SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#206754 - 12/20/05 05:05 PM Re: Let's hear those arrangers!
renig Offline

Loc: Canada
Hi Jingleman,

Thank you very much for your quick answer. I'm going to try your suggestions as soon as I get home (I'm at work at the moment).

That's what was baffling me. I mean, the i30 is no slouch in the 'punch' department in and of itself, being a close relative of the PA-1x, but I just wasn't 'getting it' in the recording end of things.

Thanks again for your advice, it's well taken.

[This message has been edited by renig (edited 12-20-2005).]

#206755 - 12/20/05 07:33 PM Re: Let's hear those arrangers!
guy n Offline

Loc: East coast United States
Well, here goes. My first attempt to post something for you guys and gals to critique.
I am no pro at recording as you will probably be able to tell.
All consructive comments are welcome.
thank you,
guy
http://s47.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0MOBLMBBM6QC03PQ37UOYEGIVM

#206756 - 12/20/05 11:25 PM Re: Let's hear those arrangers!
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Guy n
I like your rendition of "All the thing you are".
The intro sounded a bit canned, as it was the standard intro of any arranger, but then I liked a lot your phrasing with the piano and also the Soprano Sax.
Personally, when I play a ballad on an arranger keyboard, I mute the string track because it is part of the dreaded "canned arranger" sound, so to speak. Instead, I tend to play a pad or a vocal sound with my left hand, trying to voice the chords with the inversion that sounds best to my ears.
What arranger are you using?

#206757 - 12/21/05 08:18 PM Re: Let's hear those arrangers!
guy n Offline

Dreamer, Thank you . It's nice to know that SOMEONE listened to it.
Interesting that you felt the intro was canned, because I played that myself. Maybe I play like I'm canned. I appreciate the comment on the phrasing. I also do vocals, and I find myself playing as if I am singing.
On the sax part, that's actually two different voices, alto and tenor.
I would like to hear some other comments. I will try to send another tomorrow.
guy

#206758 - 12/22/05 06:22 PM Re: Let's hear those arrangers!
guy n Offline

#206759 - 12/22/05 07:18 PM Re: Let's hear those arrangers!
guy n Offline

I downloaded and played this from the above link and I have to say I was very disappointed with the sound. The guitar, especially, did not sound at all like it does from my keyboard, or from the recording on my PC. Is there something I should be doing in the recordingor before the transfer to 'you send it' ?
thank you,
guy

#206760 - 12/22/05 08:04 PM Re: Let's hear those arrangers!
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Guy, nice classic Kenny Dorham song recording choice. Nice playing, though you're obviously suffering problems with dynamics (volume) & balance/eq levels. The guitar parts are not only way too loud, but lack needed efx (reverb), yet piano sounds balanced & tastefully played. What arranger(?) keyboard/sound module did you use to record this? I trust that once you get the engineering figured out, your tunes will shine, as you certainly are a competant player. I look forward to hearing more from you. - Scott

------------------
http://scottyee.com

#206761 - 12/22/05 09:02 PM Re: Let's hear those arrangers!
andym Offline

Hi guy n

I thought your version of "All The Things You Are" was excellent. I enjoyed it very much. Wonderful piano playing, impressive. Were you reading from some music sheet or was that your own stylizing? If it was your own stylizing, you have a wonderful touch.

andym

#206762 - 12/23/05 05:57 AM Re: Let's hear those arrangers!
guy n Offline

Scott, thanks so much for the comments. Yes, I was really disappointed (and embarrassed) by the 'sound' of Blue Bossa, because as I said that's NOT what I heard from my kb or PC. Being the accomplished pianist you are, I certainly appreciate your comments on my playing capabilities (which I find lacking), but I do try to put my heart into it in a 'natural' way.
I would also appreciate your thoughts on the rhythms and voices (discounting the guitar in Blue Bossa of course). More on the 'instrument' later.

andym, Thank you as well. "All The Things You Are" is probably my all time favorite song (if it is possible to have just one).
While I tried to make the song somewhat reminiscent of the 'George Shearing Sound", the playing was all my own, recorded in one take. Thank you.
guy

#206763 - 12/26/05 01:13 PM Re: Let's hear those arrangers!
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Here's a blues tune call

"First Attempt" ... I'm debating on changing the name to " King of my throne"
http://www.keyboardcity.net/audio/track%2006.mp3

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online