'Near Field Monitors' to sit directly on top of Arranger KB

Posted by: Scottyee

'Near Field Monitors' to sit directly on top of Arranger KB - 11/14/02 11:58 AM

I've read several reports that PC computer type speakers (subwoofer with 2 tiny satelite speakers), such as the Yamaha Tyros speakers, offer impressive bass and treble response, but that they fail miserably in producing adequate mid-range frequencies.

In my continuing quest for a 'small as possible' self powered 'active' personal stage monitoring speaker system that's small enough to sit directing on top of an arranger KB like the Ketron SD1, Yamaha Tyros or 9000pro, I've been considering the possibility of utilizing a pair of small as possible 'near field' monitors which could be securely held in place with industrial strength velco. One example of a small near field monitor with a small footprint is the KrK model V4: 6" W x 7.75 " D. Perhaps there is even a smaller near field monitor available?

My primary concern with going the the 'near field' monitor approach is lack of durability & protection. I notice that some (most) near fields don't include speaker protection grills.

Can anyone recommend a 'near field' monitor which sounds good, yet small enough to sit directly on top of the SD1, Tyros, or 9000pro?

Thanks for help and suggestions. - Scott
Posted by: DanO1

Re: 'Near Field Monitors' to sit directly on top of Arranger KB - 11/14/02 12:01 PM

M Audio SP5B's .
or
Yamaha MSP5's ( not sure if these are nearfield ) are great powered keyboard speakers.

dano

Re: 'Near Field Monitors' to sit directly on top of Arranger KB - 11/14/02 12:16 PM

Is there enough room on the Ketron SD1, Yamaha Tyros, or Yamaha 9000pro to allow the MSP5's (footprint size: 169mm x 222mm /6.6"x8.75") to sit directly on top of the keyboard?

Curious to find out just 'how much' usable space is available on these kbs for placing monitors directly on them.

Thanks. - Scott
Posted by: KN_Fan

Re: 'Near Field Monitors' to sit directly on top of Arranger KB - 11/14/02 01:31 PM

Scott,

The Velcro doesn't sound to dependable, you'll worry about them tipping over. how about trying to come up with a custom speaker bracket that you can mount to your keyboard stand? Try also Yamaha powered speakers (I don't know the model, but they run for about 150-250 bucks..sounds pretty good).

KN_Fan
Posted by: DanO1

Re: 'Near Field Monitors' to sit directly on top of Arranger KB - 11/14/02 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
Is there enough room on the Ketron SD1, Yamaha Tyros, or Yamaha 9000pro to allow the MSP5's (footprint size: 169mm x 222mm /6.6"x8.75") to sit directly on top of the keyboard?

Curious to find out just 'how much' usable space is available on these kbs for placing monitors directly on them.

Thanks. - Scott

None of the monitors I listed can rest on the keyboard itself .

dano

Re: 'Near Field Monitors' to sit directly on top of Arranger KB - 11/14/02 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DanO1:
None of the monitors I listed can rest on the keyboard itself . dano

Ok thanks Dan
oh well, so much for THAT idea.
Posted by: Lou Y

Re: 'Near Field Monitors' to sit directly on top of Arranger KB - 11/14/02 07:02 PM

Scott
This may be totally off the wall but how about a pair of Bose cubes that are used in their home theater set-ups? There about 3"x3". I have them in my living room and they kick butt. They are though in line with a powered sub...................hmmmm
Lou

Re: 'Near Field Monitors' to sit directly on top of Arranger KB - 11/14/02 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lou Y:
how about a pair of Bose cubes that are used in their home theater set-ups? There about 3"x3". I have them in my living room and they kick butt. They are though in line with a powered sub...................hmmmm
Lou

Hi Lou,

I suspect that the Bose Cubes with sub woofer would exhibit the same mid-range frequency deficiency that the Tyros speaker setup suffers from.

I'm wondering now if the Tyros speaker system may be the reason that some forum members here (Roel and Andrea) have been so under-impressed with the Tyros sound when they auditioned it. I think it's important to audition the Tyros thru a good PA system, or at least thru a decent pair of headphones instead. - Scott
Posted by: Lou Y

Re: 'Near Field Monitors' to sit directly on top of Arranger KB - 11/14/02 08:04 PM

Scott
I fully agree on that one. It's the only way to truly hear just how well this baby can cry!
Lou
Posted by: Dreamer

Re: 'Near Field Monitors' to sit directly on top of Arranger KB - 11/14/02 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:

I'm wondering now if the Tyros speaker system may be the reason that some forum members here (Roel and Andrea) have been so under-impressed with the Tyros sound when they auditioned it. I think it's important to audition the Tyros thru a good PA system, or at least thru a decent pair of headphones instead. - Scott

Scott, actually I DID listen through headphones.
Posted by: Graham UK

Re: 'Near Field Monitors' to sit directly on top of Arranger KB - 11/15/02 12:00 PM

Being retired from the British loudspeaker business I can state with knowledge that all Satellite-Subbass systems produce a prominent top & bottom which leaves the middle frequency depressed. In fairness to Yamaha (I have the YSTMS50's that came with my 9000Pro) they are a good example of this type of speaker design considering the price point, but can sound a little sharp. To be honest mine have been donated to the bedroom TV and they sound great for that purpose.
Scot keep in mind that even small nearfield monitors are usually heavy well made objects and are 2 to 3 times the price of the YSTMS50's, but as you stated would do a very good job on the board of your choice.

Graham UK
Posted by: svpworld

Re: 'Near Field Monitors' to sit directly on top of Arranger KB - 11/15/02 12:49 PM

Also consider that the tyros speaker system is magnetically shielded. Putting ordinary speakers on top of the tyros could risk affecting the harddrive, floppy drive or even the display!

Regards
Simon

------------------
http://www.svpworld.com

Re: 'Near Field Monitors' to sit directly on top of Arranger KB - 11/15/02 01:48 PM

Hi Scott

I am using my TYROS with a set of two Yamaha MSP3 monitors. They sound fantastic! After demoing (if thats a word!) the MSP3s next to the TYROS official system there was no contest as to which was better. Although the official set have good pumping bass, they lack the clear, sparkling top end that i get from the MSP3s. Unfortunately they are too big to be placed on top of the keyboard, I am using the BMS10A mic stand adapter and 2 tripod mic stands which works very well.

Hope this is helpful.

Oh yeah one more thing, if you miss the big bass, try placing the MSP3s on the floor, as long as you turn the treble right up, the top end isnt muffled and the bass pounds right through the floor

[This message has been edited by Yammy (edited 11-15-2002).]