Let's hear those arrangers!

Posted by: ccdmax

Let's hear those arrangers! - 12/15/05 08:29 PM

Hey guys,

I have just become inspired by Scottyee and decided to start a new topic. We all know how good our arrangers sound, and we know what the manufacturer demos sound like, but... there is nothing like a real life experience. So, please post your songs and info what keys have you used to record it, so that we all can see what our arrangers can really do!

I'm going first with my recent two songs that will appear on my upcoming CD.
They both have been recorded on Korg PA1X Pro.

Please follow the link to my website to hear them (they will play automaticaly) or click on this link: http://myspace.com/ccdmax

Let's have some fun and enjoy each other's music at the same time!

cheers,

ccdmax

------------------
Korg Triton Extreme, PA1X Pro, Yamaha PSR730 (for sale)
Click to visit my website

[This message has been edited by ccdmax (edited 12-15-2005).]
Posted by: Eric, B

Re: Let's hear those arrangers! - 12/15/05 09:41 PM

ccdmax,

your PA1X-Pro sounds great.

Loved both songs. You don't hear to much of that around here......

Tell me about those female voices at the end of your first song. Are they part of the choir sounds? They really sounded authentic and great.

Thanks for sharing.

As you may know I just got my Tyros2.
It'll take me a couple of weeks before I'm ready to record anything.

Jam on.

Eric
Posted by: Carrie-uk

Re: Let's hear those arrangers! - 12/16/05 04:01 AM

Hmmmmm, I might have to get in on this. I've got some time off from school over the holidays so might have to break out the old 3000 for a spin It's been a long time!

Carrie
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: Let's hear those arrangers! - 12/16/05 07:58 AM

As I replied to Scott's thread... Be careful what you wish for ...
t.
Posted by: Shade of pale

Re: Let's hear those arrangers! - 12/16/05 12:38 PM

Sounds great, "Dream" is such a good Down Tempo electro lounge piece.....PA1X sounds superb, what style did you use?
Posted by: Riceroni9

Re: Let's hear those arrangers! - 12/16/05 12:56 PM

Hi Charge-Coupled-Device and others:

I abuse a PSR-2000 'cause I can't afford the stuff you rich guys get to play around with. I'm a songwriter and you can check out my stuff at MusicPlaces.com

The link is: [url=HTTP://WWW.MusicPlaces.com/David_Lynn_Rice/][url=HTTP://WWW.MusicPlaces.com/David_Lynn_Rice/][url=HTTP://WWW.MusicPlaces.com/David_Lynn_Rice/]HTTP://WWW.MusicPlaces.com/David_Lynn_Rice/[/url][/url][/url]

Regards, RICE (The Lone Arranger)
Posted by: DanO1

Re: Let's hear those arrangers! - 12/16/05 03:36 PM

"Get it right" .... done completely on SD1. http://www.keyboardcity.net/audio/track%2001_56.mp3

The lead guitar parts where done using a volumne pedal and assigning thepedal to have
a "wha" effect .....

Hoping to get more right than wrong in 2006.

Dan O'
Posted by: renig

Re: Let's hear those arrangers! - 12/16/05 07:13 PM

Okey dokey. Here's a song I wrote a couple of years ago - and it still wants some fiddlin' around with. A country ballad, not my usual thing, but you know how it is when the mood grabs you. Anyhoo, for what it's worth here it is.

P.S. You'll have to jack the volume a bit - it's a bit soft. I don't know why, I'm no recording buff.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=246927&songID=1714142

Oh, I forgot to mention this was done with just my Korg i30, the only additional track being the i30's own acoustic guitar doing the twiddly (is that a kosher musical term? ) bits.

[This message has been edited by renig (edited 12-16-2005).]
Posted by: nielshs

Re: Let's hear those arrangers! - 12/17/05 03:12 AM

Hi

Here is a demo of my G-70, "I'll find my way home" http://nielshs.homepage.dk/Find.mp3

Niels
Posted by: jingleman

Re: Let's hear those arrangers! - 12/17/05 08:14 PM

This particular client asked for a jingle that had the sound of a Bryan Adams groove. I played the Korg PA1X directly into Adobe Audition. Lead guitar patch was then overdubbed on an additional track. Lead voice was run through PA1X voice modeler with rasp added to enhance my not so strong rock voice. Backing vocals were also run through PA1X voice processor. This is a 30 sec. full sing version.
http://s52.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=04IL74LQS3MI111PU8BVY1JFPL
Posted by: Dnj

Re: Let's hear those arrangers! - 12/17/05 08:16 PM

Neils.....Nice groove!
I enjoyed your tune....
Love those Roto Toms and Strings....
you really have that G70 sounding good by making the song "YOURS"....
Thanx for sharing!!

Dnj

Re: Let's hear those arrangers! - 12/17/05 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DanO1:
"Get it right" .... done completely on SD1. Dan O'

Dan.....Killer tune!......the driving beat off the SD-1 and Raw lead guitar is awesome, that LIVE Ketron sound makes you want to play, Im glad I returned to Ketron with the Midjay its an exilerating playing experience every night on stage for sure!! ...as for your Song,I really enjoyed it...my lips were pouted & head was bobbin baby Oh Yeah!!

Re: Let's hear those arrangers! - 12/17/05 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jingleman:
This particular client asked for a jingle that had the sound of a Bryan Adams groove.

Jingleman.....very kool catchy tune reminisent of some of he stuff I hear on the Radio & TV, it drives the name into your brain & thats a good thing for business....good luck landing the client!

Re: Let's hear those arrangers! - 12/18/05 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Eric, B:
...Tell me about those female voices at the end of your first song. Are they part of the choir sounds? They really sounded authentic and great.

Thanks for sharing.

As you may know I just got my Tyros2.
It'll take me a couple of weeks before I'm ready to record anything.

Jam on.

Eric

Thanks Eric and congratulations on your Tyros2 purchase
As you know, I have cancelled the Tyros2 order after receiving my PA1X Pro
The female voices are not part of the choir sounds on the PA1X, they were sample sounds I've purchased separately exclusively for the Triton/PA1X Pro series keyboards.

Anyway, I want to appologize for not responding earlier, 'cause I love the songs you've guys have posted. I especially like the DanO's SD1 and the G70 sounds really rally good
Niels, good job

I'll try to keep on top of this topic from now on, even though it's hard 'cause my grandfather has past away... He and grandma have raised me from birth, so he was more like a father to me...

cheers,

ccdmax

------------------
Posted by: Dreamer

Re: Let's hear those arrangers! - 12/18/05 07:05 AM

Sorry for your loss, ccdmax; please, accept my condolences.
Posted by: Jerry T

Re: Let's hear those arrangers! - 12/18/05 10:56 AM

CCDMax,
Sorry to hear about your loss.
Jerry
Posted by: nielshs

Re: Let's hear those arrangers! - 12/18/05 01:56 PM

ccdmax

Thanks. You made a god job too . Sorry about your loss of you grandfather.

Regards Niels

[This message has been edited by nielshs (edited 12-18-2005).]
Posted by: Tony W

Re: Let's hear those arrangers! - 12/18/05 06:26 PM

ccdmax,
Please accept my condolences also on your sad loss.

Seeing as everyone else is posting their songs I will post Lola. I think I may have posted it here before but maybe not. This is one of my original songs but I do think it shows off the Tyros1 (as this was recorded using the TY) to it's best. Listening to this before posting I wonder why I was ever fool enough to get without the Tyros. Anyway..... www.tonywmusic.co.uk/mp3/Lola.mp3
hope you enjoy it.
best wishes
Tony

------------------
www.tonywmusic.co.uk

Re: Let's hear those arrangers! - 12/19/05 05:59 AM

ccdmax ... My sympathies on the loss of your grandfather ...
t.

Seems like I got a LOT of D/L and listening to do tonight ....
t.
Posted by: Mainer

Re: Let's hear those arrangers! - 12/19/05 06:32 AM

CCDMAX I'm sorry for your loss loosing someone close this time of year is especially difficult.

Jerry
Posted by: Mainer

Re: Let's hear those arrangers! - 12/19/05 06:39 AM

Great job all you guys, some serious talent out there.

renig

I have to tell you I liked your song and Demo one hell of a lot. I had to crank up the volume all the way but was impressed with the song, vocals and the I30.

Jerry

[This message has been edited by Mainer (edited 12-19-2005).]

Re: Let's hear those arrangers! - 12/19/05 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DanO1:
"Get it right" .... done completely on SD1. http://www.keyboardcity.net/audio/track%2001_56.mp3
The lead guitar parts where done using a volumne pedal and assigning thepedal to have
a "wha" effect .....
Hoping to get more right than wrong in 2006.
Dan O'

Dan ... I've got a dial up connection ... It says "Done" but nothing shows on the screen ...???
t.

Re: Let's hear those arrangers! - 12/19/05 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
Dan ... I've got a dial up connection ... It says "Done" but nothing shows on the screen ...???
t.

My bad ... didn't wait long enough ...
t.

Re: Let's hear those arrangers! - 12/19/05 06:39 PM

Thank you guys for all your warm words.
It's really nice to be a part of such a great community.

The songs are great, however I didn't get a chance to hear Tony's W. Lola...
I guess Tony, your bandwidth got maxed out just like mine did a couple of days ago

Well, got to run. Funeral is on Friday and me and my wife are in charge of all the florist's orders and stuff.

Keep them songs comming. It's great to hear all your work and all of your arrangers. As a matter of fact, I started enjoying the music more and got to a conclusion that... it's not the equipment that matters, it's the heart behind that keyboard

cheers,

ccdmax

------------------
Posted by: Riceroni9

Re: Let's hear those arrangers! - 12/20/05 04:16 AM

CCDMax:

I had a look at your website. Nice job. It took a little while to load on my old dial-up disabled PC. Just got to hear bits and pieces of "Dream" but what I heard, I really enjoyed. Nice!

Sorry about your loss. My prayers are with you and your loved ones.

All my best, RICE (The Lone Arranger)
Posted by: guy n

Re: Let's hear those arrangers! - 12/20/05 05:42 AM

Hello, Newbie here. Well, not so much a newbie because I have been reading this forum for a while. Very informative and interesting to say the least.
I have finally gotten the courage to submit something I played but need some help in how to work things out on yousendit.com.
I see that a number of you use that site to post your music, so if one of you could provide instructions I would be most appreciative.
Thank you,
Guy
Posted by: Eric, B

Re: Let's hear those arrangers! - 12/20/05 10:10 AM

Sorry to hear about your loss ccdmax.

I lost a grandpa a while back who had raised me. So I know how you feel.

Eric

Re: Let's hear those arrangers! - 12/20/05 10:21 AM

Sorry to hear of your loss, ccdmax. Your grandad may be gone, but the love will live on forever.

Jerry: Thanks for your kind comments re. my Korg i30 efforts.

Re: Let's hear those arrangers! - 12/20/05 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jingleman:
I played the Korg PA1X directly into Adobe Audition. Lead guitar patch was then overdubbed on an additional track. http://s52.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=04IL74LQS3MI111PU8BVY1JFPL

Good punchy sound there, jingleman. Just got a question about that. I record my Korg i30 into Adobe Audition, but my recording skills (or lack thereof) somehow don't get me that 'punch' factor. Can you give us, in simple terms, how you set up your levels and what eq, etc. you're applying? It would be a great help. Thanks in advance,
Renig
Posted by: jingleman

Re: Let's hear those arrangers! - 12/20/05 10:58 AM

Renig,

The Korg PA1X has a pretty punchy sound to begin with but, I still find that EQ and compression are necessary to maximize the sound I'm looking for. Adobe Audition has
some excellent compression and limiting presets. Under Amplitude effects there is one imparticular I like. It is called "Hard Limiting". I needed to back off some of the threshold setting a little but, this preset puts your track 'Right In Your Face". Great for radio spots and jingles where impact is necessary. Might be a bit much for all song production but, I've had success with tweaking the preset slightly for some song production. I just saw an article in "Mix" magazine showing a diagram of a song waveform mastered back in the 70's compared to a song waveform mastered today. The 70's mix was mastered very conservatively. The wave form for the new mix was..."Hard Limiting" preset all the way.

Good Luck,
Jingleman

Re: Let's hear those arrangers! - 12/20/05 05:05 PM

Hi Jingleman,

Thank you very much for your quick answer. I'm going to try your suggestions as soon as I get home (I'm at work at the moment).

That's what was baffling me. I mean, the i30 is no slouch in the 'punch' department in and of itself, being a close relative of the PA-1x, but I just wasn't 'getting it' in the recording end of things.

Thanks again for your advice, it's well taken.

[This message has been edited by renig (edited 12-20-2005).]

Re: Let's hear those arrangers! - 12/20/05 07:33 PM

Well, here goes. My first attempt to post something for you guys and gals to critique.
I am no pro at recording as you will probably be able to tell.
All consructive comments are welcome.
thank you,
guy
http://s47.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0MOBLMBBM6QC03PQ37UOYEGIVM
Posted by: Dreamer

Re: Let's hear those arrangers! - 12/20/05 11:25 PM

Guy n
I like your rendition of "All the thing you are".
The intro sounded a bit canned, as it was the standard intro of any arranger, but then I liked a lot your phrasing with the piano and also the Soprano Sax.
Personally, when I play a ballad on an arranger keyboard, I mute the string track because it is part of the dreaded "canned arranger" sound, so to speak. Instead, I tend to play a pad or a vocal sound with my left hand, trying to voice the chords with the inversion that sounds best to my ears.
What arranger are you using?

Re: Let's hear those arrangers! - 12/21/05 08:18 PM

Dreamer, Thank you . It's nice to know that SOMEONE listened to it.
Interesting that you felt the intro was canned, because I played that myself. Maybe I play like I'm canned. I appreciate the comment on the phrasing. I also do vocals, and I find myself playing as if I am singing.
On the sax part, that's actually two different voices, alto and tenor.
I would like to hear some other comments. I will try to send another tomorrow.
guy

Re: Let's hear those arrangers! - 12/22/05 06:22 PM

Here's another:
http://s55.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2SY51FNULJLTB01QMA1MOIA1BK

guy

Re: Let's hear those arrangers! - 12/22/05 07:18 PM

I downloaded and played this from the above link and I have to say I was very disappointed with the sound. The guitar, especially, did not sound at all like it does from my keyboard, or from the recording on my PC. Is there something I should be doing in the recordingor before the transfer to 'you send it' ?
thank you,
guy
Posted by: Scottyee

Re: Let's hear those arrangers! - 12/22/05 08:04 PM

Guy, nice classic Kenny Dorham song recording choice. Nice playing, though you're obviously suffering problems with dynamics (volume) & balance/eq levels. The guitar parts are not only way too loud, but lack needed efx (reverb), yet piano sounds balanced & tastefully played. What arranger(?) keyboard/sound module did you use to record this? I trust that once you get the engineering figured out, your tunes will shine, as you certainly are a competant player. I look forward to hearing more from you. - Scott

------------------
http://scottyee.com
Posted by: andym

Re: Let's hear those arrangers! - 12/22/05 09:02 PM

Hi guy n

I thought your version of "All The Things You Are" was excellent. I enjoyed it very much. Wonderful piano playing, impressive. Were you reading from some music sheet or was that your own stylizing? If it was your own stylizing, you have a wonderful touch.

andym

Re: Let's hear those arrangers! - 12/23/05 05:57 AM

Scott, thanks so much for the comments. Yes, I was really disappointed (and embarrassed) by the 'sound' of Blue Bossa, because as I said that's NOT what I heard from my kb or PC. Being the accomplished pianist you are, I certainly appreciate your comments on my playing capabilities (which I find lacking), but I do try to put my heart into it in a 'natural' way.
I would also appreciate your thoughts on the rhythms and voices (discounting the guitar in Blue Bossa of course). More on the 'instrument' later.

andym, Thank you as well. "All The Things You Are" is probably my all time favorite song (if it is possible to have just one).
While I tried to make the song somewhat reminiscent of the 'George Shearing Sound", the playing was all my own, recorded in one take. Thank you.
guy

Re: Let's hear those arrangers! - 12/26/05 01:13 PM

Here's a blues tune call

"First Attempt" ... I'm debating on changing the name to " King of my throne"
http://www.keyboardcity.net/audio/track%2006.mp3

Re: Let's hear those arrangers! - 12/26/05 05:03 PM

Dan......
Man I love the Live Sound of that Ketron
SD-1!!!! Good Job !!

Re: Let's hear those arrangers! - 12/26/05 06:13 PM

DanO1 ... nice job ... if anything the lead vocal could be more up front in spots ... overall, I liked it ...
t.
Posted by: Caragabal

Re: Let's hear those arrangers! - 12/26/05 09:22 PM

Love the two pieces.
However I had some distortion on my system with the second item.

Cousin Ken.

Re: Let's hear those arrangers! - 12/27/05 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Caragabal:
Love the two pieces.
However I had some distortion on my system with the second item.
Cousin Ken.

??? .. which 2 pieces??? ... what "second item" ?
t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 12-27-2005).]
Posted by: Vadim

Re: Let's hear those arrangers! - 12/28/05 09:56 AM

quick song i played(no sequencing): Manual Bass, Arranger and Melody. same song that is in the topic: Plying Bass, Arranger and Melody... http://www.badongo.com/file.php?file=96k-sec__2005-12-26_BassMelody96K.mp3&s=black

Re: Let's hear those arrangers! - 12/28/05 03:58 PM

Here's another tune called "Mystery" http://www.keyboardcity.net/audio/track%2005_56.mp3

I've always like the this cool bongo part that I added to the song, mid way through....
And there's more "wha" guitar effects, I was having fun with it....

Re: Let's hear those arrangers! - 12/28/05 04:03 PM

and here's "de ja vu" ...
http://www.keyboardcity.net/audio/track%2003_56.mp3

I realized that there are quite a few songs called "de ja vu" , just after naming this song, de ja vu

Kind of an observaton of things going on in the world at the time I wrote this song...

I'd wake up ..get my kids on the bus, look at the tv and see the corporate scandals etc..
I think that West Virgina man had just won 387 million dollars in the big game ..

Listen to the lyrics... have fun

Theres a line early in this song that says
"walk to the judge and raise your ight hand"..I've always felt that the harmony I sang was one of my best mix jobs... if yu know what I mean....

Dan

Re: Let's hear those arrangers! - 12/30/05 09:49 AM

WOW,

So much talent here... it's really nice to hear all this music comming from different keyboards and players
But listening to all of this music, an Idea has strucked me. You know how different websites come out with their own music CD's?
(They take the members best songs and compile a CD...)
Maybe, I hope I'm not out of line here, we should think about something like that?
A Synthzone Members CD...

I'm sure someone could benefit out of this and we could have a great sounding music to listen to and talk with our friends at dinner time

cheers,

ccdmax

------------------

Re: Let's hear those arrangers! - 12/30/05 10:25 AM

ccdmax ... I believe this has been done on this site ... Perhaps through Joe Walters ???
t.