SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#205732 - 09/21/07 09:52 AM Re: Talent
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Rory and Chas...I'm siding with you. You guys nailed the issue. Ask Rory, Nigel or Tony Mads if I have the cred to comment.

Russ

#205733 - 09/21/07 10:06 AM Re: Talent
Dnj Offline

Russ sorry friend you may be right but I judge by MY OWN ears not hear say.

#205734 - 09/21/07 10:33 AM Re: Talent
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Pacesetter:
Please post something so that everyone can hear your talent. I'm sure you must have lots of it based on your comments.

Or better yet, when you're playing in one of the big cities on tour or even in small club let us know maybe we can come to hear your talent.

By the way your definition of talent is not a definition, you may believe it to be fact but since your in the mood to bust people's hump.........
Webster's defines talent as 1.a special natural ability or aptitude.....

[This message has been edited by Pacesetter (edited 09-21-2007).]

People post music for different reasons, but in almost all cases it's because they're looking for feedback. Beleiving that they are better than they actually are, it can be quite traumatic to get less than rave reviews for what you thought was a "killer" rendition.

One reason people tend to be "generous" in their critiques is that in the event that they post a tune, they assume that others will be equally generous with them. I mean, why make yourself a target, right?

Not posting is a matter of choice, just like posting. Each carries it's risks (like your not-so-veiled sarcasm towards me). As I sit here, I'm trying to recall Siskell or Ebert's acting credentials....ummm, can't think of any. Oh well.

Although I do enjoy playing before a live audience, age and arthritis have made that more difficult (and therefore, less fun) and since I have no financial incentive to do it, I do it sparingly. I did, however, play two venues at the recent National Black Arts Festival here in Atlanta, one of the largest events of this kind, and from now thruout the year, I'll be playing sporadically at the Club 290, THE premier jazz club in the Atlanta area. PM me if you're in the Atlanta area, although somehow, I don't picture you as a jazz kind of guy.

Peace,

chas

BTW, how is Webster's definition of talent in conflict with what I said?

#205735 - 09/21/07 11:02 AM Re: Talent
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Chas, surely you know...no one can PM you...You have never listed your email address, or website..

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 09-21-2007).]

#205736 - 09/21/07 11:14 AM Re: Talent
cgiles Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Chas, surely you know...no one can PM you...You have never listed your email address, or website..

Fran, I don't maintain a website (not a good idea if you're in witness protection ). I actually thought my email was in my profile but I guess not. Just as well given the history of email abuse by members of the Zone (I'm thinking Scott and Squeak). However, post when you're going to be in the Atlanta area and I will PM YOU. In fact, I would enjoy hosting you in our home and showing you around our lovely little town. We can weep together over the sad state of the Eagles.

chas

#205737 - 09/21/07 11:36 AM Re: Talent
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Chas, don't you live near Sandy Plains Park?

The Tudor house , off of Route 92?

3rd house from the Culdesac..Very nice picturesque grounds behind your home..

BTW: I plan to be in your area, the second week of November..

Also, I seen Benny Cintioli a few days ago..I told him you asked about him..

#205738 - 09/21/07 12:09 PM Re: Talent
cgiles Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Chas, don't you live near Sandy Plains Park?

The Tudor house , off of Route 92?

3rd house from the Culdesac..Very nice picturesque grounds behind your home..

BTW: I plan to be in your area, the second week of November..

Well, Fran, that's the kind of "attempted" invasion of privacy and public exposure that demonstrates an immaturity that belies your years. For the record, my house backs up to a lake with private dock, so if your "research" on zillow or google earth or whatever doesn't show that, you've got the wrong house. However, your efforts certainly lend credibility to Scott's allegations. Pitiful, pitiful, pitiful.

chas

PS: I didn't see the the second part of your message, you must have been editing it while I was posting. I hope Bennie is well, health-wise. Hope he remembers me, it's been years. He knows that I'm a pilot and plane owner, that may jog his memory (that and the thousands I've spent in that hole-in-the-wall). You're still welcome to visit but man, clean up your act.

#205739 - 09/21/07 12:19 PM Re: Talent
Pacesetter Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:

Although I do enjoy playing before a live audience, age and arthritis have made that more difficult (and therefore, less fun) and since I have no financial incentive to do it, I do it sparingly. I did, however, play two venues at the recent National Black Arts Festival here in Atlanta, one of the largest events of this kind, and from now thruout the year, I'll be playing sporadically at the Club 290, THE premier jazz club in the Atlanta area. PM me if you're in the Atlanta area, although somehow, I don't picture you as a jazz kind of guy.

Peace,

chas

BTW, how is Webster's definition of talent in conflict with what I said?

Chas, I would certainly say your reply is an eloquent one and nice to see you have a more gentlemenly side to you. Sorry to hear that arthritis is effecting you, that has got to be devastating for any musician.

It's hard to judge a book by it's cover, I'm a jazz afficionado. Gerri Allen one of my favorites will be coming to Atlanta in October, hope you get to see her play.

On the talent comment "Yes one has it or doesn't have it" but that is not it's definition. Look it up in your dictionary. My thought there is since we were getting so critical about things I'd jump on the band wagon. All the best to you, keep on playing

#205740 - 09/21/07 01:01 PM Re: Talent
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
PS: I didn't see the the second part of your message, you must have been editing it while I was posting. I hope Bennie is well, health-wise. Hope he remembers me, it's been years. He knows that I'm a pilot and plane owner, that may jog his memory (that and the thousands I've spent in that hole-in-the-wall). You're still welcome to visit but man, clean up your act.

We were chatting with Bennie Tuesday at the store I needed some gear.....but when we mentioned you he looked puzzled?

#205741 - 09/21/07 01:51 PM Re: Talent
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Synthzone Reality Check for ALL:

I'm willing to bet that most EVERYONE here (myself included) is NOT a 'big time' pro musician. If that were the case, we'd certainly have NO TIME available to waste gossiping & bickering here. Hey, do you guys see Tony Bennett, Diana Krall, Michael Buble, or Peter Cincotti posting here?

Realizing some people here seem to resent the fact that I minored in music in college or have had formal music lessons . . . so what? Lots of people 'majored' in music and what are they doing now? I simply love music, performing (via singing & playing the arranger keyboard) and bringing pleasure to audiences. The fact that I'm able to do what I love on a local level (SF Bay area) and have it pay bills is mere icing on the cake. My involvement with music (whether performing, teaching, or consulting) is my life's passion, irrespective of money, education level, or talent. I have no pretense or illusions otherwise, and merely post my music here to share my joy of arranger keyboard music making. That said, I don't depend on responses to my posted music for ego boosting, as it's the feedback from my live audience and local pro musicians & teachers that I rely on for that.

Music's a lifelong journey of discovery & growth. No matter where each of us happens to be on that path, I hope we can still come together (as arranger keyboard enthusiasts) and share both our music & knowledge.

Scott

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online