SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#160364 - 11/18/02 01:50 PM My opinion about the Yamaha Tyros
Micco Offline

Loc: Finland
This morning I returned the Tyros to my dealer. Like I told you before I had it for home trial from saturday to sunday. This morning I ordered one with the optional speakers and 20 Gb Hitachi hard disk. Now I will try to sell my PSR9000. If nobody wantīs to buy it I will give it for a exchange to my dealer when I will get the Tyros. My dealer told me the the Tyros will arrive probably on 14 th December so I have to wait a bit, but it doensīt matter. I want to write my opinion about this keyboard, so here it is:

I was impressed with the Tyros even when I saw it the first time. Yamaha keyboards have always been very ugly to my eye, but this one was beautiful. I liked the silver case very much. The huge color display was also nice. Of course this has nothing to do with music, but the good screen makes the keyboard more user friendly. The Tyros is very user friendly. To me it was as user friendly as the PSR9000, but not as user friendly (and beautiful) as the KN6000.

Yamaha has learned from the mistakes what it did with PSR9000. One mistake was the speakers of the PSR9000. Of course the sound was fantastic, but they also made the keyboard very heavy. Even I was annoyed with that and I didnīt even carry my keyboard much. The Tyros is very light and very easy to carry.

The sounds where excellent. I think most of the sounds where same as the ones on the PSR9000. Of course Tyros has much more sounds than the PSR9000. The new (live, sweet, cool and megavoice) sounds where great. I liked them very much. My favourite sounds where the brass and woodwind sounds. The pianos where good and many other sounds also, but I still didnīt like the baritone saxophone.

The styles where very similar compared to PSR9000. They where good, but still Technics KN6000 has the best styles for me. I donīt know about the KN7000. My dealer doesnīt have it at the moment. There isnīt much to say about the styles. They are good and they suit to my playing style very well and the sound quality is also very good.

This morning I played the Tyros with the optional speakers connected and the sound quality was fie. There was a lot of bass on the sound because of the subwoofer. The speakers are just in the right position to the player and that affected to the sound by making the stereo image excellent. When I play in my bedroom I will use these speakers. If I have bigger audience, I will remove the speakers, I will carry the keyboard to our livingroom and I will connect it to our big hifi system. That way I will get the best out of the keyboard.

One thing I didnīt like about the Tyros was the computer software. First of all, the software is not compatible with Mac OS X operating system which I use. It only works in Mac OS 9 and very poorly in classic mode. Macintosh users know what I mean. Most of the software was not even made for Macintosh, software like Voice Editor and 9000 File Converter. This really made me angry. First I had problems setting up the connection between my computer and keyboard and this was because of the horrible OMS, which I really donīt like. First thing Yamaha should do is to make all the software compatible with Mac and second, make them compatible with Mac OS 10.2.

This is all I have to say about the Tyros after the home trial. Now, I can only wait for it. In the meantime I will try to sell my PSR9000, which I miss allready. I hope you all understond my english.

Micco

#160365 - 11/18/02 03:50 PM Re: My opinion about the Yamaha Tyros
trtjazz Offline

Micco,
Thanks for the review and your english was fine.
jam on,
Terry

#160366 - 11/18/02 05:28 PM Re: My opinion about the Yamaha Tyros
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Micco: Nice to see you back here. I look forward to hearing more feedback from you about your new Tyros when you finally get 'yours' . I'm just sorry you have to be without a keyboard till 12/14th . Btw, for your information, I was a total Mac head & devotee for years, and switched exclusively over to PC over a year and half ago. I'm GLAD I did. No more incompatibility issues, and believe it or not, XP has been a LOT more stable for me than MAC OS 9 was. - Scott

#160367 - 11/19/02 01:17 AM Re: My opinion about the Yamaha Tyros
Micco Offline

Loc: Finland
I am glad the hear that people understond what I wanted to say. I didnīt even use a dictionary when I wrote this review.

Personaly I donīt like the XP at all. What I like is the Mac OS X. Have you tried that? It is much better than the OS 9, which is unstable in many ways.

Micco

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online