SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#204631 - 10/14/05 10:25 AM Re: Must see: Amazing Video Clip Demo on How To Play Drums on the Keyboard !
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Scott,
I'm sooooo glad you posted this video for others to see. This is exactly how I play drums on my keyboard. It took me a LONG LONG LONG time to do it, but in the end it really pays off to learn to play drums this way on the keys. I don't use the small keys he used, but it really shows you what you can do with a lot of practice.

I always trip my friends out when they see and hear me play drums on my keyboard or my drum machine. I play my drum machines just like a kit. I assign the kick drum and hi-hats to pedals, and then play the pads like a kit. It really pays off in the end.

I wish I was able to set up a video of me doing this, but I don't have the stuff for this. I have a digital camera that records video, but it doesn't do sound.

Again thanks for posting this. I'm so glad you showed others what can be accomplished by learning to play manual drums on the keys.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#204632 - 10/14/05 10:52 AM Re: Must see: Amazing Video Clip Demo on How To Play Drums on the Keyboard !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Ok guys, here's more information on the keyboard itself:

Creative Prodikeys , a duo keyboard, integrating 37 'touch sensitive' midi keys with a standard PC keyboard. You no longer have to step away from the PC to play keyboard music:

Quote:
Originally posted by squeak_D:
This is exactly how I play drums on my keyboard.I always trip my friends out when they see and hear me play drums on my keyboard. I wish I was able to set up a video of me doing this, but I don't have the stuff for this.

Come on Squeak, seeing & hearing is believing. How bout getting one of your friends to record it so we can all watch! - Scott

#204633 - 10/14/05 11:28 AM Re: Must see: Amazing Video Clip Demo on How To Play Drums on the Keyboard !
squeak_D Offline

No prob! I'll see if the wife can hook up our digital to or computer and so that it can do the video and the computer can pick up the audio.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#204634 - 10/14/05 11:49 AM Re: Must see: Amazing Video Clip Demo on How To Play Drums on the Keyboard !
LindaFus Offline

Loc: Ledyard, CT USA
Ok,
I own one of these. Yes, I own one. I use it sometimes too.

I have seen this video before and I tell you I can not do that. That guy has magical fingers. Amazing. Now Squeak...when is your video coming out?

Can't wait to see it. You can beat his performance we KNOW you can!

hehe
-Linda

#204635 - 10/14/05 12:23 PM Re: Must see: Amazing Video Clip Demo on How To Play Drums on the Keyboard !
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
There is no doubt the guy is talented, and I don't mean to diminish that at all, but after thinking about it, I think what makes it more amazing to us is that the sound is 'drums' ... if he were playing on a 'normal' (musical) keyboard we would be impressed with his technique, but probably not as impressed as we are because the sound is that of a drum kit ... I would also think that we have seen really good kb or organ players utilizing the same techniques ... in fact I think that if the corresponding notes were written out for the better 'piano' players around here (Scott??? and others), and they heard the musical notes but the drum sounds were recorded, they would produce the same results....
t.

#204636 - 10/14/05 01:43 PM Re: Must see: Amazing Video Clip Demo on How To Play Drums on the Keyboard !
squeak_D Offline

Linda,
I will try HARD to get his video out to the Zone to show others it can be done. I think I can do it with my digital camera used to record the video and my computer to do the audio

I can do his drum fills, runs down the toms, ect., but I'll do mine more funky (heavier rock) with some bell (ride cymbal) work and so on.

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 10-14-2005).]

#204637 - 10/14/05 02:37 PM Re: Must see: Amazing Video Clip Demo on How To Play Drums on the Keyboard !
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Sorry, but if THAT is rock and roll, the King IS dead!!

#204638 - 10/15/05 08:02 AM Re: Must see: Amazing Video Clip Demo on How To Play Drums on the Keyboard !
LindaFus Offline

Loc: Ledyard, CT USA
Quote:
Originally posted by squeak_D:
Linda,
I will try HARD to get his video out to the Zone to show others it can be done. I think I can do it with my digital camera used to record the video and my computer to do the audio

I can do his drum fills, runs down the toms, ect., but I'll do mine more funky (heavier rock) with some bell (ride cymbal) work and so on.

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 10-14-2005).]

Squeak,

I can't wait to see it! Maybe I can learn to do it also from your video? I used to have an Alesis SR16 drum machine that worked well for me attached to a synth but I have never mastered the arranger keyboard drum kits.

Something for me to work at. Looking forward to you presentation!

-Linda

#204639 - 10/15/05 09:20 AM Re: Must see: Amazing Video Clip Demo on How To Play Drums on the Keyboard !
flatfoot Offline

Loc: sacramento CA

I have a video of a guy doing something like this on a Casio. On of the tricks is doing rolls on a single note. On the left hand it would go like this: 4321234321234...on any ONE key. He says it took hom a long time to get right, and it is not a skill that even a good piano player would necessarily have.

I knew an accordion player who could really crank out these single-note rolls. He got a unique kind of tremolo/sustain effect that was quite exciting when used sparingly.

Douglas Wolfe

#204640 - 10/15/05 09:34 AM Re: Must see: Amazing Video Clip Demo on How To Play Drums on the Keyboard !
Tony Rome Offline

Loc: Cozumel Mexico
Thanks Scotty.....I told you that you Chinese were very talented.....great family.
Tony Rome

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online