SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#208288 - 03/13/04 03:37 AM Re: My first gigs - gear questions
Earl Offline

Loc: Paris, France
Hi,

Thanks Scott your advices. I'm now convinced that an headset mic is interesting but doesn't replace a standard one on all situations...

Concerning the Beta 87, I'm having a look on this. But which model would be recommended when using it on a mic boom just above a PSR 2000? I mean, there are two types, on Supercardioid (87A) and another Cardiod (87C). The later is recommended for people using in-ear monitors but I'm asking myself if when the mic is very close to the keyboard's speakers there is any risk of feedback with such a sensitive mic?

Thanks.

bye

PS: Shure is starting to deliver their new Wireless mic system, named SLX. It seems easier to use than the ULX series, at a less expensive price...

#208289 - 03/13/04 06:57 AM Re: My first gigs - gear questions
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Earl,
Don't buy a mic by specs. LISTEN to everyone you are auditioning TYHROUGH the psr2000, if that's the way you will use it. The condenser mics will need phantom power too, so be aware of that little addition to your rig. You'll need some external power sourse to power the mic first if you go the condenser route.
I have had great success with the EV N/Dym series. The 757 and 767 are terrific stage mics and won't break the bank either.
They are hotter than most non-condenser mics, and rugged as all get out.

#208290 - 03/13/04 07:32 AM Re: My first gigs - gear questions
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Earl,

Send me an email at gary_diamond@hotmail.com and I'll send you the mic set-up in a registration file that seems to work best for those currently performing with the PSR-2000.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#208291 - 03/13/04 07:32 AM Re: My first gigs - gear questions
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Tomcat:
Scott, what mic and boom are you using in the video of your San Francisco Chinese New Year "job"?

EV N/Dyn D757.

It's an old workhorse I've been using for stage work for over 10 years. I particularly like it for for its very 'high' signal ouput to optimally drive my keyboard's built in vocalizer. Though I still like , I'm in the market for another hand held style performance mic which has a similar 'high' signal output level. Any recommendations? Which other mic brands (Audix, Sennheiser, AKG, etc) provide the high signal output as EV mics do. I'm looking for a smooth yet unhyped mic sound.

I know Donny Pesce uses an Sennheiser Evolution 885, Uncle Dave an EV 767, and Don Mason & Uncle Dave (also) use Shure Beta 87 condenser mics. Donny, I assume the Evolution 885 provides more than adequate signal output to optimally drive the built in harmonizer on your PSR2000 for clean/clear harmonies, right?

DonM and Uncle Dave: What mic pre-amp (phantom power) are you guys using to boost the Shure Beta 87's mic signal? I'm looking for a small as possible but quality sounding mic preamp box to take for live gigging. I want to be able to plug my condenser mic (AKG C3000) into the mic preamp (hopefully small enought to be placed/mounted on top of the keyboard) and then go from there directly into the Tyros' mic input jack.

Ok, I'm headed south for the weekend now to do a show in Pismo Beach and also meet up with Synthzone buddies Frank Bez, Paul Curzan, Eric Bott, and Richard Peck. See you all back here next week. - Scott

#208292 - 03/13/04 09:18 AM Re: My first gigs - gear questions
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I use the SM 87 condenser mic when I use an external mixer with phantom power. Other times, I use a Shure SM58. I think that's a new mic that nobody knows much about.
I did try my friend Hank's Sennheiser and I like it a lot too, but can't find enough difference between the 58 and it to merit making a change.
DonM

#208293 - 03/13/04 09:42 AM Re: My first gigs - gear questions
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
The SM 58 has been out for a while Don. What's nice about the SM 58 is it's really rugged and holds up to abuse. You can drop it, kick it, spit on it (unintentionally of course ) use it in foul weather and windy conditions, expose it to extreme feedback or even dust or other airborne particles and it keeps on ticking. Being a Dynamic Mic it isn't near as delicate as a Condenser Mic can and oftentimes is.

Best regards,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 03-13-2004).]

#208294 - 03/13/04 09:50 AM Re: My first gigs - gear questions
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
Donny, I assume the Evolution 885 provides more than adequate signal output to optimally drive the built in harmonizer on your PSR2000 for clean/clear harmonies, right?

Scott....First off, correction its the Senn model Evolution 855. After A/B'ing so many mics including your EV767 which I used for a few weeks also, I found that the Senn 855 has a much more Robust sound all around for my voice, giving me the searing vocals I need in my show. I suggest you do an A/B also. I highly recomend the Senn 855.

------------------
www.donnypesce.com

#208295 - 03/13/04 11:45 AM Re: My first gigs - gear questions
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
[QUOTE]Originally posted by keybplayer:
[B]The SM 58 has been out for a while Don. What's nice about the SM 58 is it's really rugged and holds up to abuse. You can drop it, kick it, spit on it (unintentionally of course ) use it in foul weather and windy conditions, expose it to extreme feedback or even dust or other airborne particles and it keeps on ticking. Being a Dynamic Mic it isn't near as delicate as a Condenser Mic can and oftentimes is.

Best regards,
Mike

I was being sarcastic, Mike, I've used SM58s on and off for 30 years.
DonM

#208296 - 03/13/04 12:09 PM Re: My first gigs - gear questions
Route 66 Offline

Loc: Braganca, Portugal
My two cents on this one. I own the following three mics: EV 767, Shure Beta 58, Shure Beta 87. THe EV is the one with the hottest signal, but I prefer the Shure Beta 58 (I have the impression that the high frequency response is better), which is the one I use in most of my live performances. They are both dynamic, which means more simplicity and robustness. For Tyros owners: with these two mics, the mic gain knob (back pannel) is at 2/3 of max position. The condenser Beta 87 has better detail. I use it with an inexpensive (this is for Scott) tube preamp from Behringer http://www.behringer.com/MIC100/index.cfm?lang=ENG , which has phantom power included, and with the Tyros mic gain at 1/3 of the max.

-- José.

#208297 - 09/05/04 09:38 AM Re: My first gigs - gear questions
Earl Offline

Loc: Paris, France
Hi All,

Following to this post and your answers, I'm back to the forum.

I'd like to thank you again for providing so useful information that helped me a lot!

Here is my feedback.

I finally had three gigs during the past months.

During the first one, in May in a small American restaurant in Paris (!), I only song two songs (one with a pianist, another one myself playing the piano), it was BIG stress but the overall result was rather good for a first time (no lyrics forgotten, no real piano mistakes). There were a big feedback during one of my performances but I kept in beat and it was okay!

The second one was held at a great venue in Paris. Wonderful room with a real stage, with sound engineer, lights, return, wireless mic...70 people were there. I also song two songs, again one with a pianist, another one with me playing the piano. Big stress on the first one, I wasn't sure to remember the lyrics and didn't start on time at the beginning... But I did me job correctly.
For the second one, I was playing the piano so it was different (not facing the people). Still some stress but I was very focused on my job and there wasn't any real problem. The audience acclaimed me at the end, it was really strong and I was so surprised!

The last one was this summer during a friend's birthday party (around 40 people). This time, it was completely different because I had the opportunity to do a "real full show" alone on the "stage". I brought my keyboard and the required stuff.
It begun bad because I didn't have the opportunity to sing at all during the week before the show and of course, my voice wasn't trained enough to sing without problems the songs I prepared...

I practiced anyway my voice in the afternoon, before a rehearsal and balance, but wasn't really confident.

At 10PM, my "show" begun. I again did 15 minutes vocal practices and, this time, it was going really better...

I started playing and singing some quiet ballads, the audience was half-listening (while eating . After some songs, some people came to sing with my (I brought a second mic with a stand): it was become more hot and interesting.

After a small break, I started singing more "dance" tunes and it worked fine. People requested songs to sing on, I had 5 floppies of MIDI files so it was great!

Near the end, the whole audience was singing with me in chorus on a song, it was fantastic...

I finally song during about two hours / two hours and half (really don't know after a so long night)...

So, in conclusion, I'm very satisfied my these experiences and I'm waiting to go back to the stage asap!!

On a technical point a view, here is the gear I bought and setup I defined):
- Mic: I now have a SM58, Beta58 and EV 767. The later is now my favourite (thanks to Scott). Good "sound" and output signal. The beta 58 is also not too bad. I use the SM58 for guest singers singing with me.
- I bought a small Yamaha mixer, very convenient for travelling.
- For the PA, I bought an Altec Lansing 622 (?) multimedia system but hadn't the opportunity to use it. I use PSR speakers for my own monitoring.
- For the case, I bought a keyboard bag at Thomann. Great and not too expensive.

Finally, I'm rather happy with my setup. I've got the project to buy a PSR3K, a wireless Beta 87 mic and a real PA and it will be perfect for me!!

Bye
Earl.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online