SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#209515 - 11/10/03 09:21 AM Quick impression Korg PA1X Pro
Roel Offline

Today I was invited to visit Jaap van Putten's shop and play/feel the new PA1X Pro.
The instrument has a real 'pro' look !
The keyboard feel is 'weigted' and of very good quality. (better than SD1)

The styles sound OK, but the variations sometimes are almost copies of eachother.

The 'user-interface' sometimes is confusing because of the double/triple functions of many buttons. e.g. One button is used for selecting intrument group Piano AND Saxes.... it depends on another 'select' switch (with LED) what is selectable.

The touch-screen sometimes has tiny 'buttons' that are hard to touch because they are close to another button.

Voices :
Violin sounds real, but the stringS do sound a bit too synthy.

Voice sounds are not impressive.

Piano's sound OK

Accordeons/harmonica OK

Brasses ..... sound average

Sampled Organs very good and Church Organs extremely natural and do impress me.
Drawbars sound average and the Leslie effect is poor. (sounds like they implemented the cheapest DSP available)

Styles :
The Jazz, Funky and Rock styles are very good but all others sound average with only 2 intro's, 4 (more or less) variations. It just sounds too computerized ! Not as much musical feel as the SD1 brings in ;-)

Please do realize this is a personal opinion and it depends on the players wishes/taste to decide if this baby fits in ones equipment !

After this visit I could decide this one does not fit for me (and Wietse).

I'll stay loyal to Ketron SD1 as long as no brand is able to create a better sounding machine

Roel

#209516 - 11/10/03 12:31 PM Re: Quick impression Korg PA1X Pro
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Roel ,

Hey Roel ....we share the same opinions . The action was terrific , better than SD1 , but would you describe the keyboard as a stretched out PA80 with a touch screen and sliders ?

Also ...about the Sd1 ...Sandro accually incorporated a feature I suggested , which was a "unplugged" feature . This allows you to go into arrange view and select any part and than by pressing the master "chord" volumne buttons , the part gets isolated or "unplugged" . Are you aware of this feature and have tried it ?
Once you press a fill , the rest of the style is incorporated .

Dano

------------------
keyboardcity@yahoo.com www.keyboardcity.net
1-866-348-8876

[This message has been edited by DanO1 (edited 11-10-2003).]

#209517 - 11/10/03 01:00 PM Re: Quick impression Korg PA1X Pro
New Yorker Offline

Loc: St. Petersburg, Russia
Sounds like this baby is for me!!!!

cause that's the type of music I do (synth/techno).

Maybe it's the first arranger for techno?

Kudos to KORG!

[This message has been edited by New Yorker (edited 11-10-2003).]

#209518 - 11/10/03 07:32 PM Re: Quick impression Korg PA1X Pro
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Quote:
Originally posted by DanO1:
Roel ,

Also ...about the Sd1 ...Sandro accually incorporated a feature I suggested , which was a "unplugged" feature . This allows you to go into arrange view and select any part and than by pressing the master "chord" volumne buttons , the part gets isolated or "unplugged" . Are you aware of this feature and have tried it ?
Once you press a fill , the rest of the style is incorporated .

Dano

The KN7000 has a similar feature to the SD-1's "unplugged" feature. It's called the "Solo instrument" feature where a specific instrument is 'isolated' and provides a solo lick, riff, etc. Any Voice can be used for the 'solo' feature not just Guitars though. The Tyros has a similar feature too. It's called a "Multi-Pad". Although using a multi-pad doesn't 'isoloate' from the other instruments in the Style backing arrangement, it just adds to them; albeit doing so can give you an extra or added spice, and or pizzaz! to the arrangement.

Best regards,
Mike

#209519 - 11/11/03 01:11 AM Re: Quick impression Korg PA1X Pro
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello Roel,

What's new in Holland ?
So you play the new Korg ? Just a little qestion : how much time you spent to play on this keyboard ?

Groetjes uit Belgium,
JJ

#209520 - 11/11/03 07:42 AM Re: Quick impression Korg PA1X Pro
Roel Offline

Dan01 :
I'm not familiar with the PA80.
The sound is VERY "Korg" and there are still M1/01W sounds in it. (At the time I sold my M1, many years ago I hated the soo recognisable piano...... it is still there !)

Thanks for telling about the new únplugged feature. It works great !

New Yorker :
I only wrote the strings sound just is too synthy'. Perhaps this one is your baby ? (I have my doubts)

JJ :
You did not read my message with Belgium precision JJ....
I tried to let the forum readers know I played it for about 45 minutes in a music shop. It's pretty sure that the number of minutes will not increase much. (Hij heeft 'het' gewoon niet !)

The feel-, touch-, easy use, styles and overall sound of the SD1 still suits best for me. (even after 2,5 years with > 3,5 years old technology)

btw. Xmas is coming and perhaps some of you guys have not heard the songs Wietse (the singer) and I recorded on X1 or SD1 a few years ago.
You are kindly invited to visit http://turforkest.iuma.com

Roel

#209521 - 11/11/03 07:59 AM Re: Quick impression Korg PA1X Pro
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Roel,
The songs are great, and even though I've listened to them before, it was nice to revisit.
We've come a long way since the Technics Canada days!
DonM

#209522 - 11/11/03 08:21 AM Re: Quick impression Korg PA1X Pro
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Quote:
Originally posted by keybplayer:
The KN7000 has a similar feature to the SD-1's "unplugged" feature. It's called the "Solo instrument" feature where a specific instrument is 'isolated' and provides a solo lick, riff, etc. Any Voice can be used for the 'solo' feature not just Guitars though. The Tyros has a similar feature too. It's called a "Multi-Pad". Although using a multi-pad doesn't 'isoloate' from the other instruments in the Style backing arrangement, it just adds to them; albeit doing so can give you an extra or added spice, and or pizzaz! to the arrangement.

Best regards,
Mike

Hi Mike ,

Thanks for the insight , but the feature with the SD1 is different than what you have mentioned . I am a Yamaha and a Technics dealer .

Dano

[This message has been edited by DanO1 (edited 11-11-2003).]

#209523 - 11/11/03 02:11 PM Re: Quick impression Korg PA1X Pro
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Roel,
How come "What a wonderful world" is credited to Fats?
Were you thinking of Louis Armstrong, maybe?
"Sach" ..... may sound a little like "Fats" I guess.

#209524 - 11/11/03 02:21 PM Re: Quick impression Korg PA1X Pro
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
so...... do you love the new kb?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online