SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#212473 - 08/18/05 05:31 AM Re: Speakers
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Doc-z,

There has been much discussion about using the Logictech speakers. I use them at home for practice and out for small jobs such as nursing homes and small private parties at country clubs and restuarants. I use the Z2200s and they are perfect (IMHO) for groups of 0 to 60. There have been a couple of disenters to this opinion but I would say there are 10 satisfied users for every one dissatisfied. You can check prior posts for opinions. I believe this system is 270 watts RMS.

Gary Diamond and a few others use the Z5500s which are 5.1. I haven't heard of any dissatisfied users of the Z5500. I've heard of professionals using them for crowds of up to 150 with excellent results. I believe this setup is 550 watts RMS.

I never would have believed it either but I heard them being used first hand with my own ears at the San Jose Synthjam in May of 2004. We were in an activities building at a mobile home park. They easily filled the whole room.

My Tyros does not have speakers. These two systems (the 2200s and 5500s) seem to be much better than the Yamaha Tyros speakers. These systems have more than enough bass and the drums and vocals really are clear and crisp. A couple of people on the forum felt that these systems lack mid range. Check out prior posts.

Setup is a breeze and with the the 2200s I can carry the whole system in a large gym bag.

I hope this helps.

Tom

Tom

#212474 - 08/18/05 07:17 AM Re: Speakers
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Doc-z,

Before you make any ill informed assumptions about the Logictech 2200s and the 5500s I would search the many prior posts on the subject.

Tom

Tom

#212475 - 08/18/05 08:24 AM Re: Speakers
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
When I played pro guitar 12" speakers in my fnder amp were great. I listened to 2 fender guitar amps, one with 2 ten inch speakers and another with 4 ten inch speakers. They were different than my 12's -- I liked what I heard.

Just recently a friend and I listen to 2 different keyboards -- our opinions were very different about the same keyboards --OK, we all hear different, I accept.

For me, my JBL powered 10's give me one great sound. Add a sub for bigger jobs and it becomes fantastic. When I put the speakers on stands I hear things from my keyboard, both KN7 and the Tyros I normally do not hear. As for the sound of my voice, it gets stronger, clearer and out in front.

I am very interested in the Z5500, wow, so many great reports.
IMHO, John C.

#212476 - 08/19/05 01:58 AM Re: Speakers
doc-z Offline

Loc: Norway
I'm not assuming anything, I was suprised that such speakers were used for gigs. I thought maybe I could use em in my setup and was eager hear thoughts on the subject...

Royandreno, yes you are right, it differs from speaker to speaker. But for my taste, I feel 10" are general to "harsh" sounding. I prefer 8", 12" and 18" to them, this is offcourse generally speaking and entirely my own opinion. I have a couple of Carlsbro 12" I like the sound, but I hate the sound in my Peavey 15", they sound muddy. I've gigged with heaps of different setups, ranging from Fender Passport P-150 and Voice Sysmtes Combo (8") to HK Hornsubs with dual 18" drivers. All rigs have different qualities, and different places for use. I wouldn't use 4 HK subs in a small pub, nor would I use a P-150 at a concert.

When you people are using theese logitechs, are you playing "background music" or are you the main attraction, trying to comunicate with an audience listening to you?

Doc-Z

#212477 - 08/19/05 05:47 AM Re: Speakers
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Doc-Z

Technology has changed the world of sounds systems dramatically over the past few years. Unfortunately, manufacturers of conventional sound systems does not seem to be keeping up with this trend.

The vast majority of us that are using the Logitech and Bose systems are OMB entertainers who are performing in small to mid size venues with audiences ranging in size from 50 to 150 people. We are not playing background music for quaint dinner parties where they volumes are so faint that no one can hear you playing. Instead, we're headlining, playing and singing, filling dancefoors to capacity and hearing some of the best sound quality we've experienced in years.

While these tiny speakers were initially designed for home theater and computer systems, you must keep in mind that in both aspects consumers demanded and got incredible quality sound systems. As these tiny systems increased in size, they also increased in quality, providing outstanding sounds throughout the frequency range, and projecting those sounds over greater distances.

It was just two years ago when a few of us decided to give the Logitech systems a try, beginning with the Z-2200. The results were phonemonal. Today, whith the 5.1 surround systems offered with the Logtech Z-5300 and Z-5500, those sounds have improved to an even greater degree, providing crisp highs, excellent mids and gut-thumping lows that reach well beyond conventional sound systems. Those often muddy sounds experienced with large, conventional systems are gone.

While there are still a lot of individuals who seem to be impressed with expensive, monster speakers sitting atop huge stands, wires running all over the floor, stacks of equipment, and 1-hour setup times, I'm not among them. My ageing body really enjoys the lightweight Logitech Z-5500 system, a system that provides my audiences with crisp, clear vocals, plus transmits the exact sounds of my keyboard throughout the venue at levels enjoyed by everyone.

As I have said in the past, let your ears be the judge--not your eyes or your wallet.

Good Luck on whatever you decide upon,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#212478 - 08/19/05 07:01 AM Re: Speakers
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Well said, Gary.

Glenn

#212479 - 08/19/05 07:34 AM Re: Speakers
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Anyone ever suggest to the Logitech folks that it may be worth producing a system specifically for portable sound for musicians, meetings, etc.? I'm talking about simply beefing up the connections ( adding 1/4" jacks to both ends), handles, carrying case, etc.?) Looks like there is enough interst and satisfaction in the current product to make it viable.

Russ

#212480 - 08/19/05 08:25 AM Re: Speakers
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
While I still use 'old-fashioned' box speakers and a powered amp/mixer, I am surprised at the wonderment and reluctance on the part of some people to accept the fact that with today's technology, when it comes to speakers as much as anything else, small does NOT equal inferior ... I remember a number of years ago when I first heard a Bose home theater surround sound system .. I was blown away and couldn't believe the sound was coming from "those small speakers" ... I realize that there are different demands between home theater systems and performance venues, but the technology has come SO FAR ... I also think it is part of the 'persona' for 'rockers' to have huge sound systems, if only for the 'image factor' ... (WOW, did you see the SPEAKERS they had, DUDE??? ) ... but as has been said, before deciding, LISTEN !!!
t.

#212481 - 08/19/05 08:29 AM Re: Speakers
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
Anyone ever suggest to the Logitech folks that it may be worth producing a system specifically for portable sound for musicians, meetings, etc.? I'm talking about simply beefing up the connections ( adding 1/4" jacks to both ends)

Doubtful they'd be interested. However, if you're not that much of a do-it-yourselfer, you shouldn't have much difficulty finding a technician who could make the necessary changes. I know of one guy who did just that (with the connections), and he's happy as can be.

Glenn

#212482 - 08/21/05 07:51 AM Re: Speakers
doc-z Offline

Loc: Norway
Ok... a couple of questions to the people who use Logitechs.

Is the sound loud and hard enough to sound over a crowd of drunken maniacs dancing, shouting and singing along? Or will the sound drown out?

How loud can you play with those speakers? are we talking >80db?

It's real hard for me to understand that systems designed for close proximity listening, infront of a computer, with small piezo drivers can produce a fullrange long bearing sound. But if it can, I would be real interested in getting one. But before I toss out 200$ for PC speakers, I want to know if they are truly usable.

Doc-Z

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online