SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#210820 - 12/28/05 08:29 AM Re: What are you doing New Year's Eve?
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
WOOOOOH, my N.Y. eve job was just cancelled, because of lack of interest. It was $150. a couple, so I guess a lot of people thought that was too high.
Oh well, I do have a contract so I'll get paid to stay home this year!
DonM

Don, that has to be the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. $150? My gosh, who runs that place? That is insane for that club.

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#210821 - 12/28/05 09:14 AM Re: What are you doing New Year's Eve?
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
New Years Eve is nuts.

I played a Christmas party at a restaurant which had a sign up advertising NYE at $155 per person.

A guy called me this morning looking for a job saying his NYE at a homeowners association was canceled this morning (3 days before the job). He had a small deposit, but no contract beyond that.

Russ.... I believe the girl singer I mentioned moved to Covington. She is in her late 60s with a very strong personality, but pretty good sense of what pleases a crowd. If you need more info..let me know.

Glenn... I hear what you are saying about "unringing" the bell and I guess I would cave and use her if I had to. The problem is she left me in a bit of a lurch knowing we had contracts for this season.

And DonM...sorry to hear about your cancelation, but glad you had a contract with a client who will honor the financials.

For all you guys who are not working, don't forget you could always crash Gary's party at his house. (Better bring a snow shovel.)

Eddie

#210822 - 12/28/05 09:45 AM Re: What are you doing New Year's Eve?
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
Hello and Happy New year to all. I lost my gig to a DJ. The contractor tried to get me into a lowest bid fray and the DJ took the gig for less than I get for an everyday job. So, like DonM, I'll be home - sans pay - and just spend some time with the grandkids.
Ciao,
Jerry

#210823 - 12/28/05 10:25 AM Re: What are you doing New Year's Eve?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Eddie....Covington is about an hour and a half up Interstate 75 on the outside of Cincinnati from Lexington. There are probably more job opportunities in the Cincinnati market. Singers with duos or trios get $100.00 for small restaurant/club jobs here...$150 for a single. Not sure that's enough to drive three hours for.

At any rate, if she's in the area, have her call me (859)-948-4687. I could introduce her to the heads of the two society bands
that work the most with vocalists. 50% of my work is as a single. The rest is keyboards, gutar and drums, so I rarely need a vocalist.

Russ

#210824 - 12/28/05 11:11 AM Re: What are you doing New Year's Eve?
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Thanks Russ.
She tells me she is coming down to her Daughter's in West Palm Beach the first two weeks of January. I will find out exactly where she is located in KY and if she would be interested in taking you up on your offer.

Nice of you to do this..

Eddie

#210825 - 12/28/05 11:13 AM Re: What are you doing New Year's Eve?
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Well Don, here's your chance to use some of that instant wealth and fly out to California to join Nigel up at Big Bear. Great place. Nigel, hope you've got your "ski-legs" in shape. At least you won't be running between gigs like our boy Scott Yee. Oh to be young again!

Happy New Year. (You too Uncle Dave and Chico!) DISCLAIMER: If I left anybody out, it's probably because of hardening of the arteries or some other good excuse like that.

All my best to all of you, RICE

#210826 - 12/28/05 09:47 PM Re: What are you doing New Year's Eve?
vclocke Offline

Loc: riverside, ca, usa
Hey Guys,

My performance calendar is finished for the year. About 3 1/2 weeks of singing with a local choir (at about 14 rest homes and assisted living facilities) and 3 Christmas programs (playing keyboard) at local senior centers.

Having survived five years now past throat and kidney cancer I am thankful that I will be home again this year (goin' on 14 years) fixin' rib roast, veggies, potatoes, tomato bisque soup and bread pudding with spiced pears for 12 of our close friends. Then playing games the rest of the night.

EDDIE: The thought crossed my mind about heading back to crash Gary's party - then I realized he said he was having crab "balls" on his menu. I was a little concerned about the size of crabs that might be runnin' around.

Happy (and safe) new years to all of you !!

vc

------------------
Vern

#210827 - 12/30/05 07:28 PM Re: What are you doing New Year's Eve?
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Hi Don,

Here's an interesing one. About five months ago the activities director at a facility I play for asked me if I'd be interested in playing for then on New Year's Eve from 6 till 8. I politely declined and then she mentioned what she would be willing to pay me and I said I'd think about it. I took the job. About a month after that another facility asked me to play from 9 till 10. Again, willing to pay decent money. The bottom line, I'm playing 2 easy gigs for the same big bucks I usually make on the outside and I'll be finished in time to go to our inner harbor condo to watch fireworks with the family, and, I won't have to deal with any drunks. Who would have guessed.

Happy New Year everyone!

Joe

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala

#210828 - 12/30/05 07:53 PM Re: What are you doing New Year's Eve?
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Don,

I quit playing NYE the year 1999 turned into 2000. I didn't want my keyboard turning into a pumpkin because of Y2K. Seriously, Pat sat alone with the kids for 25 years while I played. As much as I need and enjoy performing I enjoy spending NYE with Pat more. I told the band I was done playing on NYE.

You see while you have the luxury of deciding weather to golf or go fishing because you have no day job, I have the luxury of NOT having to play if I choose not to because I do have a day job.

Since NYE 2000 we have had a small party of 5 couples who are all close friends of ours. We rotate the location every year among the 5 households. It would take a lot to make me give up this wonderful time with our friends and my wife.

Happy NY to you and Susan. As Spock would say "live well and prosper".

Tom

Tom

#210829 - 12/30/05 09:42 PM Re: What are you doing New Year's Eve?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
...the plot thickens!!
It seems a large group of people who were planning to attend the NY eve party that got cancelled have decided to have their own party and have hired me to play for them. That will be from 8 to 1.
In the meantime I had told the supper club where I work during the week that I was suddenly available, so they called tonight to ask if I come come and play there. I told them I could play from 5 until 7:30, so it looks as if I'll be busy after all. It will be just soft dinner-type music.
Fortunately I have at least two of everything on hand, so I can be set up ahead of time at both places. I'll use HankB's PSR2000 and a Barbetta at the first job, and the Bose PAS and SD1 for the PARTY!!!
Then I'll be off until Sunday evening!
Tom, I'm a little envious, but the stakes are too high to stay home on the most lucrative night of the year! Have a great evening though!
Happy New Year to all.
DonM

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online