SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#209005 - 02/14/07 03:58 AM Weekend warriors ....
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Sigh ...... I LOVE teaching, but for the last year or so, I have only played a handful of music shows. (I've heard some refer to these as "gigs")
I'm not complaining, rather .... I'm here to join allegiance with the many of you who perform on a "less than full-time" basis, yet, still consider yourself a pro player/performer.

Each day at school, I have a captive audience, a room FULL of gear, a creative environment, and my own “stage” …..so to speak. It’s really a great way to spend the day, but I have noticed my stamina declining a bit when I get into a live performance. All the talking during the day is so destructive to my voice, and I used to be SO spoiled by my days off …… I get tired after singing 3 sets now. I used to sing 6-7 nights a week, with doubles and triples on the weekends! Aggghhh !!!! I’m getting soft!

So, WHY do I write this?

I want to give a “pat on the back” to those of you in part time situations that juggle multiple careers, family time, and playtime and manage to stay sane in the process.
My life is so different from a short 2 years ago, when my biggest worry was where
Fran, Donny and I were going for breakfast in the morning!

Now, there are deadlines, grades, lesson plans, life skills, drama (on AND off stage), headaches, tummy aches, packing lunches, snow days, faculty meetings …….. The list is endless, but again – I DO love it…….. It’s just….. Well, Valentines Day, and schools closed because of freezing rain and ice, my girls are all snowed in across town,
(I managed to sneak over last night an deliver “Cupid’s” gifts for them all ! )
I have an empty house to clean and its 7 o’clock in the morning!
Here I am … UP at first light with no where to go, no one to hang out with and no where to work? Crap … I guess I WILL have to clean this house today.
Sigh …….. and when’s BREAKFAST, dammitt ?!?!?!?

#209006 - 02/14/07 04:14 AM Re: Weekend warriors ....
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Dave, on this "special" day, your girlfriend from Starbucks says if you leave right now, she'll have the coffee ready when you get here!

She founf the recepe!

Russ

#209007 - 02/14/07 05:08 AM Re: Weekend warriors ....
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
My life is so different from a short 2 years ago, when my biggest worry was where
Fran, Donny and I were going for breakfast in the morning!

We all create our own roads in life, but I'd prefer you as a
"Full Time Music-man" vs teacher cause I know where your heart really is........you know your seat is always available next to Fran & I at the breakfast table.......too bad there's a Nor'easter Blizzard out there today......but dont worry Spring Break is coming

#209008 - 02/14/07 06:04 AM Re: Weekend warriors ....
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Dave, my plans were to become a Weekend Warrior also, when I took a "real" job last June. However, it hasn't worked that way. I have the day job, AND my music schedule is still as full as ever. Burning the candle at both ends now means something to me!
It's hard to do justice to either profession, but I'm trying.
And we don't have snow days, because we don't have snow!
DonM

#209009 - 02/14/07 06:32 AM Re: Weekend warriors ....
Uncle Dave Offline

I'd miss snow if I never got any. Even with the mess and the cold - I NEED the 4 seasons. Call me Frankie Valie.
As for teaching ... this was MY choice, and I'm still very glad I did it. The night life had worn me down a while ago, and it got to hard to love a profession that didn't love me back. Music is still the driving force behind my paycheck, but these days, the kids are the force behind the music !

#209010 - 02/14/07 06:32 AM Re: Weekend warriors ....
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I am heading to the Radcliffe for breakfast at 11..

#209011 - 02/14/07 06:35 AM Re: Weekend warriors ....
Uncle Dave Offline

You're crazy .... it's freeeeeeeezing out there. Stay inside and make an egg, silly man.

#209012 - 02/14/07 06:39 AM Re: Weekend warriors ....
Dnj Offline

Snow my a$$.....Im off to a double gig in my 4x4......But funny thing just happened first gig cancelled early this morning.....next phone call booked me on a cancellation nearby oh yeah......big Valentines Dinner Dance tonight.....
I LOVE MUSIC!!!!

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 02-14-2007).]

#209013 - 02/14/07 06:53 AM Re: Weekend warriors ....
Uncle Dave Offline

4x4s don't stop on ice either, Donny - BE CAREFUL !!!!!
I'm going to have another hot cup of cinnamon, vanilla java with whipped cream and watch the pretty winter wonderland FROM THE COUCH ! Ahhhhhh.........
BTW - I love music too !

#209014 - 02/14/07 07:10 AM Re: Weekend warriors ....
Dnj Offline

dave toughen up buddy.....drink some scotch...get a shovel and do some MANLY chores outside the house.....then when your all pumped up....go inside and RECORD some UNPLUGGED Songs on Guitar & Rhodes only

baby you need a jolt of looking at your old band pics & where ya came from & coming down to earth as to what you really are....a GREAT MUSICIAN !
let the music die...Don't let it ever disappear you'll be sorry ;(

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online