SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#209015 - 02/14/07 07:38 AM Re: Weekend warriors ....
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Music dying? WHERE ????/
I'm shaping the future of music by ignighting excitment in young minds everyday !
Nothing more manly than raising up a child, is there? And scotch, instead of coffee? No thanx. Caffine vs. booze - I choose caffine anyday !
Time for a relaxing, hot shower ... then I'll venture out and see what the roads look like. Donna may need help later, so I want to be prepared...just in case!

#209016 - 02/14/07 07:43 AM Re: Weekend warriors ....
Dnj Offline

I'm glad we agree on everything

"Mr. Boyd's OPUS"

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 02-14-2007).]

#209017 - 02/14/07 08:40 AM Re: Weekend warriors ....
korg4god Offline

Loc: Dodge City, Kansas 67801
Dave,

Where do you teach and what grades, etc.
I LOVE teaching but never finished my MU ED degree so I picked up about 4 years teaching K-12 at a couple of private Christian schools then have been teaching piano/ voice for about 20 years.

I am finishing up my assciate's in music at the local junior college with plans on going to WSU in Wichita for my bachelor's in Music Theory/ Composition and on to a MAster's in the same or maybe musicology.

Jeff

Dodge City Schools -USD 443
Forte Music School

http://forte.musicteachershelper.com

#209018 - 02/14/07 10:05 AM Re: Weekend warriors ....
montana Offline

Loc: red lodge,mt,usa
Here we have two seasons Winter and Prepareing for Winter

#209019 - 02/14/07 10:49 AM Re: Weekend warriors ....
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Dave, I completely understand an equal commitment to what appears, at first, to be two different passions.

As much as I love all aspects of playing music, I'm equally committed to and enjoy the more academic things I do. Live music production goes hand it hand with live event production, film production,film score production, etc., and all of these things fit into every aspect of communication process management (perception research, being a college instructor, communications consulting...all things my company specializes in. It all fits together.

It's entirely possible to be fully committed to two or more different endeavors and do justice to all of them.

The way I do it is just give up the things I don't enjoy. For me, it's no home maintenance, car repairs...no sports (couldn't name one UK player...any team), no drinking or chasing women (anymore). The income from playing make me not feel guilty about paying someone else to do the things I would feel I had to do if I weren't "busy"...cutting grass...fixing gutters...washing cars, etc.

A wise old partner told me that the key to happiness is to concentrate on doing for a living what you would do for free. That's what I do, and I'm a "happy camper". In your case, I would think it's as rewarding to teach music and use music in therapy as it is to perform music.

Makes sense to me, and I'm convinced you're one of the best at it.

(Temporarily "making nice" so I can "sock it to ya" when you least expect it).

"Faux" Diddley

#209020 - 02/14/07 12:04 PM Re: Weekend warriors ....
Dnj Offline

[QUOTE]Originally posted by captain Russ:
The way I do it is just give up the things I don't enjoy. For me, it's no home maintenance, car repairs...no sports (couldn't name one UK player...any team), no drinking or chasing women (anymore).

oh man this is slowly turning into the SENIOR ZONE .....make life count we only get one

#209021 - 02/14/07 12:39 PM Re: Weekend warriors ....

Damn, UD...you told me that Donny is OK. I believe you, so, I guess I should start playing nursing homes and animal clubs and spending my spare time watching sports on TV.

BURP!

Man, I feel better, now!
(How 'bout them Cats?)

R.

#209022 - 02/14/07 12:47 PM Re: Weekend warriors ....
Dnj Offline

hahahahahah Russss....yea lighten up buddy life's way too short to Dilly Daley...listen to Dave he knows best ....try some country tunes too you'll feel better ask Don M....BTW

Happy Valentines Day!!

PS Go Eagles & Yankees!

#209023 - 02/14/07 01:24 PM Re: Weekend warriors ....

Ya, right! Playing country music and watching sports...the ideal way not to Dilly Dalley!

I'm on it!
(P.S. I'm NOT having fun, yet).

R.

#209024 - 02/14/07 02:06 PM Re: Weekend warriors ....
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Ah Dave, for 33 years I taught 8th grade English, was the music director at church and played in a band about 50 jobs a year.

Now I'm retired from school, still at church and wondering what happened to the band work. I have been fortunate in that I can sing anytime anywhere. My voice is still decent at 56, but the band work has dried up and I have nowhere to play. The few jobs i get, I get exhausted lugging my "paired down" equipment up the basement steps and into the job and back.

I think it's AGE

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online