I've read several reports that PC computer type speakers (subwoofer with 2 tiny satelite speakers), such as the Yamaha Tyros speakers, offer impressive bass and treble response, but that they fail miserably in producing adequate mid-range frequencies.

In my continuing quest for a 'small as possible' self powered 'active' personal stage monitoring speaker system that's small enough to sit directing on top of an arranger KB like the Ketron SD1, Yamaha Tyros or 9000pro, I've been considering the possibility of utilizing a pair of small as possible 'near field' monitors which could be securely held in place with industrial strength velco. One example of a small near field monitor with a small footprint is the KrK model V4: 6" W x 7.75 " D. Perhaps there is even a smaller near field monitor available?

My primary concern with going the the 'near field' monitor approach is lack of durability & protection. I notice that some (most) near fields don't include speaker protection grills.

Can anyone recommend a 'near field' monitor which sounds good, yet small enough to sit directly on top of the SD1, Tyros, or 9000pro?

Thanks for help and suggestions. - Scott