SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#204698 - 11/14/02 11:58 AM 'Near Field Monitors' to sit directly on top of Arranger KB
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I've read several reports that PC computer type speakers (subwoofer with 2 tiny satelite speakers), such as the Yamaha Tyros speakers, offer impressive bass and treble response, but that they fail miserably in producing adequate mid-range frequencies.

In my continuing quest for a 'small as possible' self powered 'active' personal stage monitoring speaker system that's small enough to sit directing on top of an arranger KB like the Ketron SD1, Yamaha Tyros or 9000pro, I've been considering the possibility of utilizing a pair of small as possible 'near field' monitors which could be securely held in place with industrial strength velco. One example of a small near field monitor with a small footprint is the KrK model V4: 6" W x 7.75 " D. Perhaps there is even a smaller near field monitor available?

My primary concern with going the the 'near field' monitor approach is lack of durability & protection. I notice that some (most) near fields don't include speaker protection grills.

Can anyone recommend a 'near field' monitor which sounds good, yet small enough to sit directly on top of the SD1, Tyros, or 9000pro?

Thanks for help and suggestions. - Scott

#204699 - 11/14/02 12:01 PM Re: 'Near Field Monitors' to sit directly on top of Arranger KB
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
M Audio SP5B's .
or
Yamaha MSP5's ( not sure if these are nearfield ) are great powered keyboard speakers.

dano

#204700 - 11/14/02 12:16 PM Re: 'Near Field Monitors' to sit directly on top of Arranger KB
Scottyee Offline

Is there enough room on the Ketron SD1, Yamaha Tyros, or Yamaha 9000pro to allow the MSP5's (footprint size: 169mm x 222mm /6.6"x8.75") to sit directly on top of the keyboard?

Curious to find out just 'how much' usable space is available on these kbs for placing monitors directly on them.

Thanks. - Scott

#204701 - 11/14/02 01:31 PM Re: 'Near Field Monitors' to sit directly on top of Arranger KB
KN_Fan Offline

Scott,

The Velcro doesn't sound to dependable, you'll worry about them tipping over. how about trying to come up with a custom speaker bracket that you can mount to your keyboard stand? Try also Yamaha powered speakers (I don't know the model, but they run for about 150-250 bucks..sounds pretty good).

KN_Fan

#204702 - 11/14/02 01:41 PM Re: 'Near Field Monitors' to sit directly on top of Arranger KB
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
Is there enough room on the Ketron SD1, Yamaha Tyros, or Yamaha 9000pro to allow the MSP5's (footprint size: 169mm x 222mm /6.6"x8.75") to sit directly on top of the keyboard?

Curious to find out just 'how much' usable space is available on these kbs for placing monitors directly on them.

Thanks. - Scott

None of the monitors I listed can rest on the keyboard itself .

dano

#204703 - 11/14/02 01:55 PM Re: 'Near Field Monitors' to sit directly on top of Arranger KB
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DanO1:
None of the monitors I listed can rest on the keyboard itself . dano

Ok thanks Dan
oh well, so much for THAT idea.

#204704 - 11/14/02 07:02 PM Re: 'Near Field Monitors' to sit directly on top of Arranger KB
Lou Y Offline

Loc: NY USA
Scott
This may be totally off the wall but how about a pair of Bose cubes that are used in their home theater set-ups? There about 3"x3". I have them in my living room and they kick butt. They are though in line with a powered sub...................hmmmm
Lou

#204705 - 11/14/02 07:39 PM Re: 'Near Field Monitors' to sit directly on top of Arranger KB
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Lou Y:
how about a pair of Bose cubes that are used in their home theater set-ups? There about 3"x3". I have them in my living room and they kick butt. They are though in line with a powered sub...................hmmmm
Lou

Hi Lou,

I suspect that the Bose Cubes with sub woofer would exhibit the same mid-range frequency deficiency that the Tyros speaker setup suffers from.

I'm wondering now if the Tyros speaker system may be the reason that some forum members here (Roel and Andrea) have been so under-impressed with the Tyros sound when they auditioned it. I think it's important to audition the Tyros thru a good PA system, or at least thru a decent pair of headphones instead. - Scott

#204706 - 11/14/02 08:04 PM Re: 'Near Field Monitors' to sit directly on top of Arranger KB
Lou Y Offline

Loc: NY USA
Scott
I fully agree on that one. It's the only way to truly hear just how well this baby can cry!
Lou

#204707 - 11/14/02 11:53 PM Re: 'Near Field Monitors' to sit directly on top of Arranger KB
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:

I'm wondering now if the Tyros speaker system may be the reason that some forum members here (Roel and Andrea) have been so under-impressed with the Tyros sound when they auditioned it. I think it's important to audition the Tyros thru a good PA system, or at least thru a decent pair of headphones instead. - Scott

Scott, actually I DID listen through headphones.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online