioli sample (I generally prefer Steinway grands over Yamaha's).
But I will try these as well when I get the chance.

Andrea:

As I mentioned to Han, I prefer the Promega's Steinway piano over the P250's Yamaha sample. I already own a Fantom XR, and the RD700SX has got the same pianos, at least one of them (The Ultimate Grand, I can always add the SRX-11 piano later).
What makes the Kurzweil so interesting, is its price, which is around 1200 euros when I order it from Germany, and it also has got some great non-piano sounds, and master controller features, but the Promega 2 piano sounds much bettter.

Tough decision . LOL.

Greetz ,
Marcel

[This message has been edited by Wazza (edited 04-13-2005).]

#217148 - 04/13/05 11:59 AM Re: Promega 2 vs. PC1X
silva Offline

Loc: Lisbon, Portugal
Hi Wazza,
Have you tried Clavia Nord Electro 2? http://www.clavia.se/nordelectro/index.htm

#217149 - 04/13/05 12:13 PM Re: Promega 2 vs. PC1X
PaulD Offline

Loc: Eugene, OR
Check out this website. http://www.generalmusic.us/promega3.htm

Click on the video about DRAKE technology. I think you will find this most interesting. Then Compare.

------------------
Paul Davis
Generalmusic
Generalmusic.US

#217150 - 04/13/05 12:51 PM Re: Promega 2 vs. PC1X
Wazza Offline

Hi,

Thanks for replying,

Silva,

Thanks for the link, I've looked at it, but I wasn't impressed by the acoustic grand pianos, but the organs and ep's sound nice though.
Another interesting product by Clavia coming out soon is the Clavia Nord Stage, From what I could hear, it has a really nice piano, maybe I should wait for that one .

Video: http://trio.harmony-central.com/ramgen/Musikmesse05/Clavia-Nord-Stage.rm

MP3: http://messe.harmony-central.com/Musikmesse05/Content/MP3/Clavia-Nord-Stage.mp3

Paul,
Thanks for the info, I've watched the video, these features are impressive, but what I did notice though, was that the release sound is clearly noticeable on the Acoustic, I could hardly hear it on the Promega, But I'll have to play it myself to really listen at it more closely.
BTW, do the RP700 & RP800 include the exact same piano samples as the Promega's?
I almost forgot, how big are these piano samples on the Promega's (The Steinway and the Fazioli)?

Thanks ,
Marcel

#217151 - 04/13/05 01:57 PM Re: Promega 2 vs. PC1X
silva Offline

Hi Wazza,

Thanks for replying. What your opinion about RD700SX?

#217152 - 04/13/05 02:15 PM Re: Promega 2 vs. PC1X
Wazza Offline

Hi Silva,

The RD700SX seems to be a really good piano, I haven't played it though, but I do own a Fantom XR which has got one of two main pianos included on the RD700SX (The Ultimate Grand sample).
I think this sample is one of the best I've heard, I prefer it over the Yamaha's (Motif ES & P-series),I can't really comment on the Superior Grand sample as I haven't played it, but the online demos sure sound good, I might have considered the RD700SX if I haven't had my Fantom XR.
Also, the RD700SX costs a few hundred euros more than the Promega 2(2000 vs. 1695).
The advantage of the RD700SX is that it includes a lot more sounds than most stage pianos, would be really useful if you need more than just piano sounds.

Greetz ,
Marcel

#217153 - 04/13/05 02:48 PM Re: Promega 2 vs. PC1X
silva Offline

Hi Wazza
At moment I have Korg PA1X (61 Keys) and also I've been taking piano lessons for the past few months. So I need a stage piano too. I have to decide between RD700SX, Clavia Nord Electro 2 or P250.
Regards
Franky

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online