SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#212463 - 08/12/05 12:00 PM Speakers
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
I played my tropical party the other night. As far as the songs go it went well. I used my Yamaha stereo powered mixer and two Traynor cabinets. Each cabinet had a 10 inch speaker and a horn tweeter. No matter what I did I could not get the clarity and good sound that I get from my Logitech Z2200s. It was a small party, volume and bass were not a problem. I thought the piano sound was poor. I also thought the styles sounded muddy. No matter what EQ I used I could not get the sound to sound as good as it does through the Logitechs. Is it possible that I never will get this setup to sound as good? Any suggestions?

Tom

Tom

#212464 - 08/12/05 12:35 PM Re: Speakers
doc-z Offline

Loc: Norway
10" inch speakers tend to have a bit "muddy" or "hard" sound to them. 8" or 12" tend to have a clearer sound.
IMHO

Doc-Z

#212465 - 08/12/05 04:42 PM Re: Speakers
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Tom,

After using the Logitech systems and the Bose PAS, most conventional speaker systems will sound muddy. I've owned and used a huge number of sound systems over these many decades, many of which have really been rated high and very expensive. To date, none, absolutely none, have compared to the Bose PAS and the Logitech Z-5500 systems. Within the next few weeks I'm going to pick up a Logitech Z-5300 system to use for small nursing home jobs. When I get it set up I'll provide an objective report on my findings. If it works as well as I believe it will, I will modify the package for quick setups and teardowns and post photos. All I need now is a few extra hours a week.

Stick wit the Logitechs--you can't go wrong!

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#212466 - 08/12/05 06:14 PM Re: Speakers
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
I'm sure the new Bose sounds great although I have not yet heard them.

As far as 10" speakers, I prefer them. When my wife, who also plays, and I did a major test of speakers a few years ago, we found that everything sounded better through 10" speakers. And the bigger you went, more disturbing sounds were introduced. Mind you, we both were working with Lowrey organs at the time selling for as much as $73,000, so we did have a quite an excellent reference for sound possibilities that I think most never have that opportunity.

Also, interestingly enough, I was talking to Tony Barbetta one day and he reaffirmed what we had discovered in testing speakers and that is that keyboards sound better through 10" speakers. Since the new Bose has come out, this may be a different case.

I'm glad you guys and gals like your Logitech's but I just can't get with them. Again, this may because I am using very expensive home organs for a reference point where I think most other people base it on what they have heard on other PA's. This is the only explanation that makes any sense to me on this issue.

BEst
Scott

#212467 - 08/12/05 09:31 PM Re: Speakers
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Hey, Gary... why the 5300 since you already have the 5500 in your arsonal? Just curious

Glenn

#212468 - 08/13/05 06:37 AM Re: Speakers
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Glenn,

Primarily, the 5300 is a bit lighter by a few pounds, but the main reason is I want to create a complete, one container package for small to mid-size nursing home jobs where I can just plug the keyboard into the back of the system, plug the mic into the keyboard and go to work in a matter of five minutes maximum setup time.

I'm discovering that as I get older things seem to be getting heavier. The Z-5500 is a great system for larger venues where I have audiences up to 125 people, but when I'm doing a small nursing home with 25 to 30 people in a very small room, the 5500 is not necessary. The same is true when I playing a small, private party in someone's living room or family room.

So, the bottom line is I'm taking on another project (Yeah! I really need another project like a hole in the head. ) And, if my loving wife doesn't kill me, I hope to get started on it in the very near future. If, however, the 5300 doesn't cut it, I'll modify the 5500 to do the same job.

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#212469 - 08/18/05 01:50 AM Re: Speakers
doc-z Offline

For PA systems, I personally prefer 12" with horns instead of tweeters, over anything else. They give a warm, balanced sound, good midrange, and adequate bass.

10" I think have to much mids, and tweeters doesn't have as good high range as horns.

But the best sounding speakers for PA systems I think is either 12" or 18" hornsubs. Even though they are subs, they do both bass and mid, so with a couple of 12" tops and using dual MONO brigded amps that are powerful enough to drive them, you're all set for great sound!

Doc-Z

#212470 - 08/18/05 02:10 AM Re: Speakers
doc-z Offline

Just a couple of questions..

Reading some of the replies, you guys use Logitec speakers? for live gigs??

5.1 home stereo/computer speakers?

Do theese have the power to put sound out to a big audience of 100++ people?

How do theese compare to real PA speakers?
Like a normal small PA system with 12" cabinets using a PA amplifier of 250W RMS pr. Channel?
I would imagine the sound of the PC speakers will thin out in a crowd, not having much bearing? Or am I wrong?

Doc-Z

#212471 - 08/18/05 03:38 AM Re: Speakers
royandreno Offline

Loc: Sandnes, Norway
Doc-z
You are right. When you are competing with noise in a pub or a large crowd, of course you cannot use the Logitechs. As for 10" speakers, one of the top notch systems, d&b of Germany has to 10's in a pair of tops I heard here in Norway, and it was the best portable system I have ever heard. You cannot generally speak size and quality, too many other factors, driver size, type of driver, material etc.

#212472 - 08/18/05 05:08 AM Re: Speakers
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
the main reason is I want to create a complete, one container package

Gary:
Can't wait to see what you come up for a one package design for the 5300s. I used your design for my 5300s and it works great. Now, could you hurry that project up, eh? LOL

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online