SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#203293 - 08/15/02 08:47 AM using the speakers in the ceiling
Zack Offline

hey all! i had a brainhurricane. my amp was out of commission, and i had no idea how i was supposed to get the crowd to hear me. i was playing at a fancy pants dinner sunday night and it was really important that everything sound good. so in the banquet hall i noticed that they had about 30 speakers in the ceiling, and as everyone knows, if you have a lot of small speakers, you can get just as good sound as a few big ones. so i got a 3-pin microphone to 1/4 inch adapter and i try it out, and viola! it sounds great! the bass is bright and clear and the highs are nice and crisp! and it was so so much nicer because instead of it being very loud from one point so that it deafens half the hall and the other half cant hear it, it was coming softly from above so that everyone could hear equally and no one was deafened! wow! EVERYONE was commenting on how good it sounded. i got SO many tips... :-) so thats my story! wanted to share my joy. TTFN! Zack

#203294 - 08/15/02 09:23 AM Re: using the speakers in the ceiling
Stevizard Offline

Loc: Indianapolis, IN, USA
Zack,

Glad you hear you got a rave review. I wonder if that would work in my car?

Regards,
Steve

#203295 - 08/15/02 01:27 PM Re: using the speakers in the ceiling
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Zack,
You found out my secret ! For years I've been carrying a wireless transmitter for just that purpose. Whenever the room is hard to cover - I send a wireless signal to the stereo reciever that provides the house music. No wires to tangle - no fuss no mess.
Try it folks - but be VERY careful not to overdrive it. Those tiny speakers will not handle much bass, drums or loud peaks. Be Vewwy, vewwy caweful !

#203296 - 08/15/02 01:46 PM Re: using the speakers in the ceiling
Zack Offline

better beleive it. just this morning i tried to pull the same shtick, but at a party, and the heavy bass dance beats definitely were not helping the speakers live any longer.it was fine in the end, but it was touch and go for a while there. a friend of mine told me that some buildings have a better speaker system than others, and there are some that you just cant even risk middlerange sounds on. which, by the way is probably why no real band ever does that because the guitar would blow it all out in a second!

ttfn! Zack

#203297 - 08/16/02 07:59 AM Re: using the speakers in the ceiling
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Zack ... Good 'On the Job Thinking' ..., but you also got lucky ..... many halls, clubs, whatever, may have 'speaker systems', but I've found many of them to be unusable ... fuzzy, scratchy sounding, .... might be passable for straight instrumental, but as I said, unusable for vocals ..... that's why guys like us started carrying our own PA systems....
t.

#203298 - 08/16/02 03:24 PM Re: using the speakers in the ceiling
Dnj Offline

Big Mistake!!

Years ago a friend of mine, got lazy and used the house PA system at a catering hall....... Blew out the ceiling speakers and the House PA Amplifier. Final cost to him $5000.00+

#203299 - 08/16/02 07:00 PM Re: using the speakers in the ceiling
Anonymous
Unregistered

Gotta go with Donny on this one. A a lot of the fancy country clubs I play have 4" or 5" speakers in the ceiling that are fine for speaking announcements and background Muzak. But drive anything else through them and you are taking your chances...not to mention that EQ is a nightmare.

I have agreed to make an exception at one place that has me pipe into their system which includes four Peavey 15 inchers with horns that hang from the corners of the room. Even so, I have to get there early to adjust EQ, reverb and mixes.

Most of the guys that design these fancy clubs pour tons of bucks into the things that can be seen...but skimp on a lot of the hidden goodies...including accoustics.

Eddie

[This message has been edited by Bsharp (edited 08-16-2002).]

#203300 - 08/17/02 06:36 AM Re: using the speakers in the ceiling
ziggy Offline

Loc: Malta
Have to agree with you there. I play in ****Hotels and I notice they spent Millions and they don't give any common sense about the acouistica and INSTALING a decent system round the huge halls so we can connect to it , so to spread the sound evenly around the hall, For me now a days christmass eve and new year's eve are a night mare poor people who are closest to the speakers, oh well we have to adapt to what we find I guess sometimes I think we do mericales.

Tony

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online