SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#203267 - 11/14/02 08:57 PM Re: PSR2000 with external hard drive possible?
MagicUser Offline

Loc: New York, USA
I did some preliminary research as well as visited the sites listed in this discussion. It seems that they have linked a Hard Drive Memory (HDM) to the system. Since memory is relatively cheap today it makes sense to store everything not on a disk but in memory (similar to the way the PSR2000 stores its information today).
I will try to get a translation tomorrow if I have time to see more about what they are doing. It is my guess that some aspect of the operating system must be changed or fooled into thinking there is that much space available to it.
I did find some replacement floppy information. There is the Imation Superdisk which holds 120 MB of info in a floppy sized disk. It is backwards comaptible and will read lower density floppies as well. They had an internal IDE drive that was 27 times faster than a floppy but they no longer manufacture it in the USA. I did not find any technical specification that said it could just be plugged into a floppy connection though it was probably designe as that. I found it priced from about $74-129. It operated under windows which leads me to believe that some modification to the 2000 might be necessary as well.
Since I just bought my 2000 back in August I am a bit concerned that opening up the Y2K would cancel my warranty. It still has that new car smell! I'm not even sure what kind of connection is used to drive the internal floppy on the Y2K.
There is also the CU-VFSD50 floppy disk adapter. This allows a user to use DS memory cards and insert them into a floppy disk looking device. Then the computer thinks it is looking at a floppy but it is actually a high capacity memory card. This might be enough to fool the Y2K by itself.
Obviously more research needs to be done.
Hope this helps a bit.

- Brian

Confused? Bewildered? .. Then my work here is done.

#203268 - 11/14/02 09:10 PM Re: PSR2000 with external hard drive possible?
TomTomSF Offline

Loc: Half Moon Bay, CA, USA
Geez! YOu guys are fast! I just post my reply last night, and already you answered your own questions! I'm glad lukitoh posted the link. Now, if you go to the Messages section of the Yamaha-PSR-Styles group and use the "Search", you will find the related messages. There is a guy that belongs to the group that live in Russia. I think his name is Alexander Lutov, or something like that. He is also a programmer who wrote some software for the PSR. He said he knew several friends in Russia that had the hard drives installed on their keyboard. He said he has played and used the hard drive and it works great. I'm tempted to buy one since they say it's very easy to install. I wonder if they take VISA or how the heck you can make the payment.
Tom G.

#203269 - 11/14/02 09:16 PM Re: PSR2000 with external hard drive possible?
TomTomSF Offline

Loc: Half Moon Bay, CA, USA
Brian (MagicUser)

I just read your last reply. The "Super Floppy" will not work. Neither will the ScanDisk or Olympus SmartMedia to floppy adapter. These both require you to load software drivers to the OS. That is not possible on the PSR. The genius of the Russian device is it get around this problem because the PSR thinks the HD is really a floppy drive (actually a collection of them). But the PSR loads very, very fast because it's from the HD. Or so they say...

#203270 - 11/14/02 10:10 PM Re: PSR2000 with external hard drive possible?
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hey People

Kind of like being a kid a few days before Christmas huh? ZOWEE!!

Scott

#203271 - 11/14/02 10:32 PM Re: PSR2000 with external hard drive possible?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Langholff:
Kind of like being a kid a few days before Christmas huh? ZOWEE!!

Yeah, this recent PSR2000 HD possibility has built up the excitement level in me too.

If this PSR2000 hard drive thing pans out, it will be 'heaven sent' news to us PSR2000 lovers, especially because the PRIMARY reason I was considering upgrading to another arranger was for the hard drive capability. Now it appears that outfitting the 2000 with a HD will be a low cost (less than $150) alternative to the Tyros ($3,000). Ok, I admit that the Tyros has those highly impressive mega-voices and styles (yet same Yamaha type) re-sequenced at 1920 ppq, but are these two features alone worth paying nearly $3,000 extra for? Something serious to consider folks. I guess the sooner the Tyros arrives, the sooner we'll know the answer.

Scott

#203272 - 11/15/02 12:21 AM Re: PSR2000 with external hard drive possible?
Scott Langholff Offline

Hello

Well, I did find this much so far. Check it out.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/yamaha-psr-styles/message/16221

#203273 - 11/15/02 12:44 AM Re: PSR2000 with external hard drive possible?
Scott Langholff Offline

Also message 16178 at the same site.

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scott Langholff (edited 11-15-2002).]

#203274 - 11/15/02 06:18 AM Re: PSR2000 with external hard drive possible?
Arbaz Offline

It is a wonderful device and congratulation to those who develop it, just a quick question the controller which controls the number of the floppy drive seem to have only 2 digits (00, 01, 02 etc.) now if we buy a bigger drive which use more than 99 floppies how would we see that number? And how would we select it? I am really interested in this HDM.

#203275 - 11/15/02 07:09 AM Re: PSR2000 with external hard drive possible?
ReneT Offline

Loc: NL
Sorry guys I don't want to ruin the party, but in my Roland G800 I also had a "Mega-floppy drive", made especially for Roland in Italy.This drive was just a piece of junk...
I have to admit that it was several years ago so speed was not enhanced like it is thesedays, but the main problem with this drive was the access to get a file if you didn't know exactly at which number it was located.
Sometimes if I needed a midi-file not listed and not played often it could take several minutes (yes minutes) to find it...

Anyway my Roland had to be repaired two times because this drive took more power from the power-supply and the second time they knew that this was the problem so they made a by-pass directly from the tranformer to this drive.
After 2 years of playing the harddisc crashed since it was "on" always.
Not to mension the noise of the drive anyway.
After this crash I just bought my G-1000.I was lucky to have kept the original plate just above the floppiedrive where this drive was placed.
Just my two cents.
Rene

#203276 - 11/15/02 07:36 AM Re: PSR2000 with external hard drive possible?
Scott Langholff Offline

Hello

Another answer from my post at Yahoo psr style forum. Message #17251
http://www.home.zonnet.nl/JosMaas/oneman

Scott Langholff

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online